I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Head Count!! How many of you have not tried Forecast Components?
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 21, 2007 07:31PM

Kerry Batson wrote

“5, 4.5, 4, 3.5, 3.0, 2.5 and even size 2 rings! I do not know how strong of guide they would be but these would greatly decrease the weight of any ultra light if that was your main goal. The market has not yet demanded such guides but they are out there.
I believe at the NC Show there was a rod running around with those guides on them, wonder how that rod is holding up to fishing conditions.”

In answer to that Question; I have been using those two rods in Bass tournaments all year, fishing many days and many tournaments.

2mm on the spinning rod and 2.5mm on the bait caster.

I have experienced not problems with the guides at all. I routinely throw 10-12lb mono on the
Bait caster and 15 lb. braid on the spinning rod. But could use heavier on either one with out casting distance restrictions

Both of these rods are incredible instruments the have been performing far above what I expected when I built them!

Batson Guides on Batson blanks I’m hooked for life.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: June 21, 2007 07:34PM

Hi fred,
I looked at the metal ring guides very closely but I found that not only do they groove they also make noise. Kind of left a bad tast in my mouth. As a rod builder the Recoil guides are up on my list although you would never see me use them but then again I still have a problem with them cosmeticaly. What we did with the new VS3 guide was thin the ring down and it has become a very good seller for those who are looking for something diffrent but not to far out side the box. I will continue to look for better material that are as hard as what we curently use to elimante Cermic all togther due to the weight but at this time there is no such animal.

Ok enough about what we need we have well over 3,500 items and we are about to introduce another 100 to the list next month.

How about who has not used any of our Forecast components and if not why..

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: June 21, 2007 07:41PM

Right on Steve glad you chimed in now what one of our distributors are going to step up to the plate and bring them in!! I have quoted some of them already well over three months ago :) Cheers time for me! Time to go home I look forward to some of the responses in the morning.

Keep in mind if any of you want to drop me an Email at karry@batsonenterprises.com feel free I have been known to throw around a few fish pics from time to time as well so watch out.

Posted by: Mark Fisher (---.sa.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 21, 2007 07:42PM

Bill, just my point of view. I have attempted to buy Batson components from the Aussie supplier who I will not name but I have not received any replies after a number of emails. I eventually stuck with one of our RB Aussie sponsors and buy the Freeway guides or Fuji. I really would like to try your newer salt water guides and fittings but I am not willing to import them as the cost benefit just isn't there.

I did buy some Forecaste and Rainshadow blanks some time ago and their quality is excellent.

Regards
Mark
OUTBACK RODS

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: June 21, 2007 07:46PM

Have used Forecast blanks purchased from Neal's. Really like them. Tough as nails ,straight as an arrow and with a good finish. Not sure if I have used any of your guides. Haven't used your reel seats.

Jay

Posted by: Greg Marshall (---.69-92-cpe.cableone.net)
Date: June 21, 2007 09:27PM

Karry,
Have used a few Rainshadow blanks. I've seen mention of your having components but have never really looked into what you carry. Would like to see a catalog.
Thanks,
Greg Marshall

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: June 21, 2007 10:13PM

I may have been one of the toughest to convert, but I am now a firm Forecast/Rainshadow customer. Blanks are too good for the money, reel seats are solid and have nice finish, and I would put their guides against any others on the market. I had not used much of the Forecast product until this year. I called Batson direct with some questions earlier this year and Bill answered the phone. He spent almost 1/2 hour not only talking, but listening. GREAT people and product.

BTW - the only thing better than buying Forecast stuff, is buying Forecast stuff from Fishsticks4U!!

Thanks guys,
Marc

Posted by: Mark B. Gonsalves (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: June 21, 2007 10:27PM

Aloha to the Batsons. I use your rod blanks but not your components. I have always (20 years) used Fuji components because their products always met MY needs. The other major component suppliers products that I tried were really shoddy compared to Fuji products. I stopped using Fuji stainless framed guides because they would always rust on me in a few years and started using titanium framed ones. Fuji seats never left anything to be desired so I always used them. Just recently ventured to another company's "holo" guides and wound up with disappointment when corrosion set in after 2 years of light use. Will never use their product again. Have just wrapped another rod with Titan guides-will see how they hold up. Untill somebody "betters" Fuji I just don't see any reason to change. I would be more than willing to try your components sometime in the future, especially if you come out with titanium framed guides. I wish there were more/better/cheaper alternatives to Fuji and sounds like you're on the right track.

Posted by: Anthony Lee (---.cache.maxonline.com.sg)
Date: June 21, 2007 10:27PM

Karry,

Though I have been building for the last decade, I have not seen nor held any of your components. None of the tackle shops in Singapore carry your products and all we know are basically Fuji, Pac Bay and Aftco. Fuji reel seats are the standard for graphite and, Pac Bay and Aftco for aluminum (salt water). Fuji SIC guides is definitely the standard for all builders. For cosmetic and sometimes functional components, Matagi is the leader . Huge market for salt water jigging using metal jigs. When are you guys coming?

Anthony Lee

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 21, 2007 10:37PM

I have not used the forecast components but did take a good look at them at the show in NC this past winter and have viewed them on the rods of other rod builders that I know. Same for Pacific Bay and American Tackle guides and seats. They all seem to be improving year by year, but in some twenty plus years of building rods for the most demanding applications I can honestly say that I have never, never, never had a Fuji guide or component let me down. Not even once. When repairs come into my shop, the only time I see a failed Fuji item is when it's been horribly abused. They do not just fall apart or fail for no reason. I have seen others that do.

I'm leery of the supposed tests by indenpendent labs that are done. I tend to think they are swayed to get the results that are desired. So I judge quality with my eyes and my hands. I've been doing this long enough to know what quality is. All these products seem pretty good these days but I firmly believe Fuji still has the best quality pieces.

I am not going to argue over this with anyone. As I have said, my eyes and my hands are my judge and my experience on the water backs them up. I will bet you that I am speaking for a very large number of builders who are silent on this subject. But we would gladly PAY for Fuji products rather than use FREE components supplied by anybody else. That's how I feel anyway. Not a jab at you or your company and I have used a few Rainshadow blanks and liked them. But my guides and seats will remain Fuji brand.

Posted by: kevin klockow (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: June 21, 2007 10:52PM

I have found all Batson products that I have used to be of the highest quality, and my family has put them to the test. The value of their products is the best I've seen, but what really sets them apart for me is the personal service and the way they treat each individual. The Batsons have been instrumental in my growth as rodbuilder. I can't thank you guys enough. kevin klockow.

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.theedge.ca)
Date: June 21, 2007 10:54PM

I am a new builder and so have limited exposure to the world of rod building parts. I have built a Rain Shadow RX7 10' 8wt into a spinning rod for chucking spoons and bottom bouncing for steelhead and it is quite nice. I am currently building an RX7 10 1/2' 7wt flyrod and have used an Alps Triangle reel seat. I will say that the Alps seat while being a little spendy is simply awesome, great looking and locks the reel in rock solid.
I like alot of others would love to see a Titanium SIC guide and while I'm wishing a 15' 3piece Rain Shadow 4-8# float rod would be sweet.

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: Steve Bolton (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 21, 2007 10:57PM

I love the blanks have 7 of them but there are so many choices out there for components and so with regret I have used the Fuji label on most of the blanks. The next Rainshadow I buy I'll try your reel seats and guides. Steve

Posted by: Mike Doran (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: June 21, 2007 11:20PM

have used your blanks for some time. I was unaware until I went to the Expo in High Point that you also supplied components. Since meeting oith your peoople at the Expo I have also started uaing you components on some builds. I am very impressed and will continue to support you.

Mike Doran
MD Custon Rods
Spring, Texas

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 21, 2007 11:32PM

C'mon guys,

Karry asked for a show of hands (so to speak) from those who have NOT used any Batson components
and why? Many of us already have and are very happy with them but that is not what this thread is about.

While all the accolades are well deserved, if everyone who has used Batson components uses this
thread to voice their praise I fear it will be 10 pages long in no time and getting to the meat of the thread
will take the whole weekend! LOL

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 22, 2007 12:04AM

I haven't used any Batson products. Not for the reason that I don't know they are there, I do. I usually only build rods for gifts to friends and family. My main focus is restoring / rebuilding / customizing rods for children. I use castoffs / flea market / yard sale finds for this. If I ever do get a high end order, you can bet I'll be looking at Batson though.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.net)
Date: June 22, 2007 12:17AM

Okay, I'll admit it. I have not used any Batson components.....yet. Well, I did use one graphite TN handle kit.

I have purchased a couple dozen Batson blanks, mostly Rainshadows, but I also have an SB822.5 that I want to build for me, and I have a Forecast fly blank in the shop for me too. Karry, the CB66M you recommended has been awesome - thanks!

I want to try the VS3 guides. They look to be very similar in height to the Fuji Alconite Concept guides I've been using. I really want to try them and I hope they are lighter than they look. For seats I have been using a lot of the Fuji NPS so you would need to clone that or improve it to get my attention for a spinning seat. I am finding that there is a market here for "bling" rods - themes such as school colors & sport teams. Colored guides are a must. It seems that most of the VS3 are black frames - not cool. I am interested in the colored M guides but I would rather point and click to order than call to see what is in stock at several sources. Another important point is to have matching colored fly guides for those of use using the "concept" system.

I will say that I am really tired of grinding guide feet so it would be a plus to try yours.

Chuck

Posted by: PAUL FANNON (116.90.53.---)
Date: June 22, 2007 01:13AM

Karry,
I would love to get into some of your product.
When are you going to appoint an agent in AUS.

Paul

I fish therefore I am.
www.hookeduprods.com

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 22, 2007 01:26AM

OK Karry, looks like there's a call for Titanium guides that's at the level of Fuji's quality......:) They dominate right now and is really the only game in town except for one other brand that is not quite as good.

Mo

Posted by: Craig Sawtelle (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 22, 2007 01:33AM

Karry, Would like to respond, but your e-mail is hidden.

Pages: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster