I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Microwave vs. NGC
Posted by: Marty Martin (---.lightspeed.gnvlsc.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 07, 2014 10:17AM

This has probably already been covered a bunch, but what does the AmTac Microwave setup gain me over NGC? The principle seems very similar. To add to the question, is there more of an advantage for mono than for braid?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Microwave vs. NGC
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 07, 2014 10:32AM

here this should answer all your questions
[rodbuilding.org]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 07, 2014 10:38AM

It won't gain you much if any distance. It might obtain a rod that balances a bit further back towards the butt or even weighs a tad bit less overall. It's probably quicker to set up, although the standard NGC doesn't exactly take a long time. I think overall the two systems are almost a dead even match in terms of practical results, but the MicroWave might be more "automatic" if that makes any sense to you.

Date: April 07, 2014 10:41AM

There is also a microwave review father down Check it out

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: April 07, 2014 10:45AM

A single reduction train layout that covers a much broader range of reel sizes and line types and diameters.

Joe

Date: April 07, 2014 11:10AM

Joe

I am understanding that the Set has a 30 butt guide ring and the Castaway has a 20 ??

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 07, 2014 11:17AM

Bill,
It's just the opposite. The castaway version is a 30/8 combination where the ATC version has a 20/5 setup.

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Date: April 07, 2014 11:43AM

Thanks for correcting me Had it backwards
So I can take it the set with 20/5 will work well on a 500 reel with 4 LB braid ???

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: April 07, 2014 11:45AM

Like a funnel, the MicroWave "stripper" guide takes the gyrating line and straightens it before entering the second guide (transition guide), The MicroWave guide does in one guide what it takes the NGC four or more guides to do.

Date: April 07, 2014 11:45AM

Bill....the ATC (20/5) is perfect for your set-up.

Date: April 07, 2014 12:01PM

Thanks Don

It is just that the guides used in the set Got to be heaver then minama 5 or 4's I don't need more guides in my stach It is building up

Bill - willierods.com

Date: April 07, 2014 12:52PM

Bill.... the 5mm running guides in the ATC MicroWave set are lighter than the 5mm minima

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: April 07, 2014 01:24PM

As Joe pointed out, "A single reduction train layout that covers a much broader range of reel sizes and line types and diameters. "
This is the key for me, you don't have to dedicate one reel to the micro wave rod. You can be seeking Crappie today with a size 500 reel and Bass tomorrow with a size 2500 and you know that the rod will perform equally as well.

Date: April 07, 2014 01:34PM

With that 4 LB braid and the same reel I have caught 4 LB bass Just in how ya fish the big ones Carefully

Yet I do understand about the same guide and different reels thing

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ken Finch (204.45.134.---)
Date: April 07, 2014 02:29PM

Don Morse Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bill.... the 5mm running guides in the ATC
> MicroWave set are lighter than the 5mm minima

By my weighing I find the standard 5mm Minima to come in at .1 gram, and the 5mm ATC to come in at .23 grams. Is there a lighter ATC 5mm out there now?

Date: April 07, 2014 02:36PM

I do not have a minima to weigh but PacBay says the XSV4XG05 weighs .156 grams and the XF4XG05 weighs .149 grams...... the nanolite MW runner comes in at .123 grams. That is the stainless steel frame. You can go even lighter by going with the TidalWave set, that 5mm guides weighs only .089 grams according to my scale.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2014 02:41PM by Don Morse.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.105.80.---)
Date: April 07, 2014 06:01PM

Some posters are writing as if the NGC system is critical to reel design. It is optimized relative to reel design, but works well with all practical reels, so well you will have a hard time seeing differences. IMHO, what should be compared to the Microwave is the Fuji KLH system, which in two or at most three reduction guides does the same thing that the Microwave does in two. It is optimized for the reel, but is tolerant of other reels. I think anyone who is looking for systems that are "head and shoulders" above others is going to be looking a long time. I think it is a given that Microwave is the easiest to set up; just follow the specified spacing for the first three guides, then locate the others based on stress test. However, KLH has the advantage of having more options available in guides. It can be set up with Fuji reduction guides, then others for the running guides. If they are done in the same finishes, only you will know that part of the guides are from another source. The final consideration to be considered is whether you want the rods to fit into rod tubes. If you do, you may find Microwave and KLH too high, a disadvantage to both. Then you go back to designing around Y guides, or maybe even V's. And you will be able to do quite well with both. My opinion based on quite a bit of test casting with little difference found between any of the systems. If you are going to use braid of less than 15 pound test just about anything will work very well.

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.)
Date: April 07, 2014 06:08PM

I weighed five of the Minimas and got .5 grams. I'm going to have to stick with .1 gram per. The titanium models would be even lighter.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 07, 2014 06:34PM

Michael,
I agree.
I think that one can basically use a middle of the line setup so to speak, and the rod casting and retrieve performance will be very similar; no matter the reel.

I generally use about 5 different spinning rods that I have built.

I will commonly use anywhere from a size 10 reel up to a size 40 reel, depending on what I am doing that day; and each of the rods cast and retrieve line just fine with little difference, if any between the different reels.

I always get a bit better distance by using the larger spools. But I think that the reason for that is simply the larger reel and the fewer loops of line coming off the spool, more so than any difference in guide size or height.

Be safe

Posted by: Victor Heal (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: April 08, 2014 08:29AM

Mick You should have stood up at the round up. You could have debated as well as I did.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster