I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bottom Rod
Posted by: Wayne T. Dye (---.client.insightBB.com)
Date: June 28, 2005 04:15PM

Built myself a new rod for bottom and wreck fishing in the Gulf out of Pensacola last May. I used a St. Croix SWC66MHF.I used Ken Prestons method and painted it with Alsa colorchanging powder in flex coat rod finish. Turns Blue to green with gold metalflakes in it in the different light. Used @#$%& All American rollers and spiral wrapped it .Made a custom EVA grip in a blue & yellow pattern/ red and green accents. Wrapped guides with matching thread. When I carried it onto the boat everyone laughed, until they saw that I came to fish. Used it the first day and had a ball, Big Snappers and Big Trigger fish. Left rod on boat for second day. When we got to boat the second day the mate had all rods set up and placed at fishing stations. When fishing started someone was at my spot With MY rod..Ididn't get to use it for the next two days. Everyone used it and loved it. The stability amazed everyone. Only disparaging remark was from the Captain. He called it the Faggot Rod (his words not mine). After the trip he ask me to make one for his son for Christmas with a different color scheme. Less flambouyant. The friend that started me building made me the first spiral wrap I ever saw but would never use one himself has already ordered the parts for a spiral wrap Grouper/Amber Jack rod for himself for next year. Can't let him get away with that, I'll just have to build one for myself. Thanks to everyone that has helped me with this forum. Thanks to Ken Preston for showing us how to do his paint thing in Charlotte. Will shut up and go work on a rod. This Retirement is working me to death I may have to go back to work to get some rest......NAH!!!!

Wayne
Six Mile Creek Rods

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bottom Rod
Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: June 28, 2005 06:11PM

Sounds like you made a bunch of converts. They have seen the light !
Well, best wishes on your next trip. -Cliff Hall, Gainesville, FL-

Re: Bottom Rod
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: June 28, 2005 06:53PM

Wayne, you're having WAY to much fun, aren't you??

I had a blast with Ken in Charlotte, too. He was a lot of fun to be around. The guy will try anything once!! Even tried Permagloss in a plastic cup; that's one thing he won't do again, though LOL!!

Putter
Williston, ND

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster