I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Question: Blank Wish List
Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.1.33.65.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: September 28, 2009 11:17AM

Mud Hole Custom Tackle has always valued our customers and the feedback they provide. Therefore, Mud Hole Custom Tackle would like to ask an open-ended question of the rod building community.

What would the custom rod builder like to see in a line of blanks?

Please don’t limit answers to just materials and blank mechanical attributes – light weight, sensitive, powerful, crisp, XYZ modulus – we already know you want that (and at a reasonable price too!). We’d like to know what custom rod builders would like to see in terms of added value, colors, features, traits, attributes, marketing, style, services, warranty, and presentation. What can Mud Hole Custom Tackle provide you, our customers, to help you produce or construct, sell or manufacture, fish or use, add to the enjoyment of rod building or give you an advantage over production rods? What are some pet peeves, irritating or annoying attributes of blanks currently on the market you would like to see addressed (please no specific company names). In general, what would the custom rod builder like to see in a line of blanks?

Thank you for your feedback.

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2009 11:30AM by Mud Hole Custom Tackle.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question: Blank Wish List
Posted by: Steven Libby (20.132.68.---)
Date: September 28, 2009 11:45AM

That's easy: Blanks with common cents (ERN and AA ,etc) numbers listed both in your catalog(s) and on labels.

Posted by: Alfonso Uy (---.home.cgocable.net)
Date: September 28, 2009 11:49AM

1. Two-piece extra-fast action dropshot & shakeyhead blanks. Generally, I dream of more choices in two or multi-piece bass blanks.
2. Telescopic (not the 2-piece-only kind) travel blanks.

Yes, I'm a portability nut. I have this personal rule that any blank 7' or more should be either 3-or-more sections or telescopic. Only exception is with bass blanks which should be minimum 2-piece to a maximum of 7'6". :-)

Posted by: Andrew Metzger (---.afspc.af.mil)
Date: September 28, 2009 12:14PM

X2 on more 2 piece spin and casting blanks. Plus more travel spin blanks, there seems to be a lot want for 3 and 4 piece pack blanks for folks hiking into the Colorado high country to fish for native cutthroat and brook trout.

Common Cents data would be very nice as well.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: September 28, 2009 12:35PM

X3 on the multi-piece lineup. Travel spin/jig, travel hot shot, travel inshore popping and even if you REALLY want to make my day ... travel tarpon, which doesn't exist at all currently.

Matching cases for the travel series as well. Something really nice ... not a $20 solution, but a $40-50 solution that says "custom rod inside".

Gloss black blanks with a "pearl" or "metallic" finish. IMO, gloss blanks work better with epoxy covered wraps and look great with a coat of wax.

Waterslide labels with ONLY the blank specifications - nothing more.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: September 28, 2009 12:47PM

Jim Gamble Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Gloss black blanks with a "pearl" or "metallic"
> finish. IMO, gloss blanks work better with epoxy
> covered wraps and look great with a coat of wax.
>

I'll second that.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: September 28, 2009 12:55PM

matthew jacobs Wrote:
> Jim Gamble Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> > Gloss black blanks with a "pearl" or "metallic"
> > finish. IMO, gloss blanks work better with
> epoxy
> > covered wraps and look great with a coat of
> wax.
> >
>
>
> I'll second that.

Me too! It is amazing how many potential customers prefer a glossy blank over a matte finish when I show them their options.

I also agree with the two-piece spin and casting blanks.

Posted by: Rich Gassman (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: September 28, 2009 01:57PM

I have to also say more two piece blanks, extra fast action wood be great, seven ft. and under. I have been experimenting ( Modifying ) with the Rainshadow IM7 two piece popping blanks this summer to come up with a easier to transport Bass fishing rod. Great results with the last IP904f I built. I think with the use of the micro guides that you can build a two piece rod that is just as balanced and sensitive as a one piece rod. (Jim) Something you may want to look into is the Plano single scoped rifle cases. I picked two of them up at BPS on sale for $14.99. The Rifle cases work great for carrying up to three maybe four two piece rods and are still very light weight and manageable. I like the transportation of two piece rods so much I doubt I will ever build another one piece rod again. Have a great day, Rich.

Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.reverse.vilayer.com)
Date: September 28, 2009 02:04PM

Better data!

1. Blank weight in ounces.
2. Length
3. ERN
4. AA
5. Easier to apply decal or label.

Posted by: jeroen teugels (---.access.telenet.be)
Date: September 28, 2009 02:42PM

2- and 3-piece blanks!
8'-9' pike (heavy bass) blanks: think the 7'11" heavy flipping sticks but in 8'6" or even better 9' in a 2-piece. I think this would be a guaranteed seller for us here in europe!
longer UL blanks (7'-8')!

great mudhole is asking this here!

cheers!

Posted by: Jon Black (---.stx.res.rr.com)
Date: September 28, 2009 03:18PM

Jim Gamble Wrote:
> Waterslide labels with ONLY the blank
> specifications - nothing more.

X2 on this....I use your CRB Inshore series a lot and love them, but folks(clients) like more colors than just "polished graphite". When are the MHX blanks going to be available?

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.sta.embarqhsd.net)
Date: September 28, 2009 03:30PM

First let me just say that I'm extremely please with your customer service / sales teams. They are very knowledgeable, courtious, and well-informed. It's a pleasure to do business with Mud Hole. I've built a couple of muskie rods on your IS701H and it's a great blank. I've purposely been hard on it to see what kind of abuse it can take and I'm very impressed with it. Not bad for $23!

As some of the other guys have shared, I'd like to see more options in extra-fast in the 6'6" to 7'6" range for bass rods. I mostly use 1/4 to 3/8 ounce lures and 15-20 lb braid (a bit on the heavy side for rod with those lure ratings). I'd also like to see some muskie-sized blanks in the 8' or 8'6" length with line ratings up to 80lbs and lure ratings up to 6 or 7 ounces. I do prefer a gloss finish (love black) and I'd like to see more options with earth-tone colors like dark browns, forest greens- those kinds of colors.

Thanks for taking the time to hear our opinions and keep up the good work!

Jeremy Wagner

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 28, 2009 04:01PM

I'd like to see translucent browns (similar to the old Fenwick rich, translucent brown) and translucent greens (ie "greener" than the Forecast blue/green). Definitely two piece rods 6' to 8'.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: September 28, 2009 04:29PM

More butt cap options. The rubber cap with aluminum trim is great, but stinks for large butt rods. Maybe one piece machined aluminum cap with a raised edge that we could insert a waterslide or decal logo in/on with only a little finish to cover or even leave plain.

aluminum parts for foregip assembly - like the kdps seat nut

rod balance kits - couple guys here make some that if bought in a large enough volume could be made much more economically and maybe even anodize/powder coat to have different colors available.

Oops... I was thinking about what went on the blank :)

-----------------
AD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2009 04:30PM by Alex Dziengielewski.

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 28, 2009 04:54PM

Jon,
the MHX blanks are currently available. Not up on the site yet but you can purchase them by email or phone.

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: September 28, 2009 05:25PM

One thing I haven't seen and would like for our geographic area. There are a great many in the midwest that like long (8-14 foot) light action blanks with fast action for crappies. Some thing in an IM6 like the BnM rods would be great.

Posted by: Heath Boeddeker (---.runestone.stellarllc.net)
Date: September 28, 2009 05:26PM

I agree with more longer two piece Ultra-light Rods.

Heath

Posted by: ed barron (---.alt.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 28, 2009 05:38PM

i agree longer rods 8 foot and up and even noodle type rods colore options are always a plus

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 28, 2009 06:58PM

Offering color options is very difficult for blank suppliers. A single model offered in say, 5 colors increases the number of required SKUs by 5. So if you stock 200 blank models, now you've got to stock 1000 blank models to cover those 5 colors.

It's a nightmare for manufacturers and dealers, unless the dealers had some way of coloring blanks in-house for a fee.

Posted by: mike brune (---.fidnet.com)
Date: September 28, 2009 07:00PM

I second the the crappie rod blanks and would like to see a 7.5 ft 1 and 2 wt Matrix fly blank so I dont have to make them longer. I use them for extreme ultra spinning and a 1 wt. would be awesome fun.

Mike
Mikes Custom Fly Rods

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster