I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Gen 4 syringes
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 08, 2022 04:10PM

The more you mix the easier it is. Being off a single drop on a 1cc total mix would be a disaster. Being off a single drop on an 8 cc mix wouldn't likely alter the set and cure of the finish. The smaller the batch, the more critical careful measuring becomes.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: December 08, 2022 05:34PM

Ed,
Out of curiosity, why do you want any tips on the syringes?
I have never used tips on syringes and have never had the need.

I personally prefer to keep the caps on the part A and on part B epoxies just to insure that the epoxy stays clean and uncontaminated.

I never turn the containers upside down, but rather just use extensions on each syringe, made for the appropriate sized piece of rod blank. Each of these extensions are clearly marked A and B.
Each syringe, prior to its first use is also clearly marked A and B.

I have test tubes - to hold each syringe that is also clearly marked.

I never clean the syringes or extension, just keep them in the test tubes when not in use.

When I empty a pair of containers, I will grab a new pair of syringes to use for the next batch.

As long as you do not intermix part A and part B applicators, no need to ever clean them up.

Best wishes.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 08, 2022 08:03PM

I believe they're talking about the plunger ends. Some are hard plastic and some are rubber.

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.wavecable.com)
Date: December 08, 2022 08:34PM

I have used syringes for decades and if I want a 1cc amount in each syringe I very accurately watch the plunger location and the mix has always set up. All the caps on my epoxy finish bottles are the same size for each size bottle and I have noticed different brands are the same size. I drill a tight fit hole in the top of each cap, push the tip of the Syringe in the hole and circle with rod bond and there it stays. Before I put the bottle of epoxy away, I draw the plunger to the max then screw the cap in place. When I need to mix a new batch regardless the size I push the plunger in to "pressurize the bottle then draw the amount needed, set the bottle down to let excess inside the cap to run back in the bottle then expell it and mix. No failures and the cost of those syringes spread over as you say "100" rods would be pretty cheap and continue to be able to be used for 100's more. Ralph O'quin told me once in a seminar that you could rinse the medical syringes in gas, then maybe alcohol if that was all you had, but those rubber gasket plungers are a pain compared with the nylon ones and the Nylon ones don't eventually stick and tear after being unused for a long period of time.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: December 08, 2022 09:38PM

Before switching to syringes quite a few years ago I used cheap aluminum kitchen measuring spoons with no problem.

Posted by: El Bolinger (50.233.0.---)
Date: December 09, 2022 09:06AM

Thanks for all the input!

@CHRIS how are you getting the G4 out of the bottle in single drops, just holding it with the cap off with a miraculously steady hand?

@NORMAN - thanks for mentioning the rubber plunger end, I think that would have the biggest impact on longevity and possible contamination from lubrication - I think I found some syringes on Amazon that will fit the bill, I feel compelled to use syringes to be as precise as possible vs just hoping I can get it right in a cup.

I wish there was a physical store in MA that I could go to and handle some things or grab a few things without a crazy shipping charge or needing to spend a ton of money to avoid shipping fee.

It seems that people are saying if there is some sort of contamination issue with the syringe that it would manifest by the time the epoxy is done drying - I'll do a couple of test wraps and see what happens.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster