I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuji K Series Single Footers & Forhan Locking Wrap!!
Posted by: Chris Beverley (---.infinity.net.au)
Date: July 12, 2010 12:49AM

Another question I have for the "board of knowledge" relates to Fuji K Series single foot guides and the Forhan Locking Wrap.

I am a big fan of the Forhan Locking Wrap however, I can't seem to make it work well o the K series guides. Are you guys having the same issues? There is nowhere to run the loops and then, when you come back onto the blank ahead of the guide, there is a significant gap.

Have we lost the ability to "lock" these guides?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuji K Series Single Footers & Forhan Locking Wrap!!
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 12, 2010 02:01AM

What's the problem with the gap?

Posted by: Steve Johnson (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: July 12, 2010 07:32AM

I haven't used that particular guide yet but I do know if there's nothing for the locking wrap to "grab" on to then it's not doing you any good. Depends on the guide...

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 12, 2010 07:38AM

If you can not make it work then just put 4-5 turns after the foot

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 12, 2010 08:41AM

Chris it is totally impossible to shove the locking wraps in behind the riser to close the gap on the new Ks.

This guide was redesigned to include a tunnel and a shaped foot on the frame to "hold" thread. Even with the frame redesign and moving to smaller thread I continue to use the Forhan in its original set up. This additional "finish drop" increases the resistance to forward slide due to wind knot pulling. The pull out strength with the K is three times that of the LSG.

I questioned Anglers about this significant gap. I was told the frame design was done to allow a tiny bit of finish to fill the void in the gap. The attachment of the two risers and the bend radius to create the tangle free state to the frame cause the gap.

I am building on black blanks and the gap is only noticed by a builder who notices the small things.

We have done several hundred rods and have not had any issues with failure of any type.

Sequence is now employing two blocks and three security - then firm pressure pack on both ends.

I struggled unnecessarily - only a fit and finish freak would ever notice - users will never say a word.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2010 09:29AM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 12, 2010 08:49AM

I was talking about doing the old way of putting 4-5 turns after the upright post. Just around the blank. this is the old way to help hold a guide in place if you can not get the forhan to work

maybe you could try one turn with the forhan or two ??? The thread police will not arrest you if you do not use three turns.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Chris Beverley (---.infinity.net.au)
Date: July 12, 2010 05:30PM

Interesting comments.. I think i will have another go at it and see if I can get those threads packed in to avoid that gap. It is also nice to be abel to add a trim froward of the guide leg.

I have a Japanese rod with the Ks and they have put an underwrap with the accents in it then over wrapped the K on without any locking. I guess time will tell if these new Ks need locking at all.

Thnaks for your feedback Gents.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster