I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Gen 4 syringes
Posted by: Steve Perakis (---.cdn77.com)
Date: December 04, 2022 02:32PM

I bought my first batch of Gen 4 epoxy (low build) from a forum sponsor, but it arrived without syringes. I read a prior post stating they had a tacky cure when they didn’t use the correct syringes with Gen 4.

I have always used syringes to measure epoxy (FlexCoat, LS Supreme, Threadmaster) and have often done small quantities as low as 0.5 mL very successfully.

Any suggestions for how to measure small precise quantities of epoxy without the syringes? I am repairing individual guides on several rods and don’t need a big batch.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gen 4 syringes
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: December 04, 2022 02:44PM

Get some syringes

Posted by: Jack Duncan (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: December 04, 2022 02:59PM

Back in '92 when I started my fly rod building hobby, I used syringes, and had several mixing failures the first couple years. So in frustration, I raided the kitchen a found a 1/4 TSP/1.2 mil stainless steel measuring spoon. I've been using it since, and to date I've NEVER had a failure on at least 100 rods. I probably just jinxed myself!. I do receive syringes when I purchase certain epoxies, but I don't use them. They do appear to be of higher quality, and accuracy than those I used 30 years ago. I also believe today's finish mixes aren't quite as critical as back then.

Nevertheless, if you're stuck, head for the kitchen and find a measuring spoon.

Jack

Posted by: chris c nash (---.atmc.net)
Date: December 04, 2022 03:15PM

I have never used the syringes that came with G4 . Generation 4 like many others out there work perfectly as long as you're close just mix it thoroughly . Never experienced tackiness of any kind.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 04, 2022 03:25PM

Syringes are the best and easiest way to measure finish epoxy, use them in conjunction with the self sealing bottle cap insert. I just leave the syringe in the cap insert. I’ve used the same syringes for years. Don’t get medical syringes, they are silicon coated and create problems with the epoxy.
Norm

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 04, 2022 03:37PM

Use the same syringes you've been using.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: December 04, 2022 06:52PM

Good one Tom!

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: December 04, 2022 07:51PM

Steve,
Syringes and bottle stops for me! Combined, they are the most accurate, easy, no mess, no fuss method to measure thread epoxy. While I will certainly use old syringes for a new batch of the same type and viscosity, I would be very hesitant to mix different brands, even viscosities of the same brand. Although it is acknowledged that most of the 1-to-1 epoxies may be quite similar, none of us know for sure just how similar the actual chemistry makeup is. Why take a chance? I would much rather spend a couple of bucks to avoid a possible epoxy disaster.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Steve Perakis (---.cdn77.com)
Date: December 04, 2022 08:56PM

Thanks all for the input. I emailed Andy at Gen 4 who verified that they no longer supply syringes with “kits” as a way to keep costs down. Bummer. I would’ve just bought syringes with my order, except the product was advertised as “Generation 4 Low Build Rod Finish Kit with Syringes 8oz Kit”

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: December 04, 2022 08:59PM

Suck up a little DNA or acetone (or U-40 brush cleaner) and expel it before switching. How clean do they have to be? I wouldn't switch between resin and hardener however, bad Juju!

Posted by: El Bolinger (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 04, 2022 10:53PM

Similar issue here having ordered Gen 4 but there's no syringes, I have some flex coat filled syringes though - once those are empty can they be cleaned and used for the Gen 4?

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: December 04, 2022 11:44PM

Lynn and El,
See my original reply above.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: El Bolinger (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 05, 2022 12:04AM

@MARK- I had read that and value your thoughts and experience, but it's at least $10 for shipping if I don't need $100-$150 worth of stuff right now (already ended up dropping way more cake on these building supplies/tools than I realized I would need to getting into this - but I expect the value to be exponential with more bulds).

I just happened to not know at the time the little details of builders backup and extra supplies they've learned to keep handy (syringes seemingly being on the list of worth have a few extra just in case).

So I ask about cleaning and using to avoid spending 14 bucks on 2 syringes or ordering h I ndreds of dollars worth of stuff to make it worth paying for shipping.

Posted by: Nick McCasey (---.hrfr.fibertech.com)
Date: December 05, 2022 06:56AM

Ed,

Check VooDoo rods (site sponsor). They have syringes (and the bottle stops Mark mentioned) for 2-3 dollars. In addition their shipping is reasonably priced, and they almost always ship my orders the same day they're placed.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: December 05, 2022 05:12PM

I use these 5ml syringes for thread finish measuring.
I use them for other types of epoxy as well.

No issues of any kind using these syringes.

Very inexpensive and easy to use:

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: El Bolinger (50.233.0.---)
Date: December 06, 2022 01:27PM

@ROGER thank you very much for sharing, I was inspired to search the term epoxy in the amazon reviews for a number of similar syringes (because the one you linked doesn't have tips) and I think I am narrowing it down.

How could I test if there was an silicone coating issue? would just applying a coat and letting it dry over night reveal the issue if there was a coating?

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ip-167-114-11.net)
Date: December 06, 2022 01:54PM

If you have any craft or hobby shops nearby sometimes they have syringes. I like the type that do not have rubber plungers. If you get syringes with rubber end plungers make sure to pull the plunger and wipe off the smear of silicon grease they sometimes put on those.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 06, 2022 03:21PM

The best place to get syringes for epoxy finish is at one of the rod building supply stores. Don’t get syringes with a rubber plunger end, they will eventually break down and discolor the epoxy. Also don’t get syringes with a luer lock end, they are designed to lock a needle in place and will not fit into the self sealing bottle cap inserts. Need to get luer slip syringes, with out a rubber plunger end.
Norm

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---)
Date: December 08, 2022 01:37PM

chris c nash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have never used the syringes that came with G4 .
> Generation 4 like many others out there work
> perfectly as long as you're close just mix it
> thoroughly . Never experienced tackiness of any
> kind.

That is not good advice.

Posted by: chris c nash (---.atmc.net)
Date: December 08, 2022 04:01PM

Lance Dupre Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> chris c nash Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I have never used the syringes that came with G4
> .
> > Generation 4 like many others out there work
> > perfectly as long as you're close just mix it
> > thoroughly . Never experienced tackiness of
> any
> > kind.
>
>
> That is not good advice.

Never said it was just my personal experience . I used to use syringes but stopped using them . I just use a certain type of clear plastic cup sold by a certain supply company with the measurements already clearly identified on the OUTSIDE . I have found them to be exceedingly accurate . I realized that over time whether I used the syringes to add finish to the cups or added finish to the cups without the syringes the measurements were always exactly the same in the end so I decided to eliminate the syringes all together as they just added an unnecessary extra step to the process. Of course the resin and hardener are warmed before adding it to the measuring/mixing cup as it helps settle the resin and hardener much more quickly which allows more precise accuracy. I add the warmed resin or hardener until you get very close to the measurement line on the cup and then you add a single drop at a time until you're dead on with that first measurement .

This is usually at the 5ml mark on the cup since I'm working on long surf rods after one part of the mix is dead on accurate I add the other part until it is perfectly aligned with the 10ml mark and then I mix for 2 + minutes. Never ever had any issues whatsoever of any kind.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster