I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

key largo rod
Posted by: DON DANFORTH (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 26, 2005 09:24PM

does anybody know what type of blank the use on key largo rods i have customer that want a snapper rod using the same kind of blank
thank you

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: key largo rod
Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 26, 2005 10:16PM

Don they use mostly Gator glass blanks-Mud Hole carries them

Re: key largo rod
Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: July 26, 2005 11:24PM

Hiya, Don: Assuming your customer means a yellowtail snapper rod for reef fishing, casting light live baits (like shrimp or pilchards) or jigs (1/4 - 1/2 oz) with spinning or conventional tackle (12 - 20 # monofilament), about a 7 foot rod, usually in less than 30 feet of water in the Upper Keys here in Florida (Key Largo is the first Key; Key West is the last Key in the archipelago). Usually they chum the fish up off the structure, and toss or drop to them. You may want a 1-pc 7ft graphite rod; Fast / XF action; Medium Power; 0.5 - 1.5 oz lures; 12-25# line. Or heavier (like below) if the fish are not suspended.

RBO SEARCH = "SNAPPER ROD"

[www.rodbuilding.org]
15. Snapper rod ... Lee Bossley ([email protected]) ... 12/10/04
I am looking for some advice. I want to build a rod for offshore. Something for snapper. Thanks. [and 3 Replies ...] .... Now that I think about it, I think it was said here at RBO that these ST.CROIX SC-II Graphite Inshore / Salt-Water (Matte Green Finish) blanks are no longer made. But their specs can be compared to other manufacturer's.

[www.rodbuilding.org]
2. Bottom Rod ... Wayne T. Dye ([email protected]) ... 06/28/05
Built myself a new rod for bottom and wreck fishing in the Gulf out of Pensacola last May. I used a St. Croix SWC66MHF.I used Ken Prestons method and painted it with Alsa colorchanging powder in flex

[www.rodbuilding.org]
31. Re: Grouper Rod Guides .. Wayne T. Dye ([email protected]) .. 04/22/04
Sam, Just got some Amtac Holographic turbos form Mud Hole.Very nice.May put them on a St Croix 2SWC66MHF 20/40 for bottom snapper and trigger fishing.

[www.rodbuilding.org]
36. Re: BOTTOM ROD ... Ray Alston ([email protected]) ... 03/10/04
Wayne, You don't hear a lot about the Loomis Obsidian blanks, but I think its one of the most overlooked salt water blanks out there. I build many for mutton snapper fishing on the FL east coast, using the the PS84-40 exclusively for this. [This Post & 5 Replies from great builders like Lynn Huffman, Ray Alston, Coach Paul Bagby, John Butterfield and Rich Garbowski (and Wayne Dye, who started the Thread) is really a MUST READ.]

Well, that is enough food for thought. You may need to ask more specifically how this customer intends to fish, and if he will fish from a head boat or from a private boat / charter.

BTW, if any of you Conchs want to chime in, please do. I'm just trying to get Mr. Danforth started. There must be plenty of Readers here at RBO with more experience than me on this subject. Best Wishes, -Cliff Hall, Gainesville, FL +++

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster