I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

BOTTOM ROD
Posted by: Wayne T. Dye (---.ford.com)
Date: March 10, 2004 07:27PM

Hello all!
Got squared away on my Cobia rod now I need some advice on a rod for bottom fishing. Fish wrecks out of Pensacola Fl. Mostly Snapper and Triggerfish with some other species mixed in Snappers run in the 8 to 15 lb range. We use two hook set up with cut bait and a 4 to 8 oz sinker on the bottom of the line. Will be using a Penn 330Gti with 40lb Ande. I have been looking at a Calstar GF765XL 20/50. Also a Loomis PS8430 25/40 Would like to stay in the 6-6.5ft range. Want to use Spiral wrap rollers. Could cut butt off of a longer rod. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and considered.I have a Loomis PS 7280 60/100 that I use for Grouper and AJ, but is a little heavy for Snapper. Thanks for any help

Wayne

P.S. Tom saw your picture in the photo section.With all your experiance I was visualizing a more Mature(older) Gentleman. Heck you're just a kid. But I guess everything you do requires a young man. Thanks for all your hard work

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: BOTTOM ROD
Posted by: Lynn Huffman (---.dialup5.community-web.net)
Date: March 10, 2004 09:01PM

Wayne,
I build on ABL blanks (anybody but Loomis). In my opinion they have given the big rasberry to the custom rodbuilder. Do you see their name anywhere on the list of sponsors to the left? Since Shimano took over , they have taken the GLX blank out of the hands of the custom builder, and I've heard and seen far too numerous quality complaints on the blanks that they are sending to the custom builders. Until Shimano becomes responsive to the needs and desires of custom builders, I will continue to build on ABL's. The Calstar blank is a good choice. Also look at All Star and Graphite USA. Seeker is another good possibility. Please pardon my rant.

Lynn Huffman
LH Custom Rods

P.S. Tom's older than he looks. He's just very atheletic and active and looks young. I'd be totally burnt out if I did half of what he does.

Posted by: Ray Alston (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 10, 2004 09:31PM

Wayne,

You don't hear a lot about the Loomis Obsidian blanks, but I think its one of the most overlooked salt water blanks out there. I build many for mutton snapper fishing on the Fl. east coast, using the PS84-40 exclusively for this. Most of the bottom fishermen want the 7 footers to reach out over their outboards. The PS84-30 is also a good blank for this, but these guys have to deal with sharks and the occasional Goliath grouper so the heavier one helps. Also they are dealing with the current (the Gulfstream runs close on the east coast of FL) and using quite a bit of lead sometimes so the heavier blank also helps with this. I've lost count of the ones I've sold at one particular marina in Stuart, as every bottom fisherman who sees and feels one ends up buying one. Before Loomis went to the Pelagic (Obsidian) series they were having a huge breakage problem, but that has long since been remedied. I haven't had to warranty one yet.

I think rollers are overkill for this. I use the BHNLG Fuji's or the BHNNG SIN guides for the braid users and they love them. Although I can't talk any of these guys into a spiral wrap, I believe it would be the ultimate for this type of bottom fishing.

JMHO

Ray

Posted by: Coach Paul Bagby (---.184.102.166.ip.alltel.net)
Date: March 10, 2004 10:18PM

All the blanks mentioned so far are nice. Now... there is a new blank from Lamiglas in glass. It is the L51050 and the 51010 and the 6610.
The first 2 are 5'10" and rating is 50 and 100#. I have used and made several rods on this blanks. Check these out.
If you need some #'s toward Destin, let me know.

Posted by: John Butterfield (---.dialup.gulftelephone.net)
Date: March 10, 2004 10:40PM

You might consider a St Croix (2SWC60HF or 2SWC66HF). I made several of their longer 7' rod for halibut in Washington and they were outstanding bringing everything from 35lb to 100lb+ halibut up from up to 400ft. Everybody that tried my rod wanted me to make them one. These blanks are a composite of SCI/SCII/SCIIW that they call "Multi-Dynamic Blend Saltwater Blanks" The bad thing is they are not cheap. I now live in the Orange Beach, AL area and am looking forward to the same fishing, but I will have to make a new rod as a friend in WA talked me out of the St Croix described.
John Butterfield

Posted by: Richard's Rod & Reel (69.26.69.---)
Date: March 11, 2004 08:37AM

John Butterfield wrote:

> You might consider a St Croix (2SWC60HF or 2SWC66HF). I made
> several of their longer 7' rod for halibut in Washington and
> they were outstanding bringing everything from 35lb to 100lb+
> halibut up from up to 400ft. Everybody that tried my rod
> wanted me to make them one. These blanks are a composite of
> SCI/SCII/SCIIW that they call "Multi-Dynamic Blend Saltwater
> Blanks"

John makes a good suggestion wiih these very well designed and powerful S/W specialty blanks from St. Croix. It will make you a very good lifting and bottom fighting offshore performance custom rod. Very good choice.

Rich Garbowski
Richard's Rod & Reel
807-486-0514

Posted by: Wayne T. Dye (---.dialup.hrtc.net)
Date: March 12, 2004 12:56PM

Thanks everyone. lots of options to check. Right now I'm leaning towards the St.Croix.Probably will go to the 2SWC60MHF or 66MHF 20/40#.Should be a Little more fun with smaller fish..I know that rollers are probably over kill but this may be my last bottom rod and I want it to be a killer, both looks and design. Want to make my fishin buddies eyes bug out. I doubt if any of them have ever seen spiral wrap rollers. Can't wait!

Coach Paul: Some our fishing will be around Mexico Beach, I will be retiring soon and would love some #'s for then. Hope to retire between now and Dec. Depends on how mad they make me.

Thanks again everyone

Wayne

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster