I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Custom rod grips
Posted by: Mark Gwynne (---.lnse4.cha.bigpond.net.au)
Date: April 07, 2014 06:49AM

Can anyone help with some custom made grips please? I'm keen to see what's out there but more specifically in the EVA style to keep things light.
I'm looking at the Carbon fibre grips and the mad swirls but am concerned both add a bit of weight. Neither are issues for some builds so I may get some but I also want to make a light build and don't want to add too much for that particular rod. I was looking at some Camo grips but would be interested in others. The only ones I've seen so far are the grained grips.

Also, on the subject of the carbon fibre and mad swirls, how do they stand up over time? I'm wondering how the polished coating stands up to scratching etc., especially from the rod holder.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Custom rod grips
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 07, 2014 07:49AM

have you taken a look at the photo page

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 07, 2014 07:57AM

What most term "carbon fiber" grips are carbon skins over a lightweight, rigid foam core. They're about the lightest grips you can put on a rod and they're quite durable. Finished with PermaGloss or Lumaseal, they're almost impossible to scratch.

Check with Mike Pedersen at Riley Rods. His grips are routinely used in rod holders. He's a sponsor here and can set you up with either the finished grips or the stuff to make your own.

Date: April 07, 2014 08:00AM

Thanks Tom. They're the ones.I've already emailed him. I watched a video of his and I got the impression after seeing Epoxy getting used that hey would have been heavier. Good to know they are vey light and durable. I should hear back soon so will be keen to see what the options are.
Billy I have seen your pics, is there any in particular you were referring too?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2014 08:01AM by Mark Gwynne.

Posted by: Mark Fisher (166.64.3.---)
Date: April 07, 2014 08:03AM

Mark, check out some of my custom inlayed EVA grips. I've done heaps. If you want hard but good quality EVA in the camo grips, Matagi does THE best I've seen and used.

Regards
Mark
Outback Rods

[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: April 07, 2014 09:56AM

The epoxy is used for wetting out the carbon. There's really not much there. Not sure what Mike uses for top coating but I use PermaGloss, one thin coat, and it's certainly not going to add any appreciable weight. Figure these weigh about what regular cork grips weigh, or perhaps just a tad less.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 07, 2014 01:41PM

MArk, I don't even know what I typed to you, sorry.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (12.227.91.---)
Date: April 07, 2014 04:16PM

It wasn't you Billy V. Someone else with same first name.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Daniel Peterson (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: April 07, 2014 04:54PM

I just got some carbon fiber grips made by Mike at Riley Rods and they are fantastic and very light. He does a great job.

Posted by: Jeremy Reed (---.dhcp.insightbb.com)
Date: April 07, 2014 07:45PM

The mad-swirl grips I am making are the same as the carbon fiber grips minus the carbon sleeving. They come in as light as cork and offer great sensitivity. I get my pour foam and epoxy from Riley Rods. If you have any questions about how to do them or need any paint, feel free to give me a shout or shoot me an email. 502.439.4123 ReedRods@gmail.com

Jeremy Reed
Reed Rods

Posted by: Jeremy Reed (---.dhcp.insightbb.com)
Date: April 07, 2014 07:49PM

Also, to answer your questions about longevity, so far I have not had any issues. I have some 6lbs foam I'm testing without any issues, but I generally recommend 8lb foam for the added stiffness since there isn't a sleeve over it.

If you want to try something different, you can also Mad-Swirl over carbon fiber sleeving by taping off various parts of the grip then swirling and removing the tape.

Jeremy Reed
Reed Rods

Date: April 08, 2014 02:58AM

So how do both grips go for actual grip? The rear is clearly fine but I'm wondering how the foregrip will be be with the polished type of finish. Does it get slippery?

Posted by: Richard Glabach (158.74.35.---)
Date: April 08, 2014 01:54PM

no

Date: April 08, 2014 02:48PM

Smooth and slippery aren't the same thing. Hammer handles of smooth, varnished wood don't get slippery, for instance. Grip is more about shape than anything else.

Posted by: Mark Fisher (---.lns1.fli.bigpond.net.au)
Date: April 10, 2014 03:43AM

Hey Billy,

Mate I didn't get anything at all from you. Hopefully it was all good!

Best Regards
Mark

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster