I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

St Croix SCIV - Cobalt Blue Thread Match
Posted by: Chris Beverley (---.infinity.net.au)
Date: July 11, 2010 07:17PM

Gidday Fellas,

I have a couple of Cobalt Blue St Croix blanks and I have done a test wrap in my standard black with gold and silver trim bands and whilst it looks good, iI reckon it will look better if the base thread matches the blank.

Can any of you guys let me know the colours you have had matching success with for these balnks? I see that Gudebrod has a "Cobalt Blue". This seems an obvious choice but we all know how thread colour can vary.

Thanks in adveance.

Cheers
Chris

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: St Croix SCIV - Cobalt Blue Thread Match
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 11, 2010 07:22PM

No, the #50 Cobalt Blue is a true cobalt purple-blue. Much deeper than the blank color. I'd stick with either #245 or #246 for the closest match.

Date: July 11, 2010 07:26PM

Thanks Tom. I have a 245 which is just a little too light. I wil ltry the 246.

Cheers
Chris

Posted by: Doug Cox (74.206.84.---)
Date: July 11, 2010 07:34PM

I wrapped mine with black thread and used metallic blue as trim bands/highlights---turned out real nice.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: July 11, 2010 07:48PM

If you will pick a nylon thread that is close, but a bit lighter, and NOT apply CP ... it will look perfect. The thread will go translucent and melt right into the blank itself.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dhcp.stpt.wi.charter.com)
Date: July 11, 2010 08:00PM

give st. croix a call or email them and ask them about prefect match for cobalt blank, i'm sure they will answer your question... i only live hour away from factory, and i have went there and find out the prefect color for all st. croix induble the new avid pink blank..
if u are from north minn or in wisconsin u gotta a chance to trip to st. croix factory and tour in the place and you'll get that all answer. that COOOOL place i ever go
Josh

Date: July 11, 2010 08:21PM

Thanks Fellas.

Jim, I will definitley do a test without CP. I like the idea of the trhead "melting" into the balnk. Exactly what I am after.
Josh, I will contact St Croix also and ask the question. Bit hard to go for a tour as I am in Australia.

Cheers
Chris

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: July 11, 2010 09:52PM

Here's what I did with with Gudebrod Cobalt... [www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 11, 2010 11:41PM

Chris,
I use the guidbond blue that is a touch lighter than the blank without cp. The color is a perfect match, once the finish is applied.
I use the dark blue metallic along with a silver metallic for trim and it is a fine looking wrap.
Roger

Date: July 12, 2010 12:35AM

Thanks again lads.. nice work BTW Chuck!!

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.prtel.com)
Date: July 12, 2010 07:26AM

I use Gudebrod Dark Blue...no CP

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Steve Bro (---.automatededm.com)
Date: July 12, 2010 01:48PM

This was done using Cobalt Blue with C/P.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Steve Bro
(BroCo Custom Rods)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster