I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Two Part Epoxy Finish-Adhesives/You/Rodbuilding
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: November 05, 2006 12:50PM

I hope some rodbuilders will take the time to read this post. This is not intended to do any thing other than make you think for just a minute for how you do things. It is not meant in any way to change your basic approach to your finish of choice or how you apply and dry.

There a lot of posts on this and other boards as to how to properly handle epoxy systems.

I was surprised to learn from Ralph O'Quinn the relatively high percentage of the general population that has the potential to become sensitized to the contents of these resin systems. In his supervisory position with an aircraft manufacturer his decision was to try to protect the workers with protective clothing or transfer them to another task. He found that protective clothing just was not practical in many cases. Rodbuilding in a rubber suit just will not cut the mustard.

If you build a lot of rods and want to continue everything should be done to keep your direct exposure to epoxy systems to a minimum.

Keep on the look out for an itching rash or red colored skin blotches on you ankles, wrist, waist or neck area. If you see first stages of the symptoms appear the following ideas may minimize your potential exposure.

Dropping bottles of resin and the amine containing hardner down your shirt front to warm for mixing should not be done. Many times the hardner bottle will leak and be sticky around the bottle or cap area. Funny thing - I did this all the time and the rash first appeared on my ankles. If you place the bottles ins a sealed Zip Lock Bag it should help.

When you stir the epoxy finish components for mixing hold the mixing cup in a position that the "floaters" that rise from the cup can not land on your arms or face. These tiny little bubbles break out of the surface and contain amine compounds that can collect on your skin.

It is best not to inhale directly over this cup or the mixing pan ifyou use the exhale technique to make air bubbles leave the surface.

If you are using a torch or alcohol lamp to aid in bubble bursting be careful and do not place your exposed fore arm directly over blank where "floaters" can be transferred to your skin. I witnessed this when wearing elbow length thin blue latex gloves while torching to insure that things were not getting too hot. After torching the surface of the glove had numberous tiny spots of discoloration.

When working with adhesives and finishes barehanded I never really realized just how much of the resin was being transferred to my skin. If you put on a pair of thin gloves it will not take you long to see just how much if this stuff gets in the wrong place. I worked with entirely too much adhesive by volume, sloppy, and had a lot to remove and wipe from joints to clean up. Cleaning up these joints with paper towells and denatured alcohol can really saturate you skin if you are not careful.

Think ahead - If you are placing some preformed cork grips on rods with epoxy be prepared to deal with all the epoxy the extrudes from holes in the cork. This can get quite messy and end up all over you.

This is just a short list of things that got in my way -

If you can add ideas that will help in keeping the stuff off of others please add to this list on the thread.

Purple and Gold Thread Price Went Up Saturday

Gon Fishn

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2006 02:09PM by Bill Stevens.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Two Part Epoxy Finish-Adhesives/You/Rodbuilding
Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: November 05, 2006 02:10PM

Good advise, Bill.

The price of sky blue thread is staying on par for now...CHEAP. The price on light blue & white will go up within two months. Look for a drastic increase!

Jay
(Go HEELS!)

Date: November 05, 2006 02:16PM

Jay the price will go up for blue when the shape of the ball changes - The purple and gold thread will still be expensive due to the fact the "Big Baby's" uniform is huge! All I have to change on my rods is the shape of the ball on the Invisilines.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 05, 2006 03:27PM

Bill;
Thanks for the info

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: November 05, 2006 07:15PM

IMO, Powderless LATEX or NITRILE disposable gloves are worth considering when handling any job where chemicals and grime may invade your skin. It is mostly a matter of extent, frequency, and duration of exposure. After a while, you can develop an amazing amount of dexterity, even with gloves on. It just takes practice and some patience. And the protection of your hands & health is worth it, IMO. ...

Same with vapors - use adequate ventilation. If you can smell it, it has entered your lungs & thoat, and you are swallowing it between breaths with your saliva. -Cliff Hall.

MSDS for Rodbuilding- Cliff Hall?
Derek McMaster 09-04-06 17:14
[www.rodbuilding.org]
After my first adverse reaction to chemical cross contamination while building a rod (please don't ask) I find myself wondering if a MSDS Material Data Safety Sheet Compilation would be appropriate to avoid embarrassing and potentially FATAL chemical reactions. … I am serious about this folks. … Thoughts?? … Derek L. McMaster … Rohnert Park, CA

chemical question Bruce A. Tomaselli Sept 18, 2006 10:06
[www.rodbuilding.org]
Ed Kindervater said, "denatured alcohol is the only solvent you need to use in rod building." Do I need to use M. E. K. to clean my brushes? Is there something less dangerous that will do the job? I will do a search in the meantime. Thanks

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: November 05, 2006 09:55PM

WOW....I got quoted!

Derek L. McMaster
Rohnert Park, CA

Born to Fish, FORCED to Work

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 05, 2006 10:55PM

The purple and gold thread got wrapped up, not once but twice, by Orange and Blue!! Purple and gold are worthless! The major problem is all the purple and gold thread got ripped to shreads a few weeks ago! Now there is no purple and gold to be had in Louisana! Now they must pay the price.

War Eagle!!
Ed Smith

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: November 06, 2006 04:35PM

I have met someone who has become sensitized to epoxy components, it is not a fun condition to become ill with.

I do not know who made a short video not that many years ago that showed a rod builder demonstrating the application of cork tape over a film of fresh epoxy adhesive. The film shows the builder wiping and smoothing out the epoxy with his bare hands. When I saw this I said to myself no way, especially since plain alcohol works just as well as a lube. Epoxies are not the best thing to be exposing yourself too on a regular basis, or you're asking for trouble...

Lou

Posted by: Anson Lytle (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 06, 2006 07:42PM

What are the long-term affects of epoxy? I've read the warnings on the bottles but, among getting a bit on my hand and scrubbing it off with Fast Orange, I haven't had much exposure.

Date: November 06, 2006 08:27PM

This is the skinny on sensitization -

[www.dermnetnz.org]

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 07, 2006 09:55AM

Or, you can just stop using epoxy. Might as well dispense with thread as well. Neither is needed for attaching guides to blanks anyway........... Watch for the volume 9 #6 issue of RodMaker. Big changes are in the offing.

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.dynamic-dialup.coretel.net)
Date: November 07, 2006 01:39PM

Bill, Been taking sponge baths with acetone since 1976 and no problems yet! Jesse

Date: November 07, 2006 01:47PM

"ACETONE? NOT on YOUR HANDS !!!"
Cliff Hall, 10-19-04
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: November 07, 2006 01:58PM

“Severe Reaction to Epoxy”
-Tom Doyle- -Feb. 22, 2005-
[www.rodbuilding.org]
“I came across this on a surf fishing board (Hatteras Jack) and am copying it here, unedited. Anyone know of similar cases of severe allergic reactions to epoxy? … ” Tom Doyle–.

Respirator while using epoxy?
Dan Colville ... 02-02-06 13:51
[www.rodbuilding.org]
Hey guys. Do you use a respirator or not worry about it? I use epoxy in my large basement, should I wear one. If so what kind do you recommend. Sincerely, Dan Colville

Ralph <> More info on those nasty amines please !!!!!
Bob Meiser ... 02-05-06 02:04
[www.rodbuilding.org]
Hi Ralph, – Sorry to bug you, but wanted to bring this back up to the top. … This is about those nasty amines again. … Most of the info I've gotten on my issues with epoxy have come from my family doc.... Probably best to ask a chemist like you. … Forgive me if I ask these questions incorrectly, but I figure you'll understand. ... ETC

Re: Ralph <> More info on those nasty amines please !!!!!
Ralph O'Quinn ... 02-06-06 19:15
Bob – No way am I going to try and add anything to the very excellent dissertation that Cliff has given to you. His knowledge in the finer aspects of this subject is far beyond my rather meager knowledge.
Cliff – Thank you for getting me off the hook on this one. You’ve given Bob a much more thorough explanation than I am capable of presenting. I learned a few things I wasn't aware of as have no pharmaceutical background. Ralph

Best alternatives to epoxy
Bob Johnson ... Sept. 25, 2005 21:48
[www.rodbuilding.org]
If one has hypersensitivity to epoxy, what is the best alternative (glass and graphite blanks) for finishing wraps which most closely approximates the look of epoxy, and also what would you use to glue the reel seat and rod handle? Thanks.

Posted by: Anson Lytle (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 07, 2006 07:41PM

Maybe I should keep an Epi syringe, a pred syringe, a diphenhydramine syringe, and a bible nearby. Wow, I didn't realize that stuff was so wicked. <staring at the Rod Bond and Flexcoat> hmmmmm....

I guess I should read the bottles from now on

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster