I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

heating tip top, anybody have this happen?
Posted by: John DeWitt (140.141.24.---)
Date: March 03, 2004 09:46PM

I was trying to heat a tip top for removal on a Rainshadow blank. I couldn't get the thing to budge, and finally, I melted the tip of the blank itself. Anybody ever have this happen? I've never had a problem removing a tip top until this one. Can I still build on this blank is I cut the tip off? Thanks for your help. What an unbelievably dumb mistake.....

John

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: heating tip top, anybody have this happen?
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ca-sanfranc0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: March 03, 2004 10:04PM

If you are losing only about an inch it should be ok, some still take a little off the tips of flyrods that are traveling a lot to protect the tip. If it's substantial than I think I'd send the rod to Batson for a new tip. Casting it or better yet fishing it will tell you a lot about if it's ok.

Posted by: Terry Henson (---.arcdca.adelphia.net)
Date: March 03, 2004 10:04PM

Will be a little stiffer, but you can build on it and it will be fine. I've fixed a tip or two that my friends (NEVER ME) have attempted to shorten by way of slamming the tip in a car door.

Changes the action a little, but it is fishable.

Terry

Posted by: shai plummer (---.oregoncoast.com)
Date: March 04, 2004 02:13AM

I did the same thing to trying to repair a top on my fly rod . I only lost maybe 1/4 inch . I just put my top back on and now I don't notice any difference at all .

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: March 04, 2004 05:02AM

How were you heating the tip top? I bet it was a cig. lighter> what I found is that the lighter takes to long to heat the tip and when it does it melts the rod. Usually this happens when the tip is epoxied on. What I do is use heat from my butain torch. It gets the tip hot fast. I always have a ice cold rag on the blank just below the tip top. Have plyers ready to pull off the tip when you see any sign of steam. I never heat more than 3 to 4 secounds.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: John DeWitt (---.knapplabs.denison.edu)
Date: March 04, 2004 12:04PM

guys,

thanks for the quick responses. Bob, yes I was using a cigarette lighter. I'll have to invest in a torch pretty soon, or just get the tip tops correct the first time every time. Thanks for the help guys.

John

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 04, 2004 07:54PM

Read the string below about the cloudy flex coat. I made a post about torches that may just fit this situation.

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.NIPR.MIL)
Date: March 04, 2004 09:32PM

I've done the same thing. Fortunately though only on blanks I was stripping for the guides. Does the torch trick work if the tip was epoxied on vice tip glued? I had a SiC ring pop out of an expensive Japanese Shimano (300+ dollars). Was going to replace the guide, but couldn't get it to come off. Ended up heating the guide up and pushing the ring back into place with a little superglue, not sure how long this will last using powerpro though. As it is a short jig stick I don't want to make it any shorter by cutting the guide off.

Phil

Posted by: Evgeny Alexeyev (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: February 14, 2006 02:50PM

since i have burned three tip tops I have come to conclussion that ONLY plastic low T glue should be used, and i do not put wraps below tip top tube either, in that case i'm 99% shure would be able to remove/ change TIPt. Also it needs to be heated very gently and TIP top should be under string of tension to come off when melt point occurs, again even couple of seconds lighter flame could damage the blank tip, needless to say never heat wraps under Tip Top guide, which could be tempting in order to remove coating !!!
alex, w my five cents

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster