I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Microwave guides on a 5ft rod
Posted by: Nicholas Huang (14.100.132.---)
Date: February 16, 2016 02:19AM

Hi everyone,

I m doing my first microwave build. I m using the airwave guides. I have a question about the number of guides.

The rod I am building is a 5ft soild carbon blank. 8 to 17lbs with a 3000 reel with braid.

I measured the guide spacings using the information that came with the guide packet.

From my measurements, it seems that I am required to use 3 guides plus tip. The stripper, transition and a running guide plus tip. Is this right, it seems a bit weird?

From the KR GPS, if I was building a fuji KR style. I would need 4 guides plus tip.

Should I be adding an additional running guide to my rod?

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Microwave guides on a 5ft rod
Posted by: Michael Maclean (---.sub-70-209-22.myvzw.com)
Date: February 16, 2016 07:53AM

Tape them up as the measurements said so and then do a static distribution test, if you think you need another then move some guides around and add another

Posted by: Don @ American Tackle (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: February 16, 2016 09:27AM

Nicholas, what is your handle length? I am guessing you will be using more than the 3.... I would probably use 5-6 depending on the rear handle length.

800-516-1750 ext. 1207 / don@americantackle.us

Rod Building..... It's What We Do.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 16, 2016 09:37AM

Try using the 27 X method in the library page

Bill - willierods.com

Date: February 16, 2016 10:20AM

DO NOT USE THE 27X METHOD on MicroWave guides..... please email or call me and we can figure out a layout for you.

Date: February 16, 2016 02:20PM

Don

Been thinking about your statement

Why can it not be used with those guides I got to ask

Bill - willierods.com

Date: February 16, 2016 02:23PM

Deviating from the required guide placement provided with the MicroWave guide system may result in poor performance. Lots of extensive testing went into finding the perfect placement resulting in optimal performance.

Date: February 16, 2016 02:30PM

But what I don't understand is that all guides are Guides With rings that the line goes though and if set up correctly will work
I realize this is just a wast of typing but No spacing is perfect And all should be static tested and Test casted and also sizes changed to get the best performance
The spinning guides work well I can not see how a casting set up would work any better
Plus i am a believer in the Tom's system

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2016 02:33PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Nicholas Huang (---.singnet.com.sg)
Date: February 17, 2016 02:50AM

Hi guys,

The handle length is 9.5" measured from end of butt to the tip of the lip where the reel goes into on a VSS. It is an down locking reel seat.

From the tip of the spool lip (at highest point) to end of butt its 13.5"

I did a static placement and did a rod with 5 guides and tip, I think that's reasonable. But i m building another one tomorrow...any advice?

Don, thanks for the info :)

Thanks.

Date: February 17, 2016 09:09AM

Try 5 Static test and see how the line follows the blank You can always take one off

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (192.75.48.---)
Date: February 17, 2016 03:24PM

Bill What is your experience with the Micro wave Guide system? Did you use the measurements for guide placement provided or did you use your own method?? Did you try both ways and see which way works best as far as casting ability?

If you have some information as to which is the best way to set these guides up you should share with the foroum. But if you have never used them perhaps you should leave your static placement comments out of the discussion.

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Date: February 17, 2016 04:38PM

The Fuji Software just sets up the butt down to the chock guide So I just figure with a 5' if there is room depending on how far apart and down the rod the butt is set up

I also do not think it is right to sell the butt guides on the systems ( in sets ) when a lot only want the butt and the Freedom to pick there own guides
Plus the spinning set up works But I can not see the casting
Just me ???

Bill - willierods.com

Date: February 19, 2016 10:03AM

Like I said Bill would you mind sharing your experiance with the Micro wave guide system . I dont believe that you have ever used the system at all.

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: February 19, 2016 11:20AM

Rolly, I have used the Microwaves and had great luck with them setting them up as they are told to in the instructions. I know that the first few from the butt are set at a specific distance from the reel face, this helps to control the line, deviation will cause problems (known from personal experience). I have a feeling that Bill has never used them, and as such you should take his advise with more than just a grain of salt (as in don't believe a word he says). Also I believe the directions state that you can vary the spacing of the frt guides, so a 5 foot rod should have between 5-7 guides including the tip top.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2016 11:22AM by Mark Blabaum.

Date: February 19, 2016 11:54AM

Excuse me for having My Own Mind and believe in certain things And not kissing A8888

Bill - willierods.com

Date: February 19, 2016 12:14PM

Bill, I'm sorry that you fell that way, I'm not sure how following directions is kissing A8888? I'm not trying to start a fight, but I don't understand one thing: if you've never used the system, why are you telling people to set up the American Tackle Microwave with the Fuji, and Tom's 27X system. Both of those systems are a different breed and a perfectly viable way to install guides, and very good at controlling line, but they are not microwaves. If you've used the microwave system and have experience with them please don't kiss A8888, share your experience.

Date: February 19, 2016 12:25PM

I read and have read the fuji system many times
But if I do not wish to use it That's me Fuji makes a lot of nice stuff Not all of it I go for
If that is OK with you

Bill - willierods.com

Date: February 19, 2016 02:02PM

bill boettcher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I read and have read the fuji system many times
> But if I do not wish to use it That's me Fuji
> makes a lot of nice stuff Not all of it I go for
> If that is OK with you

Bill, I'm ok with it, but the original question was on American Tackle Microwaves and had nothing to do with Fuji. Seems as though you are kissing another manufacturers A888.

Date: February 19, 2016 02:41PM

That was my point in the first place. Bill seems to have a opinion on everything yet never has used any of it. I happen to have used the Micro wave guides both the casting and the spinning guides and I like them alot. I also use the 27x method when a customer wants other guides then the microwave guide system. Don from american tackle tells the Original poster to not use the 27x or static testing for the first 3 guides yet Bill tells him to.

That is why I asked Bill to share his experiance with the guides. I already knew he never tried them.

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Date: February 19, 2016 03:55PM

have used the spinning guides They make sense You know ( common sense ) The whole idea is to straighten the ( pig tails ) coming off a spinning reel
But line comes off a casting reel No Pig Tails This makes no sense to me
Also if you did some reading you will find I said Fuji just deals with the butt guide to the choker after that if there is room put what ever runners that will fit
How many posts from builders that have and are having trouble with measuring the reel
I see no need People will use what they want I Never Tell Anyone To do what I do

The last time I looked around This is a free country I can believe in whatever I choose to

This @#$%& Contest is over
have a nice day Gentleman

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster