I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ralph <> More info on those nasty amines please !!!!!
Posted by: Bob Meiser (---.dhcp.mdfd.or.charter.com)
Date: February 05, 2006 02:04AM

Hi Ralph,

Sorry to bug you but wanted to bring this back up to the top.

This is about those nasty amines again.

Most of the info I've gotten on my issues with epoxy have come from my family doc....

.....Probably best to ask a chemist like you.

Forgive me if I ask these questions incorrectly, but I figure you'll understand.

Do the suspended amines you spoke of have a long active life while floating around, or will their chemical make-up break down rather quickly once released.....

In short....How long can they be harmful once released ?

Are there any adhesive epoxies that will have fewer or no amines in their hardeners ?

All of my cork work is now done with polyurethanes, and this has helped greatly.....But the stuff looks kinda weird on my wraps....};^)...!!!!

Bob Meiser

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ralph <> More info on those nasty amines please !!!!!
Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: February 05, 2006 06:34AM

Bob Meiser - I only have a minute, so I have not researched which Post & Reply your question is coming from. But in case Ralph O'Quinn cannot get back to you any time soon, here is a preliminary Reply.

Certain people have a SEVERE ALLERGIC "HYPERSENSITIVITY REACTION" to the AMINES found in the EPOXIES used as adhesives or as thread finishes.

Once a person has developed this hypersensitivity reaction, it will not revert spontaneously to the unaffected immunological response. That person's body will always see that AMINE has a FOREIGN PROTEIN, which means an ALL-OUT WAR is launched from that person's immune system upon subsequent exposure to the amine, to rid the body of the protein (which could be an enzymatic POISON or a proteinaceous part of the foreign invaders BODY or its chemical composition).

Those epoxy AMINES will NOT degrade in the air or the environment. They are PERSISTENT, and fairly VOLATILE. If you can smell them, they are volatile. Even respirators may not be able to effectively remove them. These are very small molecules and only a super tiny amount of exposure will elicit this severe hypersensitivity reaction. IT CAN BE LIFE THREATENING.

This ALLERGY has been covered at least twice in the last 2 years.
DO an RBO SEARCH = AUTHOR + TEXT [ALL DATES]
ERIC KUNZ + AMINE
RALPH O'QUINN + AMINE
CLIFF HALL + AMINE
Or use "ALLERG" as the secondary Search criteria to focus on the subject.

Eric Kunz is an OSHA Certified Industrial Hygenist.
ROQ is a Chemist & the developer of ROD-BOND and the other U-40 TRONDAK Products.
And I (CMH+++) am a Bachelor of Chemistry, and have 4 years of Pharmacy school.
Any WELL-trained Allergy or Transplant Nurse could also tell you more about this. And obviously, so could a recently-graduated Pharmacist or any MD.

ALSO, an extensive discussion of ALTERNATE ADHESIVES & THREAD FINISHES (non-epoxy, non-amine) was also conducted here at RBO. SEARCH, Man, search. Later, -Cliff Hall+++

Best alternatives to epoxy Bob Johnson Sept. 25, 2005 21:48
[www.rodbuilding.org]
If one has hypersensitivity to epoxy, what is the best alternative (glass and graphite blanks) for finishing wraps which most closely approximates the look of epoxy, and also what would you use to glue the reel seat and rod handle? Thanks.

"Severe Reaction to Epoxy" -Tom Doyle- -Feb. 22, 2005- [www.rodbuilding.org]
"I came across this on a surf fishing board (Hatteras Jack) and am copying it here, unedited. Anyone know of similar cases of severe allergic reactions to epoxy?" -Tom Doyle-

Tom Doyle's Post & Replies contains some really good general information on hypersensitivity allergy to epoxy. And on the use of gloves from Erik Kunz, CIH. However, no specific recommendations for alternates to epoxy were discussed in Doyle's Thread. Obviously, in cases of true hypersensitivity, even gloves and a respirator may not provide adequate protection, and ALL epoxies must be ABSOLUTELY avoided. A severe overproduction of lung secretions and airway swelling can develop within a few minutes, and cause death by airway blockage. -CMH+++

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2006 07:19PM by Cliff Hall.

Posted by: Bob Meiser (---.dhcp.mdfd.or.charter.com)
Date: February 05, 2006 12:04PM

Thakns so much for all your time Cliff....That information helps a lot.

Bob Meiser

Posted by: Ralph O'Quinn (---.wavecable.com)
Date: February 06, 2006 07:15PM

Bob
No way am I going to try and add anything to the very excellent dissertation that Cliff has given to you. His knowledge in the finer aspects of this subject is far beyond my rather meager knowledge.

Cliff:
Thank you for getting me off the hook on this one. Youv'e given Bob a much more thorough explanation than I am capable of presenting. I learned a few things I wasn't aware of as have no pharmaceutical background.

Ralph

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster