I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Current Page: 2 of 9
Re: Another ERN Question
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 09, 2022 09:19PM

The idea was to have something that didn't require anyone to buy anything. Part of the genius of the system. That is why it's named as it is.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: July 10, 2022 12:00PM

Thanks Michael, David, and Tom for more great CCS info and details.

In my experience with shooting head lines, I generally cast with the head and a few feet of the running line out of the tip at most. As Tom said (and Lefty Kreh, too), overpowering a cast, especially that last forward stroke, can destroy distance. It can also increase tailing loops. Tailing loops cause leader knots; essentially throwing a half-hitch.

For me personally, if I try and double haul too much line, I tend to 'try harder' to keep the line up and moving fast....and this extra effort is what usually wrecks my form and the cast.

Good casting mechanics are key, not that I have them all the time! Finding that match between how much line I can keep under control in the air, with the right rod for the job, is the joy of customizing for me.

Ol' Lefty could cast an entire fly line without a rod (by hand only), and made the point that mechanics/form are essential. Geesh.

I hope you find that sweet spot, Al! Would enjoy hearing about what you found out if you did any testing or experimenting with a couple different lines.

Posted by: Al Jones (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: July 10, 2022 05:24PM

Leslie,
You are describing my problems exactly and lots of tailing loops with the tarpon line. On the 10 I've actually been throwing rio tropical outbound with a 425gr head for big streamers. It took me a long time to even learn that they are designed to be cast the way you describe with just a few feet of running line out of the tip. I would try to carry more and it would fall apart. My typical sequence goes like this...False cast a few times, nice and smooth, line is shooting out there then the last forward stroke I ruin it, jerk it, overpower it and it just falls in a pile about 30 ft out ha ha. I went out this morning to a spot for a little while and tried to keep it smooth and easy with good timing and this rod was firing it out there nicely with an 8" streamer. Totally proves its the man holding the rod. It reminds of my golf game which is pretty bad...set up take a nice easy practice swing and get in front of the ball and do something totally different resulting in a terrible shot.

I actually set up a casting lesson this wednesday so I'm really looking forward to it. I feel like the 40 ft head will be better for that to allow for testing different ranges.

Thanks for all of the help

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 10, 2022 07:55PM

If gettking tailing loops your rod is not stiff enough

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: July 13, 2022 10:44AM

A good general rule for fly casters to follow is "shorten up". Shorten up your forward and back arm/hand movement to 12" - 18" - in a straight line. If you double haul, shorten your hauls to 10" or less. It's line speed, not muscle power, that produces effective casts.

Posted by: Ernie Blum (---)
Date: July 13, 2022 10:48AM

Sorry for my ignorance. I have been fly fishing since I was thirteen years old, going back to when fly lines were designated by three letters instead of numbered weight lines. Can anyone explain to me or guide me to information on what ERN is?

Date: July 13, 2022 10:53AM

Sorry for this question, but I have been fly fishing since I was thirteen years old, since fly line designations were made with three letters before they began the numbering system. Can anyone explain to me what ERN is about, or guide me to where I can read about this?

Date: July 13, 2022 10:56AM

Ernie Blum Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sorry for this question, but I have been fly
> fishing since I was thirteen years old, since fly
> line designations were made with three letters
> before they began the numbering system. Can
> anyone explain to me what ERN is about, or guide
> me to where I can read about this?

ERN is a relative scale of rod power. The higher the number, the greater the power. AA is the action. The higher the AA the faster the action.

Date: July 13, 2022 10:56AM

And sorry for the double post. I didn't realize that it went through the first time. :-)

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 17, 2022 07:32AM

Ernie, see the info link in the left column, "Common Sense Info."

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: July 18, 2022 07:53AM

Line speed, not rod action, is the only predictor of fly cast distance. All fly rods are equally accurate in their casting ability, but all fly casters? Not so much.The best rod-line combination for any fly caster is the one that feels and casts best, not one that matches some numbers, no matter how or how many test numbers you generate - or what advertising agents for fly rods promise.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ip-51-79-18.net)
Date: July 18, 2022 12:37PM

How about length? Not worth matching that number either I suppose... I think you are missing the point of why the numbers are important. It is not about them telling you which rod will cast best or farthest. It is about providing you with information as to length, weight, action, power, response, etc. If you have a rod you like and want to come close to duplicating it then having a blank with similar numbers will get you to that point. The more and closer the numbers match the more similar the two rods will be. Or maybe you have a rod you really like but would like just a little more power or a slightly slower action or whatever, the numbers will give you that information to.

Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: July 19, 2022 02:05PM

There you go, Al!

Casting lessons are great if for nothing else than other eyes are able to see your form (mistakes) better than yours can.

Also, remember not all casting lessons/instructors are the same 'style'; though they will likely follow the same principles. You may or may not find your instructor as helpful as you like for the kind of fishing you do, but you will learn something for sure. Are your lessons with a big game, saltwater-oriented instructor? The basic principles will be the same, but the gear for tarpon vs trout is obviously different.

My learning curve got shortened tremendously when I got a dvd of Lefty teaching various casts. Watched it over and over and over. Lefty was so practical and grounded in what works. I recommend his video instruction materials, if they are still around! There are others out there, too, that may be even better. I had to find the one that spoke to me. (Lefty was one of the pioneers of fly fishing for big, salty fish.)

I don't think my wind knots were a result of my rod's action or power. Granted, finding the action and power that work best for your own rhythm and physical strength plays a role. Technique is the larger part by far. I found that my tailing loops had to do mostly with not getting my rod tip tucked UNDER the trailing line on the fore cast. I could throw a good wind knot on the backcast if I did not keep my wrist, forearm, and elbow in a straight line. A slower action rod might have helped me tuck the tip better on the fore cast, but would have not saved me on my back cast being off-line. Besides, I like fast action fly rods for larger fish and the way I fish for them.

All the Best of Luck!

Posted by: Al Jones (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: July 20, 2022 06:53AM

Leslie,
The lesson went great and yes it was with a guy that is very saltwater oriented. We worked a lot on a smoother power application and delaying the rotation and it has really helped me. It was totally worth it. Saturday I went out with the 10 and the Outbound shooting head and focused on those issues and it was just firing it out there. I have just been trying to muscle it way too much!
Thanks for all of the help
Al

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: July 20, 2022 09:10AM

There is confusion about the "power" of fly rods. An efficient fly cast requires the line to be released when the rod is bent the farthest - backward! Watch a cast and you can see this is so. The rod does not store energy and then release it to push the fly line forward. You can't push on a rope - or a fly line - regardless of ERN or any static measurement.

Date: July 20, 2022 10:40AM

There should be no confusion. Power is stiffness and/or deadlift capability. It has nothing to do with casting or technique. It is an inherent property of any rod. ERN uses a relative number to measure that property just like the inches/centimeters are used to put a relative number on length.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: July 20, 2022 12:11PM

You can easily overpower a fly rod cast with the arm/hand holding the fly rod. You will end up with a mess of line a few yards in front of you. But you can learn to double-haul with your free hand as hard as you wish and significantly increase your fly casting distance - with no loss of accuracy. Just don't rely upon your rod, or line, or advertisers, to make you a successful fly-caster or fly-fisher.

Date: July 20, 2022 04:23PM

Tom, maybe you would like to comment on the statement that ERN is ". . . just like the inches/centimeters are used to put a relative number on length." I submit that IP can be characterized as a number like inche/centimeters because there is no "arbitrary" element in IP like there is in ERN. Inches put an absolute value on length, not just a relative value. ERN is derived, not an absolute number. Yes it is relative, higher number means more power, but it is not an absolute number like inches. Or IP.

Date: July 20, 2022 05:56PM

The inch is based on an arbitrary length. However, just like ERN, it is correct by definition.

Date: July 21, 2022 06:38AM

The inch may be based on an arbitrary length but if something is twice as long as something else its measurment in inches will be twice the number of the first length in inches. A rod with an ERNof 20 is not twice as powerful as a rod wtih an ERN of 10. A rod with an IP of 600 is twice as powerful as a rod with an IP of 300. What am I missing when I contend that the absolute measure of power is IP and not ERN?

ERN is a power indicator that is not linear with respect to power. Yes it is relative, and yes it has value. But it has a "fudge factor" in it.

Current Page: 2 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster