I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Drill Chuck for poor mans lathe
Posted by: Andrew Metzger (---.afspc.af.mil)
Date: September 28, 2009 11:17AM

I've been using a drill for a cheap lathe for sanding cork grips. It works well, but I don't have any options for sanding a grip while I't's still on a rod. Is there any options out there that would allow me to put a chuck of sorts on a drill that would be able to hold the butt end of a rod for sanding grips on the rod? My best guess would be yes, I just don't know what I'm looking for.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Drill Chuck for poor mans lathe
Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 28, 2009 11:48AM

Scroll about 2/3 of the way down this page and look at the Flex Coat Cork Lathe --> []

The uses a tapered cone to grab the inside of the blank for turning. If you're "handy", you could probably make something similar.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Date: September 28, 2009 12:05PM

Thanks Mark, I've got projects that need this, one of them is partially built and that will work great for it. The other is a rod that is complete, but I put the first layer of a 3-d wrap on, and the finish over it is un-even and needs to be leveled out, unless I spin it, I feel that I'm not going to get it right before putting the over wrap on it. I may just end up threading 4 holes on a PVC end cap and using some fiber optic ST patch panel covers over the hardware to firmly grip the butt end of the rod, from there just keep tweaking the adjustments until i get it to sping centered......

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: September 28, 2009 12:59PM

A hole saw device, the one with the three adjustable prongs works. You'll have to glue some eva or rubber to each of the prongs to avoid scratching. It's very similar to the chucks used on the dryers from Batson.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: September 28, 2009 03:39PM

Hey Andrew,
I use the FlexCoat device with a 2500rpm 3/8" drill and I do some nice stuff with it with the cork glued directly on to the blank.

I used to chuck the male ferrule directly into the chuck of the drill - protected with as many layers of blue painters tape as possible. I also taped the chuck to the blank so the chuck did not unwind itself.. Everytime I did this I held my breath - not wanting to fracture the graphite while tightening the chuck.
So I had a long conversation with Roger Seiders of Flex Coat (FC) and we worked out a fail-proof system.

The FC system has two supports. The first support goes onto the reelseat - which is why I always use round reelseats. The secong goes onto the blank 3-4" above the grip.

Everything above is the same - except that I now chuck a 3-4" stainless rod (cut from a long SS hex head bolt) with a diameter of 3/8" or 5/16" into the drill. I then build-up either the blank or the bolt with blue tape until the diameters match. Then I wrap many layers of duct-tape over both sections and run the tape up and down the bolt and blank for 3" on either side of the interface.

I then begin my turning. No chance of damaging the blank and you can turn the grip and fighting butt at the same time.

You must use duct tape. I tried all the others and they fail to hold.

Herb

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 28, 2009 03:42PM

slide a piece of rubber or plastic tubing over a carrage bolt and then tighten
a nut down to the tubing. As the nut tightens the tubing is sqeezed between
the bolt head and nut and the tubing OD expands. I think it's called a crusenberry mandrel

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Date: September 28, 2009 03:48PM

Herb Ladenheim Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Everything above is the same - except that I now
> chuck a 3-4" stainless rod (cut from a long SS hex
> head bolt) with a diameter of 3/8" or 5/16" into
> the drill. I then build-up either the blank or
> the bolt with blue tape until the diameters
> match. Then I wrap many layers of duct-tape over
> both sections and run the tape up and down the
> bolt and blank for 3" on either side of the
> interface.
>
> I then begin my turning. No chance of damaging
> the blank and you can turn the grip and fighting
> butt at the same time.
>
> You must use duct tape. I tried all the others
> and they fail to hold.
>
> Herb

That sounds like a plan right there! I don't know why I didn't think of it like that in the first place....I've done similar things just this past weekend to ream out the old graphite blank that I'm re-using the grip on another rod(long story, took me 5 hours to get it reamed to the right taper).

Date: September 28, 2009 04:04PM

Andrew,
I forgot to say that the SS rod and the end of the blank "kiss" at the interface when they line up. But I think you got the picture.
Herb

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 28, 2009 08:14PM

I saw this, might work

[www.adjustableclamp.com]

Posted by: Bobby Haynes (208.87.244.---)
Date: September 28, 2009 11:57PM

I had an idea of my own for this, maybe someone can make it better, cut a rubber hose that the outside diameter is about an 1/8th inch or less than the inside diameter of your rod blank. runn a 1/4 inch all thread through it and use a washer and nut on either end, tighten the top nut and it will work as a expansion plug inside the rod blank. then attach your drill... this should work...

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 29, 2009 07:41AM

This might work?

[www.anglersworkshop.com]

Date: September 29, 2009 08:47AM

Ken, that is probably what I will build, in the meantime, I need to finish one rod and get it out the door so I can purchase more building supplies, so I'll charge the drill and work with the masking and duct tape.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 29, 2009 10:40AM

When I do my handles - off the rod - I put the handle on a scrap piece of blank. In order to get it strong I glue another piece into the first . You could find a blank that fits the rod and use the drill. I made a lath like the flex coat one and it works great. Just make sure it does not get loose on ya.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Rena Hall (---.oc.oc.cox.net)
Date: September 29, 2009 11:41AM

ANDREW,

Buy this 3 jaw, self centering chuck from Batson Enterprises for $21.26. The jaws open from approximately 1/8" to 1-1/2" in diameter, and it has a 5/16" drive shaft which will fit into your Drill Motor chuck.

This 3 jaw, self centering chuck is far superior to any of the other suggestions.

Click on the following link and scroll to the bottom of the page to see the chuck.

[www.batsonenterprises.com]

Rena (Too bad it doesn't come in the color PINK)

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: September 29, 2009 12:37PM

That's the one. It's called a dial saw, adjustable to cut holes 1" to 2 1/2". Available at any hardware store. No tape, hose,clamps, pipe, screws. Just a nut to tighten.

Date: September 29, 2009 01:11PM

Hey - guys with the chuck ideas.
They are designed and built for wrapping or drying.
No way will they hold a rod at 2500 rpm.
Also, you cannot shape the fighting butt if the chuck is attached to the butt.
Andrew,
If you do decide to use such a chuck, make sure that you are wearing a lexan face mask.
Herb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2009 01:30PM by Herb Ladenheim.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 29, 2009 03:29PM

Rena:
You talking about that Pac Bay chuck, that Batson has in there catalog. I got one. Pay shipping, you can have it. been in a box for about 3 years. got it from Mud Hole. my drill lath works better !

Bill - willierods.com

Date: September 29, 2009 03:36PM

Rena,

Does the chuck on the Batson site handle high RPM's?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 29, 2009 11:45PM

Andrew,
It is very simple.
Continue to use your drill chuck and spin your complete rod.

Chuck in a solid piece of rod, or blank material. If you are lucky enough to have a blank that is as large or larger than the blank, you can use coarse sandpaper to sand a taper on the solid blank to match the inner diameter of the blank under construction.

Simply don't put the butt cap on the rod, before doing your handle shaping. That will leave you an open end in the blank to insert the solid blank material that is chucked into your drill chuck.

------
Although I have many different machinest chucks, I still use this method about 95% of the time. There is no wobble, and no marking on the outside of the rod at all.
The only time that I will use the machinest chuck is when I have a completely built up rod and I need to clean up the handle just a bit.

Good luck
Roger

p.s.
If you want to get a decent chuck, you can get one from Taig, for about $60 which works very very well. It can be had with the soft large aluminum jaws which are the ideal combination for the use in rod building.

[www.taigtools.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2009 12:21AM by roger wilson.

Date: September 30, 2009 09:14AM

Thanks Roger. I will start doing that for future builds, I have one build that I'm re-using a handle a reel seat from another rod, I reamed the old graphite blank out of the handle and I'll glue it on the new blank and turn it with the old piece of blank. Do you think that some tool dip over the old blank will hold well enough to turn the blank?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2009 09:16AM by Andrew Metzger.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster