I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Head Count!! How many of you have not tried Forecast Components?
Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: June 21, 2007 11:52AM

I just recieved a call from a consumer that has been using the Rainshadow/Forecast rod blanks for years but has never tried our components and really did not know we had components. That blows me away so I figured I could see if any one here is in the same boat. I look forward to some of your responses. Best Regards, Karry Batson

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Head Count!! How many of you have not tried Forecast Components?
Posted by: Joshua Turner (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: June 21, 2007 12:14PM

I've been using components but haven't gotten around to using any of the blanks yet.

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.phlapafg.covad.net)
Date: June 21, 2007 12:23PM

Keep pushing the catalog, Kerry. I knew of Batson blanks, and was vaguely aware that you made some other stuff, but when I ordered the catalog and saw what was inside I was blown away by the breadth and quality of what's available from Batson. The catalog is excellent -- and you can get one free -- and I'll be sure to use Batson components much more because of it.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: June 21, 2007 12:29PM

I have used a few of your rod blanks and am well aware that you carry components. I have been using Fuji guides and reel seats. I am very satisfied with those products and see no reason to change; those products are available locally and I receive a discount from the owner of the store for being a long standing customer. I don't wrap rods commercially. Lately I have been building fly rods and started using Pac Bay reel seats and guides. A friend of mine (now deceased) used to be a distributor and I got to see the products first hand. The Channel Lock reel seats are what I use on saltwater rods. So why change when Fuji and Pac Bay fill my needs? One feature that I like on the Fuji trigger reel seats with the exposed portion is that they come with the size of the blank channel stamped on them. I guess it all boils down to the fact that I like the quality of these two product lines.

Posted by: Galen Briese (134.129.79.---)
Date: June 21, 2007 12:55PM

Karry, I have been building on Rainshadow blanks and forecast blanks since I started building in 2001. I am totally satisfied with the products. The blanks have been exceptional, straight and great quality, I have built on the RX7 and blue forecast, and now the new forecast, price is right, and the service for warranty has been great! I imagine that I have built about 75-100 Batson blanks to date. As far as the guides I started using them when they first came out and to date they are my go to guides, I use the zirconium in the colors, gold, blue, grey, totally satisfied. My customers really like the selection. I also use a few fuji in the alconites, but only two choices for variety. I just wish that you folks carried a line of ice rod blanks. Last rod I built was a Forecast Dark Blue 2 wt. 6'6" fly rod into a ultra lite and it really has been a fun rod, exceptional for bluegills, perch, and crappies. I also have caught a few bass and walleye. Just a fun rod. I am making a few more, can't have too many. I usually have a half dozen blanks on hand at all times. I build mostly walleye/pike rods and ultra lites. Black and gold guides would be a good addition, and it would be nice to be able to get my hands on some skelton sets for spinning reel seats. Question do you make trigger skeleton sets for casting rods. Until now I have been cutting apart casting seats, that have a straight barrel when I can find them and using stabilized wood inserts, for a much nicer handle.
Just my thoughts on the subject. Galen Briese

Posted by: Curtis Trompler (---.austinareaobgyn.com)
Date: June 21, 2007 12:58PM

Part of the problem may be the some vendors rename your products as their house brand. Hook and Hackle comes to mind. I probably have used your reel seat and guides under some other name.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 21, 2007 01:14PM

I use and like the Batson components/blanks but also like Fuji, American Tackle, PacBay, etc. and find them all high quality. I use many brands, depending on circumstance/applications and price!! Batson has some very good components and I like them, but so do others and I don't understand how liking what you use makes you" indifferent"

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2007 02:00PM by Moderator.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.108.---)
Date: June 21, 2007 01:19PM

One could easily point out the shortcomings of ANY guide/seat that anyone uses. Fuji, Forcast, Amtak, Pac Bay - you name it and someone can find something wrong with it and sell you why another product is better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2007 02:00PM by Moderator.

Date: June 21, 2007 01:20PM

Dear Ellis,
Yes its a case of if its not broke dont fix it. I really think you should either get one of our catalogs or open up the one you have. You mentioned that you like the size stamped inside the Fuji Exposed seat well we have been doing that for several years now as well as a new arbor system built in to the seat so you will have a sure fit evrytime. On Page 61 this will show you. Also we have a new Textured coating on them as well that has been out for over a year and it gives a softer feel in the hand. One of the biggect reasons to try our products is because we are rod builders here as well so our customer service support is amazing. We have launched the new SS316 stainless guides for saltwater in both Alps XN guides and Forecast Guides including VS3 and many more. We are trying to get out of the "Me too" product lines and offer products that are truley inovated and perform better. In time we will show why the SS316 is better than other componies so be on the look out. All these products are now available so contact one of our Stocking Distributers and ask them about it. Sincerely, Karry Batson

Date: June 21, 2007 01:55PM

Thanks for the input guys and the continued support but I would like to also here from folks that have not used them. Sincerely, Karry Batson

Posted by: Moderator (Moderator)
Date: June 21, 2007 02:03PM

If you chose to answer Karry Batson's question please do so and there is no need to get off topic.

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: June 21, 2007 02:06PM

PRICE, PRICE,PRICE, That's what it's all about. Karry you and Bill keep it up and I'm hooked for life. Jesse

Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: June 21, 2007 02:08PM

I've never used any of Batson's products.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 21, 2007 02:14PM

Finally picked up a couple of Forecast blanks. Impressed by the quality for the $. Bravo.

No component yet because I use primary Fuji's TI-SIC and a few Recoils. Since I do primarily UL type stuff, I'm looking for light guides. If you offered Titanium guides as light as Fuji at a better price, I'd be all over them too. (There's another US brand that makes titanium guides but these are quite a bit heavier than the Fuji's so I don't use them either.)

Mo

Date: June 21, 2007 02:16PM

Hi Galen,
Black and Gold ring guides are available through several of our distributers. They special order them in several difrent styles including Roller guides as well. I you drop me an email I will point you to the distributers but most of them are on the sponser list to the left like FishSticks 4 U Schnieders and Neals to name a few. We also have them in stock in the VS3 spin models and they are perfect for medium to medium heavy inshore rods ETC I know Custom Tackle Supply has a few sets of the VS3 black and gold as well. We also have Skeletons for size 16 and 17 spin seats in several colors see page 74. karry@batsonenterprises.com

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an3.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: June 21, 2007 02:17PM

I have used most all of your stuff. Great !!! There are some who have not ???

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.southslope.net)
Date: June 21, 2007 02:27PM

I can say that I have not. No reason why, maybe I need a catalog.............................

Date: June 21, 2007 02:32PM

Scott,
Do you have one of my catalogs? If not then toss me an email and I will send you one you will be blown away as to all the choices we offer. What typs of rods are you building?

Mo Yang,
Yes it has been a topic for Batson as of late but the lighter the guide and the thinner the material menase that the ring has a better chance to fall out. In saying that many of our customers choose to run the F guides all the way down and then run either the VS, or VS3 for the stripper guide on spining rods. Bty the VS3 spin guides have a thin ring to decrease mush of the over all weight of the guide. You may be very surprised but most of the weight you feel in guides is the ring not the frame. This concept does give it a lighter look and feel without the cost of Titanium.

Also not available out of stock and my distributers may get up set with me for not brining it up but did you know there are several smaller sizes available like sizes like 5,4.5,4,3.5,3.0,2.5 and even a size 2 rings! I do not know how strong of guide they would be but these would greatly decrease the weight of any ultra light if that was your main goal. The market has not yet demanded such guides but they are out there. I believe at the NC Show there was a rod running around with those guides on them, wonder how that rod is holding up to fishing conditions.

Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 21, 2007 02:34PM

I use your blanks. For some reason when someone says something like "pacbay guides" I believe they are yours or are the same product. I seem to believe they all come fromt he same factory.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.108.---)
Date: June 21, 2007 02:44PM

Karry Batson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> . The market has not yet demanded such guides but they are out there. I believe at the NC Show there was a rod
> running around with those guides on them, wonder how that rod is holding up to fishing conditions.

TEhre were 2 rods tehre built by a .Org poster, Steve Gardener, who has used teh rods quite a bit with teh size 2 guides, and has reported as such here on teh boards since then. He never said what companymade the guides as I got teh impression they were a specialty item just made for him. Glad to see you let teh cat out of the bag, lol.

Pages: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster