I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
guide size
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dhcp.stpt.wi.charter.com)
Date: July 11, 2010 07:39PM

going to order a guide for ultra light spinning rod.. i was look at chart and figure out about 30 or 25 size for a guide from a reel..
the rod blank i was going to have a 6 1/2 ft ultra light..
Josh

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: guide size
Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: July 11, 2010 07:49PM

Size #20 should work fine for a true ultralight, if the reel is sized proportionally. Definitely nothing larger than a #25.

Date: July 11, 2010 07:57PM

the reel i use on ultra light is shimano symtere 1000 FJ and the line will be 2-4 lb fireline for crappie

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 11, 2010 08:06PM

I would go no bigger than 20

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 11, 2010 08:40PM

I would likely use a 20, 10 and then all size 5 (or 6 max) running guides.

Posted by: Christopher Tan (203.116.20.---)
Date: July 11, 2010 09:43PM

i used CYSG16 as first guide for both my G Loomis S781 and NFC SJ603, paired with Shimano 1000 reels

-
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day..
Teach a man to fish, he'll be broke!

Date: July 11, 2010 10:07PM

i'm going to use alconite guide on ultra i would take a look at chart again, i think i would want put about 7 guides and tip.. from 20, 16, 12,10, 8, 7, 6 and tp would it work ?
Josh

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.ontariopowergeneration.com)
Date: July 11, 2010 10:30PM

Why would you use that many sized guides? You are just using the cone of flight method. Go to the library on this site and look up NGC

[www.rodbuilding.org]

20, 12, 6's up to the tip. Place your choke guide at 27 times the diameter of the reel, up from the face of the reel.

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 11, 2010 11:59PM

If knots will pass the guides you could probably go to 4.s

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 12, 2010 12:21AM

Josh, Ultra Light. Get it, Ultra Light! Try the REC spin guides in black chrome. I dont think you'll be smokin' the bearings from fighting crappie all day.

Date: July 12, 2010 12:53AM

on the chart of guides show rod size and the guide size and i were looking at 6 1/2 ft chart and didnt show a ultra light but it shown a light and 30, 16, 12, well i'm still trying to order few different size of guide and place on rod with cable tie and go out and take some test to see which size i would want to put on ultra light,
i'll see what pro and cons have to say about the size, also i just look at my old fenwick ultra light rod 5 ft and i measure and it has 25 on first and i have use for many year with no plm not ever get knot coz i use bobber with lead under and a 1/32 oz jigh or 1/16 oz jigh either help keep knot off but i woudnt throw through the windy .. i think superline help reduce the knot and i almost never use mono on reel expect use flurocarbon as leader

Josh

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 12, 2010 07:20AM

Read this, it works much better. A chart is not the way to go Read it good:

New Guide Concept - Spinning Rods[www.rodbuilding.org]

Bill - willierods.com

Date: July 12, 2010 11:42AM

after i read about guide, and i was write down 2 different with 7 guiides and tip to see which is work better, the rear grip i was plan to put is 7" long and a skeletion cork insert reel seat, and might sand foregrip from 2 inch to 1 1/2 inch long, then i'll see how the blank place and might the blank get thin after install handle on the blank

25, 16, 10, 8, 3-6 plus tip

OR

20, 12, 2-8, 3-6 plus tip

Josh

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 12, 2010 11:56AM

IMO, using more than 3 sizes of guides on a rod is counter productive. If you want to copy a commercial rod, you'd bebnetter off just buying the rod. The idea behind building a custom rod is to IMPROVE on a rod, not copy it. Guide charts are a STARTING point at best! Personally, I would through them all away and just start with a guide per foot plus one as a start and then let static testing determine the rest.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: July 12, 2010 12:01PM

Josh -

Based on what you have listed ... 6'6" rod, 2-4# test, Shimano 1000 spinning reel, braided line w fluorocarbon leader. I would suggest BYAG20, BYAG10 followed by seven BLAG5 and finally a BFAT5 tip. This is what Gary suggested earlier in the thread. IF you would feel more comfortable starting with a #25 ... try this, BYAG25, BYAG12 followed by seven BLAG5 and finally a BFAT5 tip.

And YES, your knots will pass the #5 guides ... unless you make one heck of a giant knot. There is no reason that 4# Fireline connected to a 6# leader won't slide through like butter. I put considerably larger line/leader knots through #4 guides without issue.

Jim -

Posted by: Matthew Smith (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: July 12, 2010 12:02PM

Yup, ditch the chart for sure. On that rod I would probably start with a 20, uses 5s or 6s for the choker and running guides, then use the NGC method above to determine the rest. My guess would be 20, 12, and then MAYBE 1 more reduction before the choker and maybe not just depending on how it was coming out.

Matt Smith
Greensboro, NC

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: July 12, 2010 02:32PM

I am using a 16 or 12 J for the butt guide on braid bass rods. If you are using 2-4 Fireline I would downsize your whole guide setup...seriously downsize. I have a 7 foot ultralite with micros and 2 lb Fireline that will throw a Snap Bean 50'. We use 4 lb Fireline for walleye jigging. You could probably go from a 12J to all 6mm, or even down to 3 or 4mm for your running guides.

Most of the spinning rods I build for mono users are Alconite BYAG 25J, 16J, 8J and then 4 or 5 BLAG-5J.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2010 02:43PM by Chuck Mills.

Date: July 12, 2010 05:02PM

thanks for many replies, and i'm still work on guide and trying to figure out the size and placement i'm waiting til i get the blank then measure the butt see what the size is then make decide before make a right pick on guide.. i'm doing the major trust in FUJI but i'm still take a look at aluminim oxide guide too..
Josh

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: July 12, 2010 07:02PM

Josh
What does the butt of the blank have to do with the size of guides you use?

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: July 12, 2010 07:12PM

Josh
Why not buy a pile of guides in various sizes and tape them on the blank and test cast. That way you can determine which guide train you want to use. You seem to want to build a lot of rods so these guides will not go to waste as you can use the guides you don't use on your next rod. This will help on your shipping costs as you are buying more and still paying one shipping charge.

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster