I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Current Page: 8 of 9
Re: Another ERN Question
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 14, 2022 12:50PM

The biggest business in the U.S.A. dollar-wise? Advertising! Why? It sells hopes and dreams. For example: "The power of this rod produces long [or smooth, or effortless] casts." What else could power do, especially the gobs of power in certain, $pecific rods? NOT stiffness, though. For some strange reason the rods with the greatest stiffness are universally despised by novice fly casters, even though these rods have the most power. Check and see.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 14, 2022 03:09PM

PING!!!!!!!.................................

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 15, 2022 10:39AM

The 10 Biggest Industries by Revenue in the US
Industry Revenue for 2022
Drug, Cosmetic & Toiletry Wholesaling in the US
$1.169.0B
Pharmaceuticals Wholesaling
$1.102.6B
New Car Dealers in the US
$1.048.1B
Health & Medical Insurance in the US
$1.043.6B
Hospitals in the US
$981.0B
Life Insurance & Annuities in the US
$886.7B
Commercial Banking in the US
$838.4B
Public Schools in the US
$791.0B
Supermarkets & Grocery Stores in the US
$756.6B
Property, Casualty and Direct Insurance in the US
$751.9B

Advertising is about $280 billion. The top 4 above are over a trillion.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 15, 2022 11:00AM

Pong!!!!!!!!!..............

Date: August 15, 2022 03:55PM

Robert, You beat me to it.

EXCELLENT!

Date: August 16, 2022 09:01AM

Each of the "industries" you list has an advertising budget, and for most of those you listed you will find that advertising is the biggest expense in their budget. The cost of advertising high-end fishing tackle is greater than the cost of materials and labor to produce it. I would wager the the top 4 product industries above have a budget which shows "advertising" as its largest single expense. Of course, this is not true for the service industries you listed. You would have to be ignorant or devious to equate services and products

Date: August 16, 2022 11:40AM

No, PHil, all the advertising that is in their budget is counted in the advertising industry number. You said advertising was the biggest business in the USA dollar wise.
You make a lot of statements for which you have no data. Many, like this one, are wrong. Then you whine when you don't get the data from others. And you don't look for the data; you ask others to find it for you.

Date: August 16, 2022 12:55PM

What exactly is the "advertising industry number" you base your argument upon ? Please explain and give an example. I have no idea what you are referring to?

Date: August 16, 2022 04:19PM

[www.statista.com]

There are a lot of things you don't understand, or pretend to not understand. I think the latter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2022 04:51PM by Michael Danek.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ip-167-114-11.net)
Date: August 16, 2022 04:50PM

So this topic is now six weeks old and has devolved into a discussion on advertising by the same few people (no offense intended to them) and with the new format manages to stay at the top of the page. Maybe a private messaging system could be added here so that the non rodbuilding stuff doesn't take front and center for weeks on end. Just a suggestion.

Date: August 16, 2022 05:13PM

I like the new format. Keeps the active stuff visible.

For the record, I built my first rod in about 1956, so I think I am a rodbuilder. I agree that this string has deviated from its initial question. I'll try to ignore, but it's tough.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ip-167-114-11.net)
Date: August 16, 2022 05:20PM

Eventually people start tuning out when the "active stuff" is just a beating and re-beating of an already dead horse by just a few people for weeks on end.

Date: August 16, 2022 05:44PM

It's pretty easy to avoid the strings that have gone into beating and re-beating. They are right at the top.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ip-51-79-18.net)
Date: August 16, 2022 06:35PM

That's the problem. How does a sponsor like American Tackle feel when they put up a post and see it pushed down the page in favor of an old topic that only three or four people want to continue with? I am not upset or anything but every forum that used this bump up feature went by the wayside while this one flourished. Some times it is better not to mess with success. But it will be what it will be.

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: August 16, 2022 07:14PM

Mike Ballard Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Eventually people start tuning out when the
> "active stuff" is just a beating and re-beating of
> an already dead horse by just a few people for
> weeks on end.

We have a term for that in the tech world: MEGO.
My Eyes Glaze Over.

Date: August 16, 2022 08:02PM

If the sponsor's post has interest and generates responses, it will be at the top. How do you know only three or four people are interested? This string has had 3400 views. All by 3 or 4 people?

I know that some posters are just same old same old. And I will try to ignore. But when I see @#$%&, my @#$%& detector goes off, and it's hard not to respond. I'll try harder.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2022 08:05PM by Michael Danek.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ip-54-39-133.net)
Date: August 16, 2022 08:29PM

Look at the names that are responding. The same few people. The idea that dozens and dozens of others are hanging on each new response and running to read the latest come-back is doubtful. It has become a chat room for just a few guys, that's all.

I know what you mean about the soulful @#$%& but sometimes the best way to end that is just to not respond.

Date: August 17, 2022 08:41AM

The longer a fishing rod the more the mechanical advantage, producing greater rod speed at the rod tip. The more flexible the rod the shorter it's effective length, reducing the speed of the rod tip and shortening the cast. These facts have been widely known and accepted for thousands of years. The ERN proves it.

Date: August 17, 2022 12:00PM

Game on

PING...........

Date: August 17, 2022 12:40PM

The original post on this thread was about ERN's - a static measurement. Fishing and casting are dynamic, not static, subjects. Is it any surprise that discussions of what happens with rods on benches conflict with discussions of what happens with rods while fishing?

Current Page: 8 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster