I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Carbide Reamer Grit
Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: September 21, 2007 05:56PM

Those rings are a bear to ream and I recomend any one using them to ream them out Individually and then glue them up after.

Like I said I use mine in a drill and it rocks. Could I break it in the drill, Yes maybe and if I do then I will just buy another one and learn a lesson not like rod building has any lessons to learn, LOL!

I personally will never hand ream again period!

Wow I remember back about fifteen years ago using the old school hand reamers and most of them would last about two rods at best not to mention the blisters I would get and then having to glue new grit on or even just buying a new one so not to deal with the mess. I even tried to chuck a few in a drill and smashed them. If I added up all the time and money I have spent on cork reamers in the last twenty years I could have bought ten dream reamer kits. But in the last four years we have been developing this product I have only used a grand total of four and still using them. Not a bad deal at all if you look at it that way I think. These reamers in my opion are worth there weight in Gold and I'm positive most will agree.

Have a great Weekend everybody its time to go Fishing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 21, 2007 10:11PM

I agree whoeheartedly! I use them exclusively and if I broke one, I would buy another. I don't hand ream at all. Andy's burl is tougher than wood or acrylic but I still ream the grips with the Dream Reamers. Slow but it works.

One thing that I DON'T do is start reaming a 1/4" hole when My blank butt is 1/2"! That's asking for to much. I drill out my rings close with Flexcoat bits and glue them and put them on a mandrel to shape/sand and THEN ream for final fit.. For instance, I will bore my rings with a 3/8" FC bit (about 3 seconds each) glue/clamp on a piece of threaded rod and transfer to a mandrell to shape/sand then ream the finished grip to fit. With wood/acrylics, etc. I bore out to 3/8" and ream to fit

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2007 10:18PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: September 23, 2007 07:28AM

I use mine under power and have had no problem reaming standard cok or Burl cork, I ream slowly and continuely move my reamer back and forth removing all dust particals. By doing this it helps remove any heat build up. Back when I built my own reamers using grite and old solid glass blanks , I found out early if I used high speeds and pressed hard I would create enought heat I would melt the rod and even burn my cork. The Batson reamer is a excellant tool if used correctly. I have had mine for about 8 months and I am still on my first reamer paper. I build all my grips one ring at a time.
Good Wraps Bob

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster