I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Painting a Rod Blank...
Posted by: Jordan Harris (---.dr01.blfd.wv.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 15, 2016 03:37PM

Is it possible to paint a blank and have it turn out nice, and if so what kind of paint would I need? Would I need to do any prep work on the blank? How would you seal it?

Any information would be very helpful. Thank you

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Painting a Rod Blank...
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.33.---)
Date: February 15, 2016 05:37PM

Jordan did you try the search function? It's all there.

Re: Painting a Rod Blank...
Posted by: Philip Marz (---.tampfl.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 21, 2016 12:21AM

I paint everything I've built so I'll tell you what I do then you can decide if you want to tackle it.
For paint I use automotive enamel and a urethane clear, both are durable and will hold up to abuse. Across the counter paints are not worth the effort and rarely produce good results. I'll prep the blanks by wet sanding with (usually) between 600 and 1500 grit wet/dry paper trying not to cut into the fibers. If the blank is lumpy enough I'll sand it, paint it, let it cure then re-sand. The idea is to have the paint fill the low spots. Its allot of work but the better prep job produces a nicer end result. If I can find the color I'm looking for I'll sometimes use Testers auto paints (2-3oz. cans per blank) then clear coat it with urethane using a spray gun. The last 4 or 5 rods I started pouring the paint. For about $20 the local auto paint store will mix the color I want. I then put the tip-top on the blank, hang it with something under it to catch the over-run then pour the paint starting from the bottom working up to the top. If the paint is properly reduced (thinned) it does a beautiful job, much better than spraying.

A couple things, after sanding the blank only handle it from the bottom where the handle will be. Another is, if you get dirt in the finish let it cure. Once cured lightly sand it with 1500 to smooth it then polish the area with a good automotive car polish and you'll never know it was there.

Good luck

Phil

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster