I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Carbide Reamer Grit
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: September 19, 2007 09:20PM

I ordered some carbide reamer grit from Merrick Tackle. Wondering if anyone has used this stuff.
Any info would be great.

Thanks,
Marc

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Carbide Reamer Grit
Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: September 19, 2007 10:27PM

You would have been better off buying a roll of reamer grit distributed by Flex Coat and sold by a number of suppliers on the sponsor list. It's a grit glued onto a heavy duty cloth backing that's much longer lasting and much more durable than the carbide grit.

Heat from reaming tends to loosen the grit and you would need to apply more grit as they fall off of the reamer blank. Grit also tends to get imbedded into your handle and that causes the possibility of loose grit scratching your blank when sliding on your handle. That problem is all but eliminated when using the cloth backed grit.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: September 20, 2007 07:57AM

RainShadow/Forecast (Batson) has a cool reamer kit that can also be used with a drill or a handle. In the past when I made my own reamers, I found that the grit would come loose and stick to yhe imside of the cork
Good wraps Bob

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: September 20, 2007 09:39AM

Lance Dupre Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You would have been better off buying a roll of
> reamer grit distributed by Flex Coat and sold by a
> number of suppliers on the sponsor list. It's a
> grit glued onto a heavy duty cloth backing that's
> much longer lasting and much more durable than the
> carbide grit.
>
> Heat from reaming tends to loosen the grit and you
> would need to apply more grit as they fall off of
> the reamer blank. Grit also tends to get imbedded
> into your handle and that causes the possibility
> of loose grit scratching your blank when sliding
> on your handle. That problem is all but eliminated
> when using the cloth backed grit.

Ditto! I scratched a beautiful RX7 emerald green blank about a year ago. Go with the cloth backed reamers and save yourself some grief!

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: September 20, 2007 09:43AM

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 20, 2007 10:12AM

The Mudhole reamers are excellant! If you plan on doing any power reamers, the Forecast "Dream Reamers" are the ultimate reamer setup they are available individually and by the set!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Ray Cover (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: September 20, 2007 10:44AM

Do these come in smaller sizes? .26" x .45" in the small size at mudhole is still WAY to large for the rods I generally build.
My butt diameters are usually between 1/4" and 3/8".

Ray

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: September 20, 2007 11:34AM

Baston kits comes in 3 sizes
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: September 20, 2007 11:39AM

Ray Cover either of the two products noted above will meet your requirements.

I just checked the OD of the small reamers at appproximately one inch back on the spiral.

Mudhole Professional Reamer - 0.22 in

Dream Reamer - 0.19 in

Both reamers have a nice taper on the end and you should be able easily use them on "your rods".

Gon fishn

Date: September 20, 2007 11:51AM

OK, I looked at the sizes on the mudhole listing and they had the smallest end on the small size listed as .26 and the large end listed as .45"

Glad to hear they make smaller.

I have been using home made reamers and to keep from scratching the blanks I have been running a .22 rifle cleaning rod with a patch loaded with cleanser to clean out the bore of the handle before putting it on the rod. It would be nice to have a reamer that would allow me to skip that step.

Thanks,

Ray

Date: September 20, 2007 11:59AM

The smallest Dream Reamer that I have measures .185 at the tip and .338 at the largest point that has abrasive. It's 14 long not including the handle

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.235.78.174.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: September 20, 2007 01:06PM

I have had good luck with a 22" belt sander belt in #40 grit - about $1.50. I make a long spiral cut about 1/2" wide around and around the belt. I take the butt section of a broken rod - everybody's got more of them than they would like - and apply contact cement to the butt section and to the cloth back of the sandpaper strip. I apply the sandpaper strip to the butt in a spiral, leaving a 1/4'' gap between each spiral.
Okay, so I'm cheap! It still works as well as any bought reamer I have used, and if I want to make another reamer of different diameters all I have to do is break another rod.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (66.97.254.---)
Date: September 20, 2007 01:21PM

IF (big word there) you use the grit and make your own, don't cheap out on the amount of adhesive you put on the blank (or whatever you'll be making it out of). Get a thick coating on there, sprinkle on the grit, and then press the grit into the thick layer of adhesive by turning it on a piece of cardboard laid out on the bench. That gets the grit more "encased" in the adhesive.

I spiral a piece of 1/4" masking tape around the shaft before applying the adhesive and prepare the surface of the shaft properly first. Once the adhesive is applied, I remove the 1/4" tape and then sprinkle the grit on there.

When done, use it on a scrap piece of something and it'll remove most all of the pieces of grit that didn't get adhered very well.

These work OK when hand reaming cork, but my near-20 year old reamer didn't last long when I put it on a drill. That did wreck it for me. I re-coated it, but didn't get the adhesive in as thick of a coat and had to re-re-do it again...

I use the Batson's for drill work and allow it to cool and use slow speeds with the drill. Any reamer will fail when the operator gets it too warm and it's above the temp of the adhesive's break-down point. Even such a nice product as Batson's... I use my grit reamers for hand reaming cork only. They work just fine for that.

Putter
Williston, ND

Date: September 20, 2007 01:32PM

Just another thought.

One of the things that makes particles come off my home made ones is that I almost always have stabilized wood on my handles. I really think the wood is harder on the reamer than the cork is.

Are the factory made reamers going to hold up to the wood accents on the handles?

Ray

Date: September 20, 2007 02:30PM

Ray,
I use them regularly on acrylics/woods (haven't used them on stabilized wood but see no reason why they wouldn't work) The key, like Randy said, is to go slow and back off to clear often. I put my variable speed drill in the vise, put in the reamer (pointing up) and lower and lift the piece up and down on the reamer. Works good for me.

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Date: September 20, 2007 02:50PM

Thanks Mike,

If they will handle acrylic the stabilized wood should be no problem. Acrylic monomers is what they force into it to stabilize it. Thanks for the info.

I have a bunch of stuff I have put on @#$%& to raise funds for more tools. :-) I will get me a couple of these.

Ray

Posted by: billy brodrick (208.66.198.---)
Date: September 20, 2007 03:24PM

BEWARE OF THE WODER REAMER. I have had good luck with rainshadow and forcast products and am not trying to give batson a bad name! I will be honest though. I was so excited when the reamers were anounced and actually pre purchased a full set 4 months in advance of the arrival on the market. I got mine and loved the looks of them and was touting them on this site and verbal to anyone who would listen. Then while using the small reamer for only the second time and working SLOW and allowing for cooling (more to save my drill then anything) the substrate failed. I mean desinagrated. It cost me twenty dollars by the time I was done with shipping and handling to get it replaced and the guys at batson told me it was not ment to be used under power. NOT UNDER POWER THOUGHT THAT WAS THE REASON FOR BUYING THE THING. That is not what they advertise as it is supposed to be able to be chucked and used in a drill. Just my 2 cents and others have told me the same thing. Keep that in mind before you fork over 80 bucks for it. billy

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: September 20, 2007 04:09PM

Bill,
Exactly what were you trying to ream?

I for one can say I have not had a problem reaming normal cork with them, and I use power. As a matter of fact I taught a class of fifteen Agiculture Teachers how to build there first rod using a power drill and I did all of there handels with the small reamer and its still going. I did however put larger grit on them since and works even better...

Date: September 20, 2007 09:57PM

I have never used them by hand, always chucked in a drill and they have stood the test in a LOT of wood, acrylic and Andy's burls which is tougher than any of them and love them! Don't force them, let them do the work and back off/clear often!

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Posted by: billy brodrick (208.66.198.---)
Date: September 21, 2007 03:11PM

It was on andy's burl cork and i did back off often. The part that kind of upset me more then anything kerry was that it cost me 20 bucks to replace when i only had the thing for a month and used it on 3 rods. Also to have the rep tell me it was never ment to be used with power kerry thats what it's selling point is and why would it be designed with a removable handle if not to use it under power? Don't get me wrong I have used your products for years and will continue to do so. Just surprised at the way this one was handled. Think you should be careful about how its marketed so as not to misreprsent. just my two cents as i said. I did change the grit on my new one and won't chuck it only hand ream so as not to void warrenty again but bought it to power ream not hand. Any questions Kerry you can e-mail direct at broderick6@comcast.net if you wish to keep it off the forum. Thank you for your response glad you took the time to reply.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster