I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Respirator while using epoxy?
Posted by: Dan Colville (136.183.157.---)
Date: February 02, 2006 01:51PM

Hey guys. Do you use a respirator or not worry about it? I use epoxy in my large basement, should i wear one. If so what kind do you reccomend.

Sincerely,
Dan Colville

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Respirator while using epoxy?
Posted by: Will Whitaker (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 02, 2006 02:08PM

It depends what you are doing with the epoxy. If you are sanding it, then yes, wear a respirator. If you are applying epoxy, then no. There is no real hazard.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 02, 2006 05:16PM

All the finishes and epoxies have warnings on them that you may want to heed.I'm sure the majority of rodbuilders don't where respirators when working with finishes and epoxies.

My favorite warning on finishes ... "SEVERE IRRITANT"

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (63.168.119.---)
Date: February 02, 2006 08:24PM

It really depends on your body's chemistry. Where's Cliff when we need him?

Some people are more succeptable to epoxy allergies than others. In the small amounts we use I would guess that severe allergic reactions are few. Around here on the little island I live on (Harkers Island, NC...four miles of paradise) we have numerous boat builders. These guys build big Carolina style sportfishers the old fashioned way....out of wood. They do use plenty of epoxy in this process and some guys develope severe allergies to it. I know more than one person that can't even walk around a boat being built w/o breaking out. It can get bad.

Jay

Posted by: Bob Meiser (---.dhcp.mdfd.or.charter.com)
Date: February 02, 2006 08:32PM

Allerginic reation to epoxy is like any other:

Poison Oak, Bee stings, various pollens, Urea adhesives......Etc.

It's degree of severity varies with the individuals' physiology.

Some will be effected immeaditly by it, some will not.

But.....I can assure you this:

All of the components of todays epoxies will assuredly build-up in your body and will eventually affect your emune's system ability to cleanse these poisons.

FOR SURE wear nitrile latex gloves, and vent out the epoxy gasses.

A good quality canistered fine particulate dust mask will aide in dealing with suspended particulates of epoxy resulting fom sanding grips etc....But will not address out-gassing of cureing epoxy.

Beware....!!!!

Bob Meiser

Posted by: John Blair (---.rgv.res.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2006 10:24PM

If you have any pulmonary problems (asthma, COPD, CHF) use one. If none of the sponsors have one I can give you an email address so you can get one. A simple particle mask WILL NOT WORK. Be careful

Big John
Rio Hondo, Texas
Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting

Posted by: Ralph O'Quinn (---.wavecable.com)
Date: February 03, 2006 02:10PM

Bob
Sorry to dispute your post, but there is absolutely NO outgassing in curing epoxies. This is a fairly common rumor especially among those with allergenic reactions. The epoxy resin itself is pretty much neutral, it does not contain any allergenic compounds, and only in extremely rare conditions does it offend anyone in anyway. It is the hardener -- an amine-- that is the culprut. This material will offend people who are sensitive to it, merely by being in the same room ---sometimes just the same building. Wearing gloves or masks does no good, the amide molecule is floating around in the air and will contact the skin anyplace on the body it can find. This is is not from curing (mixed) resins, but merely from the opened bottle of the epoxy hardener. People who are unfortunate to be sensitive to this amine have a very bad time trying to work around epoxies. The total answer to the problem is DON'T work around them. Gloves and masks can do a lot of good for people who are only mildly sensitive. If you do not suffer from an opened bottle but cannot stand skin contact with the amine, then gloves will do the trick --- I have never heard of masks doing any good for people with greater sensitivities.. Amine groups are very simiar to ammonia in structure, except they are attached to organic molecules, and like ammonia, amines are strongly alkaline. This is why epoxy hardeners smell like ammonia right after the bottle is opened. It is that smell from the opened bottle that carries the bad little varmits that some unfortunate people do not have within their system the -- whatever it takes -- to repel them.
Ralph

Posted by: Dan Colville (---.bflony.adelphia.ne)
Date: February 03, 2006 07:07PM

Hey guys. Thanks so much. I have no reactions to using epoxy. Just wanted to see if it was ok or not.
Sincerely,
Dan Colville

Posted by: Bob Meiser (---.dhcp.mdfd.or.charter.com)
Date: February 04, 2006 05:47PM

Hi Ralph,

Yep...For me it's contact that is the problem.

One ity bitty little amout and the eyelids swell up now....Not pretty.

...I look like the bad end of a KO in the 8th....}:^( ....!!!!

Tell me....Are the amine gasses heavier then O2 and settle to the floor, or do they suspend randomly ?

Bob Meiser

Posted by: Ralph O'Quinn (---.wavecable.com)
Date: February 04, 2006 08:56PM

Bob
There is no such thing as amine gasses. It is a normal molecular reaction, like evaporation of water adds humidity to the air. They do not drop to the floor, rather they tend to flow with the air wherever it may take them. Just make sure it don't take them to your skin.
Ralph

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster