I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Advantage of Sic vs Alconite
Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: October 28, 2022 08:24PM

I would choose SIC for tip tops and Alconite for guides. The tip sees the most action and SIC is more durable than Alconite..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2022 09:02PM by John DeMartini.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 28, 2022 08:39PM

Any ceramic guide for your requirements will work just fine. I've never had any guide groove, and that incluces a lot of cheap rods, whatever they had for guides.

But I have had tiptops groove.

So I now only use SIC tiptops. Will Alcontie not groove? I've not had any groove, but for the most confidence in the most critical point in the guide train, I go SIC.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: October 28, 2022 11:07PM

Cameron,
I am surprised that others have not mentioned two other factors concerning Sic; 1.) being harder than most other ceramic guide rings also equates to it being more brittle and hence more susceptible to fracture / failure from relatively minor bumps and banging, 2.) Sic dissipates heat better than any other guide ring material. Because of #1, I rarely use Sic unless it is the only insert available for the type / style guide being employed. A broken ring will most likely end your day of fishing or at least severely impact it. As for #2, heat is admittedly an enemy of most materials, fishing line included. But I fail to see how enough heat could be generated to noticeably degrade the line when it is traveling in a rather straight line and not much actual force or abrasion applied on it by the polished guide rings, and it is usually wet as well.
As many others, I have not witnessed any grooving in “lesser” ceramics than Sic. Is comparing Sic to Alconite (or most modern guide ring ceramics for that matter) splitting hairs? While that question may be debatable, I think it actually has more to do with personal preference. For me, I trust and employ Alconite for 95% of my builds, fresh or salt. There is no question in my mind that Alconite is the best-bang-for-the-buck, but wouldn’t use it if compromised by grooving!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 29, 2022 10:39AM

I haven't seen any rule of thumb for only using 1 guide per foot of rod length. Perhaps 1 guide per foot, plus one plus a tiptop, but even that would be from earlier days when guides were heavier and you had to balance sufficient stress distribution against a harmful increase in weight. Guides these days are so much lighter you can easily build rods at 1.5 guides per foot of rod length and not pay much in the way of a weight penalty.

Posted by: chris c nash (---.atmc.net)
Date: October 29, 2022 02:18PM

The amount of running guides to use should be determined by each individual blanks inherent characteristics never it's overall length . Fuji's software takes none of that into consideration . Some blanks will need more running guides than others and vice versa based on each blanks widely varying stiffness and flex profiles . Don't forget Fuji is a guide manufacturer so it's no surprise they will recommend using the most running guides possible.

One of Fuji's blatant falsehoods is that more guides equals better casting distance , this is incorrect . As long as you strategically place running guides along the blanks natural bend the fact is less overall guides produces the furthest casting distance not more . I will admit in the beginning I fell for Fuji's advertising about more guides equals better casting distance but after repeated extensive testing I found that belief to be hogwash . This doesn't mean that using the least amount of running guides possible is the way to go , (Although long distance casters will argue that point since they strongly opt for less guides for ultimate distance) it just means use enough running guides to fully support the natural flex along the entire blank but that's it , don't add any more than that . It equates to zero benefit .

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: October 29, 2022 06:12PM

Chris, you surely aren't talking about Fuji's KR software recommending using the most running guides. It's a safe bet that the wide majority of this site's members that have used the KR software will say that the software doesn't recommend enough running guides. Personally I think they should recommend at least 2 more running guides than they do.

As far as the number of running guides needed goes ...... from the comments I have seen on this site and other rod building related sites, that seems to be a personal preference kind of thing. Certainly you have to have enough guides to distribute the load along the blank well enough that it isn't going to cause the blank to break when put under a heavy load ...... but some, and this is where the personal preference thing comes in, some builders don't mind the blank flexing a little more between guides, than other builders do.

I've said before that it would be a safe bet for me to say that I probably using more running guides than most of the members of this site, do. And that is out of my personal preference to have the line's path follow the curve of the blank under load, very closely. For me it doesn't matter if it's a spinning rod, or a casting rod. I use the same number of running guides on a conventionally wrapped casting rod, as I do a spinning rod.

Of course you can over do the number of guides, but the more guides, the more of the blank's power is utilized. That and a higher number of guides (not to an extreme) helps to protect the blank if and when a rod is subjected to poor rod handling while fighting and landing a fish.

Date: October 29, 2022 07:49PM

It's all a balance. More guides equals less casting distance. Less guides means less adequate stress distribution. You have to find the best compromise.

Date: October 30, 2022 09:21AM

I don't think fewer guides will result in longer casts if the rod blank is not stressed properly. If "less" means fewer than too many, then I would agree. And it may not be because of friction; it might be because the recovery time is slowed.

I believe David Baylor has it right in his philosophy. I have many rods with more guides than Fuji recommends and more than I think many builders would use and I still seem to usually be the longest caster in the boat.

No, I do not have hard data. Just a lot of builds and a lot of fishing experience.

Date: October 30, 2022 01:23PM

Friction between and line and guides on the cast wouldn't be the issue - reduced rod speed due to increased weight would. Again, it's all a compromise and finding the right balance of both.

Posted by: chris c nash (---.atmc.net)
Date: October 30, 2022 01:54PM

Yes, less means fewer than "Too many" I thought my post made that clear .

" Use enough running guides to fully support the natural flex along the entire blank but that's it , don't add any more than that . It equates to zero benefit "

Date: October 30, 2022 02:03PM

Fuji does not recomend too many guides.

Date: October 30, 2022 02:15PM

I think that I’m in the same boat, so to speak, as David and Michael = possibly using more guides than the majority. My 7ft UL spinners usually end-up with 9 guides and a couple had (have) 10. And back to the original subject of the post, I doubt if I could tell the difference between Sic or Alconite on any of those.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: October 30, 2022 06:44PM

Chris, the point I was trying to make was that not everyone has the same opinion on the number of guides it takes to " to fully support the natural flex along the entire blank" You may think I use too many, I may think you use too few. Or vice versa.

That's why I said it was personal preference.

Date: October 30, 2022 10:16PM

Cameron,
With over 7000 views, that might be a record!!! But only 33 replies?!?!?

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Steven Paris (---.37.17.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: October 31, 2022 05:45AM

7 year old post could be why there are so many views and Cameron hasn't been around for 6.

Date: October 31, 2022 02:05PM

Thanks Steven; I guess that explains that. I’m still on-the-fence with the new format.

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Steven Paris (---.37.17.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: October 31, 2022 03:08PM

It did generate quite a few new post so it was probably a good topic to revisit.
Steve

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 02, 2022 02:01PM

Its a bunch of hype. The Alconite guides are fine and you fishing freshwater the Fuji SS frames are fine. SIC are more prone to cracking and Torzite is too expensive. Seaguide, Kigan and Alps have a better quality stainless frame material.

Date: November 02, 2022 03:17PM

Although a Fuji supporter, I have always wondered why Fuji uses 302/303/304 SS rather than 316SS which has the best corrosion resistance of the commonly-available SSs.?.?.? That said, I have not experienced any corrosion on Fuji SS guides on my saltwater builds. Nonetheless….

Mark Talmo

Date: November 02, 2022 07:16PM

I believe that Fuji maintains that the processing of the materials affects the corrosion resistance and that some 302's processed properly match 316. If I'm wrong I expect Fuji will correct me. I have never had a corrosion problem with Fuji SS. I have had one frame fail from corrosion, a rod I've used in salt, and I don't know who the guide maker was. Old , cheap, travel rod.

If you go with the Corrosion Control the corrosion resistance is claimed to be better than 316 based on tests conducted by an independent lab.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2022 06:19AM by Michael Danek.

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster