I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Head Count!! How many of you have not tried Forecast Components?
Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: June 21, 2007 02:50PM

All of the component supply componies like ours make great products and some look the same.

We try and pay attention to all the minor details like gluing the rings to the frame when pressed to help eliminate pop out. Tumble the frames longer so it gives them a more stream line look and no jagged edges. We grind our guide feet and plate them after grinding so you do not see the grind mark when you do not use CP. We are now using SS316 stainless to help prevent corrision for our salt water guides. We use Double Black Chrome finish on our black frame guides greatly adding to corrosion resistance as well as giving them a better cosmetic shine. Are all guide the same no they are not we here at Batson Enterprise pride our selves on top quality components at an affordable price utilizing our top notch Manufacture in Taiwan. They may cost a bit more to have them make them in Taiwan rather than China but we feel they make the best product for us and we are not willing to change manufactures to save a few bucks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Ernie Johnson (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: June 21, 2007 03:08PM

I have not used any Batson products.

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: June 21, 2007 03:12PM

Kerry -

I've used Batson blanks, both RX-7 and Forecast models, as well as your guides, spinning reelseats, and fly rod seats, both skeleton and woven graphite. I've loved everything I've gotten from you guys, and your customer service is awesome.

I won't get into the "I use this or don't use this" crud - no point in it. I will say that of the "Big 4", there are 2 companies I like, 1 that I think is ok, and 1 I'm totally unimpressed with - to the point I've taken components I've gotten from them and thrown them up on @#$%& just to get rid of the junk. Batson is one of the two that I like......

Now - I have to agree - I would LOVE to see some alternatives to Fuji Ti guides outside of the Titan, I would also like to see your high frame guides (match guides) available (easily available) with different ring choices besides the H ring - I've heard you can get them in SiC, but have not seen them for sale anywhere. This would give a very viable alternative to the Fuji Alconites for those of us building spinning rods on the new concept system, where the Alconites with their higher frames just fit the bill so nicely. I love the alconites, but it's always good to have choices and alternatives. If you made a ti framed SiC ringed high frame spinning guide - well, that would absolutely rock...

As far as the itty bitty little guides go - heck yeah - make them available!!! I would LOVE to build a 7' UL with size 2 or 3 guides - that would be so nice. Another area I'd like to see is some quality componentry from ice fishing rods - the small guides would be nice here as well. Ice fishing is the fastest growing segment (along with inshore fishing) in the industry, yet rodbuilders are stuck using the cruddy SS304 guides and tips or worse yet, a fly rod tip, to work with the small (size 2.5-3.0 tube) tips that quality panfish ice rods blanks require. I think that is a market that is sorely lacking in available products.

Ok, I'm done.....

Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 21, 2007 03:13PM

Have not used them by name choice, but have had a few Batson pieces in hand. Just happened that was what was sent me.

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: June 21, 2007 03:29PM

I have yet to try anything from Batson, though I do pause over it every time. The deciding factor is usually familiarity and experience and having none with Batson at this time. I have gone as far as to list guides, seats and blanks that I think fit the profile for a few rods I want to build someday...but thats it. I'm not a business/builder, just a hobby bu frienilder for freinds and family and myself so far ...so i'm low on the food chain here (I do however think I might have more rods in my aresenal than anyone in my part of the northeast lol). Anyway, that is my input.

Date: June 21, 2007 03:42PM

Hi Rich,
I believe several of my distributers have the model M guides in all the colors. The one that comes to mind is Fish Sticks 4 U drop them a line I know at the NC show he had a ton of them. Just because they are not in my catalog does not mean you cant get them it just means I do not stock them.

Posted by: Jay Weissler (---.chcgilgm.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: June 21, 2007 03:52PM

I've used your blanks but not components. As a very occasional builder, I like to fit components to the blank and reel before I buy them. that means a trip to the rodbuilding shop and since you don't distribute in the Chicago area....well...I'm sure you understand.

This also makes it hard for me to buy your blanks. Since I can't see them, I have to trust faith that I'll like the feel while I can try sage, loomis, st croix, & laminglass blanks in the custom rod shops here or as built rods in lots of sporting goods stores.

jayw

Date: June 21, 2007 03:59PM

Shoot me an email Jay and let me know where you buy your product from I will see what I can do. karry@batsonenterprises.com

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (207.118.62.---)
Date: June 21, 2007 04:33PM

Kerry great Webb I fore got when I first starting using Batson products. I never have had a question with your quality. Hey guys I don't care who the manufacture is here in the states I would almost guarantee or bet at some point you well find a Batson product on it. What do you think, Gloomis, All Star. Lamiglas or who ever the manufacture is makes all their components. Heck look at to days cars, do you think they make their own components. That is why they call it an assemble plant. Keep up the good work Kerry. As for those of you that live in Washington, Oregon or Idaho take a drive and look at their operation. Also if you have a chance go to a rods building show. I believe there well be one in Woodland WA. the 2nd weekend in April 2008. It well beheld at the Lamiglas plant. I know Batson, PacBay, All American Guides and many suppliers well be there to answer all your question face to face.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Joshua Turner (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: June 21, 2007 04:47PM

I too would like to see some of the smaller size guides and titanium frames

Posted by: Galen Briese (134.129.79.---)
Date: June 21, 2007 05:09PM

Karry, I have been getting the black and gold from schneiders, I didn't know for sure if they were forecast or not. But anyhow I like the forecast guides very much. Thanks for the quick response. Galen

Posted by: Herb Bickings (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 21, 2007 05:33PM

I've used some of your components, guides and reel seats and 1 blank (RX7 ISB822.5) that I like a lot. I use your textured blank exposed trigger reel seats on most of my casting rods but how about one designed after the RF Light reel seat, I think that would be nice.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.dslextreme.com)
Date: June 21, 2007 06:05PM

Karry,

Enjoying this post.

Regarding lightweight guides, I've used the Fuji SICs down to size 3.5. At that size, they are .04 grams, lighter than even the lightest available Fecoils and casts UL braided lines just fine.

You are probably right in the weight of the ring but per my own experience, the Fuji titanium frame is noticeably lighter than anything else I've found of the same ring size.

A Fuji TLSG size 6.0 is .12 grams.
Another US company's titanium size 6 guide in the same format is .21 grams. Interestingly, the ring of this company is thinner than the SICs - but the guides weighs a good bit more by percentage.

I SURE would love a lower cost alternative to the titanium Fujis that is just as light for the same ring size? Care to take a stab at it eventually.....? :)

Mo

Date: June 21, 2007 06:13PM

Hi Ernie,
Thank you for posting let me know next time you are going to build a rod I will help you pick out the right components to try, if your intrested in trying them. karry@batsonenterprises.com

Never used any of our products, blanks either? Thanks for being honest glad your at least looking check out our web site at www.batsonenterprises.com if you have time. Best Regards, Karry Batson

Date: June 21, 2007 06:20PM

Heck ya Mo will do its top on everyones list. The more we keep looking the more we find. Check out this web site on Metals and grades of stainless steel kind of helps me describe the diffrent substrates. And why we use SS316 for salt water guides ETC.

[]

Posted by: Bill Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: June 21, 2007 06:35PM

My Cousin Karry came into my office this morning to say he started a thread about " Who has not used Batson Forecast Components" . I understand that folks that have been building rods for many years use what they are used to, but remember that there are choices now like there has NEVER been. We take what we do Very seriously and that is one reason we are one of the largest component suppliers in the USA. We have surpassed many of the other wholesale component distributors by our shear commitment to this industry. Our advancements are unparrall in the industry, our growth within the past 7 years is like no other companies in this industry. We are a company that molds " Integrity, Passion, Quality & Experience into one package to better serve the industry. We have IMHO the most talented team in reagrds to fishing knowledge, application knowledge, product knowledge & Design in the industry today. We have over 400 rod building companies & rod building distributors worldwide> From the largest OEM in the USA ( St. Croix) to the smaller Custom Rodbuiling compainies useing Batson Enterptises - Rainshadow/Forecast/ALPS products. These companies have a choice and they Choose Batson Quality Products. If you have used them we Thank you, if you haven't give them a try. I garantee you will be pleased with your CHOICE to use Batson Products.
We are different..." The Vision Continues" and will for Generations to come.. A US family owned and operated company...
Please feel free to contact us if you ever have any questions in regards to our product lines...

Bill Batson
CEO
Batson Enterprises
Rainshadow/Forecast/ALPS product lines
www.batsonenterprises.com
batson@batsonenterprises.com
877-875-2381....

Posted by: Steve Wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 21, 2007 06:39PM

Well Karry, I've used a few of your blanks and the catalog did convince me to try some of your components (nice stuff, BTW). I still use Fuji for many things but Batson products are in my mix. Anyhow, besides color choices and such, what I would like to see are guides that make sense for ice fishing rods. Sometimes you need small guides and tip tops, sometimes you need larger guide rings in a smaller frame and large tip top rings for small tips (say an 8 or 10 ring that fits a size 4 top) - very useful for rods panfish rods used outside where ice buildup is a big problem. You may consider offering a sample pack of componets for free or innexpensively as a way to show your wares to rod builders.

Posted by: fred schoenduby (---.dsl.chic01.pacbell.net)
Date: June 21, 2007 06:57PM

Karry...
I build casting and spinning rods for a local Sporting Goods Store and the owner has asked me about getting the thinner guides like the ones used on Shimano and other off the rackers...even though the rings may pop out the buyer wants those types of guides. The pricing has gone quite high on Fuji Alconite guides and they are the only supplier that I know of. Any thoughts on this or suggestions you can offer?

Tight Lines
Tight Wraps
Fishin'Stix by Fred

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.245.72.133.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: June 21, 2007 06:57PM

I've only used your blanks and one time tried the Chameleon guides. Gotta say that those were the best looking guides I have ever seen. You could make jewelry with those things. Looking forward to trying some of your reel seats now. And please, let us know when you get more of those itty-bitty guides and who will be offering them. I'm working on some new rods for myself and would LOVE to rig them with 2's and 3's!

Date: June 21, 2007 07:00PM

Yes we have been looking at the ice market very closely and curently we supply many componies with Ice blanks via private label from Glow tips, orange tips, pink to electric blue metalic finishes we do them we just dont sell them to the consumers under our brand. We curently supply mostly wire snake guides but I understand the demand for a higher quality product for ice rods but the weight is alwase going to be the issue on the smaller ultra light rods. Personally I like to harvest my fish so give me the strongest ice blank you have and thats the one for me. If I'm going to be sitting out there on the ice I want to fill my bucket LOL! Just kidding I under stand they can be line shy ETC.

Pages: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster