I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: guide size
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dhcp.stpt.wi.charter.com)
Date: July 12, 2010 09:10PM

rolly,
everytime i plan to order i would prefer order more supplies than order 3 or 4 guides and charge the shipping cost..right now i has guide that are set in pack is 30,16,10,8, 7 and 6 but will need to order 25, and 20 and 12 and few other supplies for ultra light
byag and blang under alconite guide,

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: July 13, 2010 12:09AM

josh, you have been getting good advice from builders that build these rods, fish these rods, and know what they are talking about. if you are so concerned about ordering the guides, call mudhole or whoever you plan on buying the guides and blank from and they will provide you with what you need. it seems you came here for advice, but don't want to use it. i am not trying to be harsh, but reading the posts is clear. almost every builder here is more than willing to help, but it does take some effort on your part to read and understand these things. guide placement has come a long way in recent years and using the NGC method will give you great results as well as being very simple

Posted by: Charles Clayton (---.ldcz2.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 13, 2010 06:48AM

I don't know why fuji sell the 30,16,10,8, 7 kits its suited to a 4000 size reel only, for a 2500 go 25,16 or a 1000 size reel you might try 20,12. As the builder there's nothing wrong with using a few extra sizes for appearances, you rod, your choice, I'd personally think a hard core NGC rod with a heap of same size equally spaced running guides looks weird.

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: July 13, 2010 06:50AM

Josh
First off do no not buy your guides in set packages. When you do that you are stuck using those guides. in whatever size someone else has laid out. Mostly in the cone of flight layout.
Figure out what you need or listen to the help you are getting here and order those guides plus a few guides in different sizes to allow you to compare.

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.fort-lauderdale-06rh15-16rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: July 13, 2010 11:32AM

Josh decide what is the smallest guide you will use. I'm down to size 6 BLAG on salt water spinning rods. It is small enough to be okay on light spinning rods but will work on a heavy one too (as long as you have no knots to pass). They are fine for fly rods and spiral wrapped casting rods too.

Once you decide order a 100 or more. See where your price breaks are. They won't last long.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dhcp.stpt.wi.charter.com)
Date: July 13, 2010 12:20PM

this morning went back to gander mountain store and took a look at guides size on finish rods and i think i'm intresting into REC guides and they are tough and if u ever bend it and it wont damage it return to same as new, and i'm seeking to order a rec 20, 12,8 and 6 x 4 then tip
thanks for ur advice...
Josh

Posted by: Greg Davis (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 13, 2010 07:55PM

Congrats. Looks like you've done some homework. The rec guides are great, but you may want to look at Jann's and buy five pks of their spiral guides. It's a freshwater rod, and if you are like me, your gonna get this one done and want to try another... you'll already have the guides for the next one if you order right.
I'm a newbe too. The info from the guys on this is have helped me to no end. Follow the leads and you'll end up with a rod you will love to fish.

Greg in Cooper City, FL.

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 13, 2010 08:48PM

Josh-
I used to build spinning rods with a guide train like 30, 35, 20, 16, 12, 8, 6.
Today, if you come into my shop, you will see LOTS of 25, 12, and 6 guides, and very few of the intermediate sizes.
A few weeks ago a local flats guide who uses Loomis Greenwater rods tried one of my 7 1/2' 4power spinning rods. The guide train is 25, 12, 6,6,6,6,6,6,6, and a 6 ring tip-top. (He uses 30 lb flurocarbon leader, and when he fishes tarpon, the leader goes to 60 lb.
He tied a plug on, made 3 casts, and ordered 4 rods. He described the difference in casting distance over the Greenwaters as "dramatic."

The old system of starting big and gradually reducing guide size dates back to the 1950s and 60s when mono line was stiff, and came off the reel in tight coils. The "cone of flight" guide train was used to "funnel" the line through guides of an ever-decreasing diameter in an effort to straighten the coiled line.

Mono lines today are supple, and braid is commonly used. There is no reason whatsoever to use a bunch of different size guides on a spinning rod. Doing so will REDUCE performance, not enhance it.

Do yourself a favor. Wrap that rod with a 20, 10, and then size 5 running guides, or if you must go larger (I wouldn't), a 25, 12, and then size 6 running guides. You won't be disappointed.

Posted by: Greg Davis (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 13, 2010 09:41PM

Great history Gary. Ditto on the 20, 10, 5s. Josh will be happy.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster