I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How to decide?
Posted by: Brad Young (---.cha.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 22, 2009 08:41AM

Is there any information in print that I can pick up that will tell why you would use a certain blank for certain application? I have seen in suppliers catalogues where they have alot of different blanks for the same type of fishing. How do you determine for instance if you are going to be worm fishing which blank to get? Med heavy or med with a fast tip or moderate tip. I say this because I am not a big bass fisherman and in need of help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to decide?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 22, 2009 09:14AM

Unless you have the personal experience to allow you to know what to look for in terms of action and power, your best bet is to rely upon the knowledge of those who are experienced in that specific type of fishing. Asking here is one good course of action.

Posted by: Steve Bro (---.automatededm.com)
Date: October 22, 2009 09:18AM

IMO, It has a lot to do with personal preference. I am a bass fisherman, and I like a fast tip for worm fishing. The fast tip allows you to pop out of weed hang ups with the flick of a wrist. The fast tip also allows you more sensitivity on pick ups, but then has the back bone on a hard hook set.

For jig fishing I prefer a slower tip stouter rod, personally I can flip with higher accuracy with a slower tip. The fast tip with heavier baits tends to load up when flipping and I have a harder time hitting my spots with any sort of accuracy.

Again this is all my personal preference and I’m sure that others will chime in with their opinions. Hope this helped in some way or form.

Steve Bro
(BroCo Custom Rods)

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: October 22, 2009 10:58AM

Most bass fisherman have their own idea what is right in a rod for each application. There is no right or wrong blank for an application, well to a point, I am sure you would not want to use an ultrlight for flipping heavy weeds. Like Tom said, your best bet would be to ask here and there are enough guys to give their opinions on a rod for whatever application it is going to be used for.

Posted by: Gabe Neal (---.dot.gov)
Date: October 22, 2009 02:51PM

I agree with Steve. I exclusively fish for bass and pride myself as a good worm fisherman, when it’s not lightning. I use a med-heavy fast tip rod. You need something that you can feel that bass pick up the worm but not something so heavy the bass feels the rod first. I guess my opinion is based on the size weight and worm I use most. I have always liked the G Loomis MB783, but since they don’t like us anymore I look forward to trying others maybe St Croix 3c66mh or the new MHX rods.

For a 1/8 to ¼ weight with up to a 6” worm I use a 783, (6-6 in 3 power). If I was going to use a ¼ - ½ oz weight with a worm up to 12” I would go up a step to a 784. If the guy is using the finesse approach, go down to a 782. If he is over 6’ tall you may want to step into a 7’ rod (842 – 844).

If you run into some of the central Louisiana/Texas boys, they will often request a heavy rod (784 or 844) to punch through the grass mats and have the power to pull a bass out of the grass.

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 22, 2009 03:08PM

Bass Fishermen are a tuff crowd. As Mike and Steve point out, rod choice is usually a matter of personal preference and nearly all bass fishermen have very strong preferences. There are some basic rules you can use like the faster the bait moves, the slower the action and the heavier the bait, the longer and more powerful rod, but those are just general guide lines. Below are some specific techniques with some recommended rods/ blanks. You'll notice I don't put any lengths for the rods. In general, rods/ blanks are getting longer, but it is very much a matter of personal preference. I really don't fish anything under 7', but there are probably quite a few people that don't fish anything over 7'.

medium fast for weightless plastic, buzzbaits and spinnerbaits
medium heavy fast for Texas rigs, smaller jigs and bigger spinnerbaits
heavy fast for larger Texas rigs, jigs and Carolina rigs
heavy moderate for flipping, pitching, frogs, slop and swimbaits
medium moderate for treble hook baits
medium heavy moderate for larger treble hook baits and small swimbaits
medium light extra fast for finesse fishing, shakey heads, drop shots, split shot rigs...

This list is a starting point for you, but is not meant to be the final answer or all inclusive. In fact, I'm sure a few people will even disagree with what I've listed.

Posted by: Bryan Thompson (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 22, 2009 03:44PM

Another bit of what could be worthless advice is try to get info from your peers in your region of the country. Up north like Mich/Wis a 6'6" MHF is a decent t-rig set-up. In Texas a 7'3" HF or flipping HMF is what most folks are looking for as you can see that is a huge difference for what really is the same application. Different size fish and different mentality though.

Posted by: William (Bill) Jones (---.c004.g4.mrt.starband.net)
Date: October 22, 2009 03:57PM

And if all those efforts don't produce, then reach for the light spinning rig & go for finesse fishing. Basicly whatever it takes to "catch" one.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 22, 2009 04:05PM

I'd keep it simple - ask the customer a few questions 1/ what overall length (s)he prefers 2/ what weight terminal tackle (line rating is less pertinent) 3/ length of rear grip - important for those who do a lot of double handed casting etc.

Posted by: Steve Bro (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: October 22, 2009 06:01PM

I have also found in my buisiness dealings that alot of the people I am building rods for are looking for a rod that can serve many pruposes. Yeah avid bass fisherman are like golfers, you would not go to the golf coarse with 1 club would you.

I think the level of the fishermans ability and the amount that they fish plays a big role in what they are looking for in a rod. I tend to ask people how many rods they currently own and how often they get out fishing. I have heard also on here that many of the builders ask the client if they have a favorite rod, and if so bring it with them when they visit, and have them point out what features of the rod make it their favorite.

I don't know if any of this helps at all.

Steve Bro
(BroCo Custom Rods)

Posted by: Steven Garvey (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: October 22, 2009 06:15PM

Brad go to the search feature above and search on (for example) spinnerbait blanks or crankbait blanks.
You'll get a lot of recommendations and you'll also see trends in characteristics i.e. "power" and "actions" like Robert shows above.
As everyone here has said provide some requirements, specific use, lurs, line sizes, etc. and you'll get some great info.
you can also go to a rod manufactures site and look at their selection. Many now offer bass technique specific rods/blanks..
(i.e. St. Croix "Mojo" bass rods.)

Posted by: Steven Garvey (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: October 24, 2009 10:00PM

Brad there are two examples of what I said on the board now "blank for Shakey head" and "Small-Medium Crankbait blank"
where guys give recommendations on the rod blanks. I monitor the board quite a bit and maintain a list of these recopmmendations.
So when someone asks me to build a rod I've got some good input of where to start
So as I said if you wanted to get input on saySpinnerbait blanks type that into the search feature
I don't know what rod blanks you like best but you'll see a lot of reco's for St. Croix, Batson, Castaway, Lamiglas and now Mudhole MHx.
If you'd like I could send you my list, I'm at [email protected]'.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster