I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Advise Needed
Posted by: Ryan Francis (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 08, 2006 06:15AM

Hello to all. I've only built 5 rods and am already having allergy problems with two part glues and finishes. I enjoy doing this to much to quit, so, just wanted to know if anyone knows of some alternatives that I could use for glueing reel seats, etc. and for finish on rods. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Ryan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Advise Needed
Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: February 08, 2006 07:50AM

mmmm try wearing those non surgical rubber (latex ) gloves that the wear in body shops i take it you are putting you fingers in it???? keep your fingers well out of the finish epoxy use a spatula or a brush
if you having respitory problems wear a maskand work in a well ventilated area
you really need epoxy for glue jobs Dont use superglue or pva BUT you could try varnish on the wraps for a finish coat it takes longer but some say it gives a nicer finish (all personal opinion though) its thinner and takes more coats but thats what the "old skool "used before they found epoxy
hope this helps
allen

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 08, 2006 08:32AM

There are alternatives as far as finishes go but not quite so many choices in adhesives. Urethane adhesives might be one alternative you could look for.

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: February 08, 2006 09:16AM

Hi Ryan,

I too have some problens with some two part epoxys. Flex Coat adhesives was causing me some problems so I switched to Rod Bond and haven't had any more problems. For guide wrap finish you might try Gudebrod Speed Coat (SC442). It's a one part water based finish. Takes 4 to 6 coats to cover thread well but it drys quick enough tha you can usually get all the coats on in a day. Like Allen said use gloves no matter what type of finish or adhesive you use.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.255.44.46.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: February 08, 2006 10:01AM

Good Morning Ryan,

I would first try Rod Bond to see if that cures the problem. There is another adhesive that we from the "old skool" as Allen called it used to use. It is a liquid Rod Cement. The most common form of it is called Plio Bond. This adhesive is evaporative and takes three days or so to cure completely. The adhesive contains naptha and methylethylketone (also called 2-butanone or MEK) These solvents evaporate leaving a very tough and flexible residue. There are some cautions to this. First, these solvents are very very nasty and should only be used in very well ventilated areas. Second, I think the bond is not quite as strong the epoxy adhesives. However, in the past I have built many rods using this type of adhesive and have never had a failure.

One other thing you need to consider. Plio Bond is simialr to contact cement. When you apply it, you need to apply it to one surface and let it become tacky. Then you need to coat the second surface and then immediately fit the two surfaces together. If you allow both surfaces to become tacky, as soon as you start to put the surfaces together, they will bond together and you will be unable to move them into position. I say this from the experience of not being able to fit a cork grip to a rod blank and having to cut the grip off.

If at all possible, I would try Rod Bond first. Some builders use Tightbond III, which I think may be a urethane glue. Good luck.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: February 08, 2006 10:03AM

AVOID SKIN CONTACT - USE GLOVES.
AVOID CONCENTRATED VAPORS - VENTILATE WELL.

What kind of "allergy" are you getting?
Watery eyes?
Red skin or hives?
Difficulty swallowing?
Difficulty breathing? ... Call 911 IMMEDIATELY !
Has it gotten worse in recent rod-building projects?

Ryan, if it is just a skin or eye irritant, that is controllable with gloves and ventilation. If exposure to epoxies causes difficulty swallowing or breathing or makes your tongue swell, you had better stop using ANY EPOXY IMMEDIATELY. -THROW IT OUT-. Contact an MD or better yet a certified ALLERGIST and have him characterize the extent and type of allergic reaction you are having.

Do yourself a HUGE favor and read the Threads cited below. This is one situation wherein you should not underestimate the danger. It may be only 1 in 10,000. But If you are the 1 in 10,000, it can be VERY debilitating, if not FATAL. No joke. Be careful. Good Luck, -Cliff Hall+++

“Severe Reaction to Epoxy” -Tom Doyle- -Feb. 22, 2005- [www.rodbuilding.org] ... "I came across this on a surf fishing board (Hatteras Jack) and am copying it here, unedited. Anyone know of similar cases of severe allergic reactions to epoxy? … ” –Tom Doyle–.

Best alternatives to epoxy Bob Johnson Sept. 25, 2005
[www.rodbuilding.org] ... "If one has hypersensitivity to epoxy, what is the best alternative (glass and graphite blanks) for finishing wraps which most closely approximates the look of epoxy, and also what would you use to glue the reel seat and rod handle? Thanks." -BJ.

Respirator while using epoxy? Dan Colville 02-02-06 13:51
[www.rodbuilding.org] ... "Hey guys. Do you use a respirator or not worry about it? I use epoxy in my large basement, should I wear one. If so what kind do you recommend. Sincerely, Dan Colville"

Ralph <> More info on those nasty amines please !!!!! Bob Meiser 02-05-06
[www.rodbuilding.org] ... "Hi Ralph O'Quinn, – Sorry to bug you but wanted to bring this back up to the top. … This is about those nasty amines again. … Most of the info I've gotten on my issues with epoxy have come from my family doc.... Probably best to ask a chemist like you. … Forgive me if I ask these questions incorrectly, but I figure you'll understand." -Bob Meiser.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: February 08, 2006 10:29AM

RYAN - P.S. - I just e-mailed you a copy of ALL of this.It's a little jumbled chronologically, but it is all there. I just realized that it was 12 PAGES of information in a 14-point type, which may be easier to read thru your MS-Word than thru your Browser. TMI- Too Much Information! -Cliff+++

Posted by: Ryan Francis (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 08, 2006 05:46PM

Thanks for the advise of all of you. especially Cliff Hall for putting all that info together, it was very helpfull.
I think my best bet would be to stay away from Epoxy all together. The sypmtoms were Dizziness the first couple rods and then Dizziness and a body rash the last two. I went to the doctor and he suggested I stay away from it completely. I wear Latex gloves when I finish rods but just read the following, thought it might be of interest to you guys:

Regarding latex gloves for working with epoxy:

I had a discussion several years ago with one of the technical/safety experts at Hexcel, the makers of epoxy resins. He made a VERY STRONG comment that we should NOT use LATEX gloves with epoxy. Latex is good for protection from biological hazards, but some of the hazardous chemicals in epoxy diffuse right through latex. Barrier creams by themselves also do not provide adequate protection.

He recommended vinyl gloves. These have sufficient resistance to the chemicals involved. Barrier creams on your hands and forearms as a SUPPLEMENT to the vinyl gloves are also a good idea. Ventilation is also important. Even though epoxy doesn't smell as bad as other resin systems, some of its relatively odorless components are hazardous in vapor form.

Anyway, thanks all for the the help and all the rod building knowledge. Even though I don't post much, I read a lot of post here and have learned so much from you guys. Thanks to Tom Kirkman for this wonderful source of knowledge and support.
Sincerely, Ryan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster