I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Advantage of Sic vs Alconite
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: November 02, 2022 07:24PM

BC Grey frames and Fazite or Alconite for me. Fuji corrosion control frames. I don't build for salt.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: November 02, 2022 09:35PM

The corrosion resistance of many stainless steel (SS) alloys can be enhanced by the passivation process (Fuji’s CC?). The process tends to bring “non-rusting” elements such as chromium and nickel to the very surface to aid in corrosion resistance. But the process only affects an extremely thin outer layer of the base material and can be easily compromised with minor scratches and such. Thus, I contend that the best medicine is the best alloy = 316 SS. 316 is certainly more expensive than say 304 and possibly does not machine or form (stamp) as well = more information from the guide manufacturers would certainly be welcomed and well received.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Matt Ruggie (---)
Date: November 02, 2022 10:15PM

i like the looks of the bc grey alconites. havent tried the fazlites cause not a fan of the blueish ring but admit never saw em in person..thinking im gonna use bc grey alconites on a couple immortals, should look nice

whats gonna be the closest match to the polished frame alconites? i may need a few sizes

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 03, 2022 12:49PM

To me the real issue with guides is not what guide is "best" for corrosion resistance or ring hardness or any other single attribute; it is what guide best fits my needs (corrosion resistance, strength, design, appearance, weight, price).

This leads me to different guides for different priorities on my rod builds. I use SS on some (never had a modern Fuji guide corrode or groove), titanium on some, (for salt and/or max sensitivity/recovery speed) different sizes, different rings (usually SIC or Alconite), etc.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: November 03, 2022 01:36PM

Mark Talmo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Although a Fuji supporter, I have always wondered
> why Fuji uses 302/303/304 SS rather than 316SS
> which has the best corrosion resistance of the
> commonly-available SSs.?.?.? That said, I have not
> experienced any corrosion on Fuji SS guides on my
> saltwater builds. Nonetheless….

I have on many rods with these, but I mostly fish saltwater only. The newer CC coating makes them much more corrosion resistant.

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.wavecable.com)
Date: November 03, 2022 09:15PM

can someone give me the technical reason why black frame is bad for the environment?

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 04, 2022 06:16AM

From April 2020 annuncement: "The company’s most recent sustainability challenge has been the development of a new series of guide frame treatments. Fuji’s proprietary “CC” treatment is now in full production, a process that reduces emissions and produces minimal waste that is not only organic but also eco-friendly. Additionally, the process boosts corrosion resistance compared to standard stainless steel. Fuji is now transitioning, from the environmentally harsh “automotive” type coatings used on Black and Gunsmoke colored frames, to the more eco-friendly silver (CC), dark grey (BC) and Gunmetal (GM) treated frames. In the future, all Fuji products will be manufactured with special attention to environmental impact and sustainability."

[fishingtackleretailer.com]

This does not mean that ALL black guide treatments are environmentally harsh. It means that what Fuji had been using was and they were leaving it. This is all the detail I could find.

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster