I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Microwave guides
Posted by: Dean Veltman (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: February 08, 2023 03:13PM

I have been happy with the runner too, but if small amounts of weight, especially at the tip, matter, they do seem to be on of the heavier options for weight in the tip section. In terms of overall weight, they do not add much to the rod, but I suppose on lighter rods in particular they may affect things a bit.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 08, 2023 03:23PM

Having to buy something I don't want or need to get something I would like to try just doesn't seem right. Good marketing strategy. But Its not just AT but other companies do it as well.

I'll pass

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: February 08, 2023 04:02PM

I cast pretty far with the traditional guides but I've been intrigued by the concept.

Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: February 08, 2023 05:22PM

Fuji has spent a good deal of time and effort to prove their Concepts and Components with significant R&D investments. That means something to me. They are a global leader in Guide Technology from materials to layouts for many line, rod, reel, and fishing combinations. As a result, they are copied by many other manufacturers. That tells me something.

I have never tried MW guides because I have never been Dissatisfied with Fuji Guide Concepts, Fuji quality, Fuji flexibility, and Fuji selection. I can buy any guide from Fuji individually, OR in a set. Talk about ease and options!
(No offense to others who say company X is cheaper and the same quality/performance. I'm not arguing against anyone else's standards. I only argue against My Own standards.)

I have no challenge to anyone who feels 5 - 10 extra feet of casting distance is critical to their rig's performance! Believe me, I have seen where that few extra feet are the difference in certain conditions! My personal experience is that Fuji's guides and concepts are as good as any, and better than most, when it comes to the 'Casting Distance' debate.

For starters, I don't assume it is Only the guide type/brand that is limiting my casting distance. The reel, line size and type, and rod for the job are major players in my casting distance game when I have a need for distance. I think SYSTEM, not individual components, when evaluating my needs and conditions.

Lastly, why do I want to concern myself with achieving maximum distance when the kind of fishing I do doesn't require a cast at the, 'Absolute Max Capacity' of my rig (my SYSTEM)? Do I need to throw to the MAX every cast? Hardly ever. So, other factors come in to play for me like: The Best Ability is Availability when purchasing in the way I want, weight and quality of components, tangle-free aspects, and a decades-long experience of reliable performance with the product.

Forgive me, the whole MAX Distance thing is just irrelevant to me....unless I am on the cliffs of NZ, casting to very spooky fish, or throwing below a large tailwater dam where the fish are holding on that current seam Wayyyyy Out-there.. Even in these situations, I think Fuji guides and Concept layouts can rival any claims for distance.

I'm not a Fuji Salesman. Just my take.

Posted by: chris c nash (---.atmc.net)
Date: February 08, 2023 05:42PM

For some odd reason max casting distance seems to be the way so many rods and reels are judged by the masses . Certainly not everybody as many anglers don't consider that important at all especially guys who fish from moving platforms . With Archery it's usually what's the FPS rating first and foremost . What the kinetic energy is behind an arrow or how forgiving and accurate a new bow is seems to be a secondary consideration . It is what it is but good points Les.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (107.1.212.---)
Date: February 08, 2023 06:28PM

Marc Morrone Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Honestly I think the Microwave runners are not
> getting enough credit. I replace them because I
> like size 6 runners - but if you don't mind 5's
> they are good!
>
> And do try them - like it said - it's fun to watch
> them work!

I believe this is what it really comes down to, Fun. If its fun and different from what you have been doing for so long and it gives you enjoyment, then do it. I only fish casting rods that are spiral wrapped because, to me, it is fun and very enjoyable. Its a plus that it works so well.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: February 08, 2023 06:41PM

I don't like the feet.

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: February 08, 2023 07:16PM

Les....look at it this way...
(and this goes for any guide system)
By having a set up that casts as far as it potentially can,
you also have a system that casts, your normal casting distance, with less effort.

Posted by: Matt Ruggie (---)
Date: February 08, 2023 08:25PM

Chris Catignani Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Les....look at it this way...
> (and this goes for any guide system)
> By having a set up that casts as far as it
> potentially can,
> you also have a system that casts, your normal
> casting distance, with less effort.

Great point!

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: February 08, 2023 08:43PM

Lynn,
You said, "I don't like the feet."

What exactly do you not like about the guide feet?

If there is something that you don't like about the feet, can you change the feet to your liking?

Just wondering.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: February 08, 2023 09:40PM

I have already stated that I have built 1 MW rod and it fishes fine, not stand-out or stellar but fine. Others like MW guides and that is also fine. I typically stay with Fuji due to their vast resources, investment into R&D and subsequent products, and commitment to the fishing industry, all which is attempted to be copied by many other manufacturers. While Les’ and my opinion, in that respect, seem to mirror each other rather closely, we differ on the importance of obtainable casting distance; I believe if you’re going to build a rod, why not build it to the maximum of ALL its potentials as Chris suggested? Afterall, we all know the fish are 5ft farther than we can cast.
With all the hair-splitting infecting us rod builders (5 ft here, .5 gram there, 5 fewer thread wraps, arboring cork with foam [the list is endless]), we all can build some very impressive rods, both functionally and aesthetically as well. That is why they are considered CUSTOM RODS. Otherwise, just purchase a rod off-the-shelf, be happy with it, and probably save some money (certainly time) as well.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: February 08, 2023 11:15PM

I see several differences. The KR’s are the lowest snag designs practically possible. The other choice appears to have higher snag potential in the strippers with the runners being less expensive to manufacture flat stampings. The KR’s come in known, industry standard materials that have properties that can readily be researched and compared. Torzite is their only trade name ceramic material, and Fuji has given some information about hardness and strength. On the other hand, I can’t quantitatively compare “a mix of materials”. The actual base metal is divulged with the KR’s, rather than being named after metals that only appear in a very thin coating. I just prefer knowing over trusting vague descriptions or having to cut through ad copy fog.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2023 11:39PM by Kendall Cikanek.

Date: February 09, 2023 06:50PM

Roger, I can change them, but I'd rather not.

Posted by: david loftus (---)
Date: February 11, 2023 08:29AM

I f I decide to change my runners and tip top to a 6 can I use these ?

American Tackle TiForged Spinning Running Guides TRS
Black / Duralite / 6
SKU: DBTRS-6

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: February 11, 2023 09:10AM

David,
This is a custom rod building forum.

When building a rod, you can use any particular component that you wish to use for the build.

If you like it, and if it works for your particular build - then use it.

If you like it, and if it doesn't work for your particular build and you use it; you may then if you wish, remove that or those components and use something else.

Best wishes

Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: February 11, 2023 08:19PM

Mark,

I am confused. I don't think we have an argument about what you said VS what I said:

* I agree that MAX distance is important. 'In-close' fishing is also enhanced by smooth flowing line; no argument there with Chris, either.
* The KR Concept is an advantage in the the MAX Distance Game without a doubt. I think it puts me at the head of the curve IF MAX Distance is my goal. That's why I use it and value it.
* I agree 100% that MAX Advantages are good for fisher-folks! I want the MAX-MAX Rod! (Bluegill to Blue Marlin! One Rod to Rule Them All! - Lord of the Rings reference.) But you know, physics happens.

My meager point was that (hyperbole) having a rig that can throw 1,200 yards is a bit over-valued when pitching to targets at 30 to 40 ft. for the kind of fishing I do. I wasn't saying distance is not important.

I'm not putting MW Guides down; I have no experience with them. I think Fuji can do everything the MW's can do, and have more flexibility in purchasing and choice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2023 02:46PM by Les Cline.

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: February 12, 2023 06:37AM

Hey David - that's what I do - switch the runners and tip top out to size 6's and they work great! The black TiForged should match up perfectly.

One can split hairs all day, but the Microwaves work really well to do what they do, and like I said - it's just fun to watch them work!

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 12, 2023 12:46PM

Lynn, You are correct ,Wavespin guides were sold by Swampland for Castaway in 2011 and you only got two in a package for $18.75. I still have a few sets that I ordered from Bill Stevens. If anyone would like to read a little history of these guides, do a search for WaveSpin guides by Bill Stevens(2011).

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Date: February 12, 2023 07:45PM

Thank you Dennis.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: February 13, 2023 01:30PM

The ease of set-up is a real plus for entry level builders, or anytime it needs to be done quickly.
We actually mocked up some strippers before American Tackle came out with their kits, same theory.
They all worked well, our fabricated strippers were pretty crude, but the concept is solid.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster