I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Current Page: 7 of 9
Re: Another ERN Question
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 11, 2022 01:48PM

Wow! You're admitting that a rod can have power! Progress.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: August 11, 2022 01:48PM

Wow! You're admitting that a rod can have power! Progress.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 11, 2022 03:40PM

The only "power" the rod has was generated by the caster, not the rod. Take your fish-pole out, hold it straight up with the lure dangling down, release the lure, and wait for the power of the rod to cast it. [Bring your lunch]

Date: August 11, 2022 07:27PM

"Rod power does play a part in casting distance here - the WHOLE part!"

Nowhere in this sentence is the caster mentioned.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: August 11, 2022 07:53PM

"Power, in science and engineering, time rate of doing work or delivering energy, expressible as the amount of work done W, or energy transferred, divided by the time interval t—or W/t. A given amount of work can be done by a low-powered motor in a long time or by a high-powered motor in a short time. Units of power are those of work (or energy) per unit time, such as foot-pounds per minute, joules per second (or watts), and ergs per second.

Power is expressible also as the product of the force applied to move an object and the speed of the object in the direction of the force. If the magnitude of the force F is measured in pounds and the speed ? in feet per minute, the power equals F? foot-pounds per minute. In the International System of Units, power is measured in newton metres per second." -- Britannica

A fly rod is essentially a lever. Power associated with the rod -- or lever -- would be its ability to move a force, such as a fish, or a weight, when being reeled in our when being lifted out of the water and onto a boat. At some point the force will be too much and the rod will snap. If not defective, it will snap in the butt section, the place of greatest energy.

Levers allow us to lift heavy weights without too much effort by multiplying the force we apply through simple mechanical advantage. It requires kinetic energy to function because levers will not be able to move objects unless an outside force moves them. In the case of fly rods, the outsdie force is the human holding the fly rod.

A rod's power could thus be interpreted as its lifting ability or ability to move an object, which would not necessarily be related to what we call it's action.

Date: August 11, 2022 08:31PM

David, rod power as we are using it in rod building is defined in the glossary. Other definitions are not relevant. And are probably confusing to some on this forum. Best to keep it simple.

"Power
Generally used to describe a rod or blank's stiffness or resistance to bending."

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 12, 2022 09:00AM

Michael, just because you are participating in the game that Phil is playing, doesn't mean David's definition of power is not relevant. In fact, part of the last sentence of his post hits the nail on the head as far as how I define the power of a rod, and that is the rod's ability to move an object. And that power is directly related to a blank's stiffness and its' resistance to bending.

As much as I hate to say it because it will just continue the game Phil has been playing with you and a few others, but Phil is exactly right when he says that without input from the user, a rod has no power.

Date: August 12, 2022 10:14AM

Next some people will be talking about the power in a wagon tongue pulling the wagon, or the power in a teeter-totter pushing kids up in the air. Everyone is entitled to his own beliefs, but not his own facts.

Date: August 12, 2022 11:06AM

I understand David's definition and argument clearly, and I didn't mean to be negative in my statement, but I argue that while the definition may be relevant to normal pepole, with normally open minds, when dealing with those less open, and who have agendas other than the subject being discussed, it's better to keep it simple.

For example, I won't get into where the "power" in a powerful aroma comes from . Or the "power" of a politician. Or the "power" of a binocular, or that 5 to the third power is 125 while 1 to the third power is only 1.

Power
Generally used to describe a rod or blank's stiffness or resistance to bending.

Posted by: Tim Scott (---)
Date: August 12, 2022 01:47PM

A rods power is its ability to transfer said power.

Or not

Date: August 12, 2022 04:11PM

A rods power is its stiffness, or resistance to bending. Using the term to define the term is always imprecise and confusing.

It's sort of like saying the most sensitive rod is the one with the highest sensitivity.

Date: August 12, 2022 04:29PM

Major premise: Power [aka stiffness - see above] in a fishing rod blank is desirable
Minor premise: Steel reinforcing rod is wicked stiff: resists bending like crazy
Conclusion: Rebar makes a wonderful rod blank

Or is the only "power" in a rod supplied by the angler?

Date: August 13, 2022 06:34AM

You are right, Phil. Rebar makes a great rod blank. You've exposed my secret. Please keep it confidential. When I get the design finalized, I hope to make millions on them. I especially like the solid, substantial, feel of my rebar rods. And boy, do they have power!

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 13, 2022 10:26AM

The word POWER can be used as a noun, verb or an adjective. Power has meaning only in the context it is used. When talking power in reference to rod blanks the participants have to be on the same page.

Example, My rod has the power (ability) easily land a 50lb fish or my rod has the power (ability) to cast a lure very far. One example refers to the mechanical strength of the rod, the other example refers to the mechanical advantage of the rod.

From all the responses I think you folks have a handle on power but expressing it from different reference points.

What I find most entertaining is the way an insatiable button pusher can get a number if knowledgeable well meaning folks agitated and frustrated.

Can't wait to see what comes next.

Carry on

John

Date: August 14, 2022 08:34AM

Anything other than this: "Power
Generally used to describe a rod or blank's stiffness or resistance to bending." is confusing to the already confused person.

Date: August 14, 2022 09:03AM

Baseball bats, pencils, teaspoons and toothpicks all display "resistance to bending". Foregoing claims oblige us to attribute "power" to these objects??!

Date: August 14, 2022 10:26AM

See what I mean?

Phil, we are talking fishing rods and power IN THE CONTEXT OF FISHING RODS AS DEFINED IN THE GLOSSARY. THAT'S ALL.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 14, 2022 11:24AM

Phil Ewanicki Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Baseball bats, pencils, teaspoons and toothpicks
> all display "resistance to bending".

"Phil Ewanicki" should be included among those items.

I read this somewhere;

"As much as you may want to try to reason with someone who is argumentative, it is unlikely that he will stop his own behaviors unless he is motivated to do so on his own. In other words, you cannot control his behavior, but you can control your own reactions to his argumentative ways. When someone who always wants to argue becomes aggressive or negative, keep your own emotions in check. Avoid arguing back or becoming defensive." Just walk away that will disarm them.

You folks have two choices

1. Keep ping ponging with him and get aggravated or frustrated. OR 2. Chalk it up as hopeless walk away go fishing enjoy yourself and let him become someone else's imp..

No offense, just observing.

Have Fun

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 14, 2022 12:18PM

I will describe what I see .....

In the first scenario, I look out my window and see a raccoon picking or scraps of food laying on the ground at the base of a garbage can. The loose scraps are an easy meal for the raccoon, but eventually the loose scraps are gone, and now the only food around is the food in the garbage can. And Mr (or Mrs.) raccoon can smell it. If the lid to the garbage can is on loosely, the raccoon can easily get into the can where it will find all the tasty morsels its' little heart desires. The raccoon is only one part of the equation.

The other part of the equation is the person responsible for the loose scraps of food on the ground, and the loosely secured garbage can lid. If that person would just make sure the garbage can lid is tightly closed, and that no loose scraps of food were left lying on the ground, then there wouldn't be a problem to worry about at all. The raccoon would simply pass by in its' quest for an easy meal.

While I have my suspicions as to who the raccoon is, and who the person responsible for the loose food scraps and garbage can lid is ......... but I'm not really sure. They could be one in the same person, or they could be different individuals.

There is one thing I am sure of though. One of the participants is laughing and having a good time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2022 12:19PM by David Baylor.

Date: August 14, 2022 12:19PM

There should be a "Like" button.

Current Page: 7 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster