I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Microwave guides
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: February 05, 2023 07:26PM

I would use the Microwave stripper and next reduction guide with the runners of my choice, which would be Fuji KB-KT's.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dean Veltman (---)
Date: February 05, 2023 07:50PM

If I had a dealer that sold the first two guides separately, I would probably do this as well. Since the Microwave guides are not available in Titanium, I would probably at least run titanium frame runners on lighter rods at least.

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: February 06, 2023 12:23AM

Dean Veltman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If I had a dealer that sold the first two guides
> separately, I would probably do this as well.
> Since the Microwave guides are not available in
> Titanium, I would probably at least run titanium
> frame runners on lighter rods at least.

The MW12, MW18, MW20 all come in a TiOn frame.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 06, 2023 06:05AM

Is TiOn solid titanium alloy or a titanium coating? It's not clear in AmTak advertising, but since they are clear on the Titans that the guide frames are solid titanium (alloy) and that is not mentioned with the TiOn, I think it's just a plating.

Posted by: Dean Veltman (---.datapacket.com)
Date: February 06, 2023 06:43AM

I am pretty certain the spinning TiOn guides are only a coating. I switched to the black ones for that reason. Cost wasn’t worth it for just a coating.

Posted by: Rick Handrick (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 06, 2023 08:35AM

I will say that I have not used, or actually even seen 'in person' the microwave guides. But - and of course this is only MY personal reaction - when I first saw them I thought they looked like a gimmick. Just a little too busy maybe? Not sure - the aesthetics ruin it for me.

Posted by: Evan Cobb (---.rochester.rr.com)
Date: February 06, 2023 09:18AM

I’ve used a Lews production rod that had microwaves and I was throughly impressed with them. I haven’t built any rods with them just because a KR SiC guide train is about the same cost or less. Like others, if I could buy the first two reduction guides then I would probably build with them

Posted by: Michael Ward (---.atlagax1.pop.starlinkisp.net)
Date: February 06, 2023 09:27AM

TiOn is NOT titanium - it is a coating (vapor deposited based I think) - but I know for sure from my titanium anodizing work that at least the "stripper" guide is NOT titanium - in fact in their materials they state somewhere it is 316 stainless...

Posted by: Matt Ruggie (---)
Date: February 06, 2023 09:45AM

Michael Ward Wrote:
> TiOn is NOT titanium - it is a coating (vapor
> deposited based I think) - but I know for sure
> from my titanium anodizing work that at least the
> "stripper" guide is NOT titanium - in fact in
> their materials they state somewhere it is 316
> stainless...

Mudhole describes them as 316 SS.....AND...coming in chrome, TiON, and Black "finishes". FWIW

be nice if they offered a Ti frame but paying a premium for TiON coating doesnt make sense to me. If ya can get just the stripper and second guide then put me on the list to tey em out too. Its been the runners and having to buy a set that has keept me away too.

From what ive read its seems that the guys that have used em are impressed and the guys that steer away, do so cause of the looks.

Posted by: Dean Veltman (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: February 06, 2023 11:45AM

Since the microwave runners are most similar to the belly guides of fuji in size, I weigh 10 of each and averaged the weight.

Fuji T2 SIC black guides size 5: 0.1 grams each
Alconite belly guides size 5: 0.17 grams each
Microwave Nanolite size 5 runner: 0.25 grams each

In a whole set of runners made of one of these, would be less than 0.05 ounces difference in weight for the runners.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 06, 2023 11:57AM

We did some comparisons with identical blanks, grips, and reel seat placement when they first came out with spinning builds. We only did this once with these blanks and only for spinning rods so this may not be the best test. With repeated cast the Fuji Concept rod (rapid reduction) consistently cast farther by about 5 to 10 feet. Without having to really think about guide placement and size, the Microwaves work very well and are suited to a generic style of rod building. They do work better than traditional spinning cone of flight using larger guides without rapid reduction. There will always be place for something like that.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: February 07, 2023 03:20PM

I called American Tackle about purchasing Microwave guide/guides individually.

AT only will sell a #12 or #18 for casting and fly stripper. The separate larger components for the spinning rods are not for sale.

I would appreciate it if anyone knows a source for single components.

thanks

Posted by: Dean Veltman (---)
Date: February 07, 2023 06:32PM

It would be interesting to see the following:

1. First two microwave spinning guides, then Fuji runners vs. regular Microwave and Fuji KR

2. Fuji KR set up for a specific reel and the next reel size larger that changes specs a bit.

I wonder if the 5-10’ difference Lance saw would also show up with using a different reel with the ideal KR setup. Or, if the Microwave setup would gain 5-10’ with lighter Ti runners.

I worry that I would not be consistent enough to accurately measure that stuff. I have found that with my preferred handle length on a spinning rod, the first second guide on a Microwave layout falls EXACTLY at the ferrule on the top half of the blank on a 7-6 rod. If I could get a blank with a couple tip sections, I could even tweak the guide handle enough that all the runners could be on the upper half pretty easily with a 7-6 rod. If NFC would like to donate a 7-6 rod, either SJ762-2 (HM) or a HS-7600-2 (HM) with two tips for testing purposes, just let me know :)

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: February 07, 2023 07:01PM

John DeMartini Wrote:
> I called American Tackle about purchasing
> Microwave guide/guides individually.
>
> AT only will sell a #12 or #18 for casting and fly
> stripper. The separate larger components for the
> spinning rods are not for sale.
>

I stand corrected...I actually asked about that myself and was told otherwise.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: February 07, 2023 07:24PM

I don't remember the inventor selling full sets. I could be wrong. I think that changed after A/T took them over.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 08, 2023 12:03AM

Chris Catignani Wrote:
> John DeMartini Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I called American Tackle about purchasing
> > Microwave guide/guides individually.
> >
> > AT only will sell a #12 or #18 for casting and
> fly
> > stripper. The separate larger components for
> the
> > spinning rods are not for sale.
> >
>
>" I stand corrected...I actually asked about that
> myself and was told otherwise."

Chris;

It seems we received information from different sales response scripts.

If it is AT policy not to sell some Microwave components, so be it, I wont throw myself on my sword.

If Microwave guides become available individually, I will reconsider my options.

Have fun

John

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: February 08, 2023 08:21AM

I'd say this for sure - You can get pretty affordable sets to try, and just omit the guides you don't like and substitute.

Then try a set - it's just fun to watch how they work! And for me the end goal of fishing is to have fun.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 08, 2023 09:15AM

During the same time period that many new guide systems evolved, line evolved as well. Almost any rod, even with the old Cone of Flight system, will cast further now than it did in the past. The main advantages of any of the NGC systems or MicroWave system lie beyond casting distance.

Posted by: Matt Ruggie (---)
Date: February 08, 2023 11:36AM

Marc Morrone Wrote:
> I'd say this for sure - You can get pretty
> affordable sets to try, and just omit the guides
> you don't like and substitute.
>
> Then try a set - it's just fun to watch how they
> work! And for me the end goal of fishing is to
> have fun.
Yeah I was kinda thinking that too. The finesse set can be had for around $32. Thinking give it a try with KB/KT's and just save those AmTak runners for a cheap kids rod build or something.

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dynamic.norvado.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: February 08, 2023 02:23PM

Honestly I think the Microwave runners are not getting enough credit. I replace them because I like size 6 runners - but if you don't mind 5's they are good!

And do try them - like it said - it's fun to watch them work!

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster