I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

fighting butt on a fly rod
Posted by: Rex Mason (---.sangtx.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 16, 2015 10:26AM

I botched the installation of the reel seat on a 9 ft. 6wt. fly rod and now have a non-standard length rod approximately 8ft-7in long. I purchased a new blank to complete my project and will now build a 6wt 8'7" fly rod with a foam core handle. I will use the rod primarily for bass, bluegillll & crappie. I am toying with the idea of moving the back of the reel seat 2-3 inches up from the end of the blank and installing a fighting butt.

I have not used a fly rod at all in 25 years and have not fly fished for bass in 35+ years. I am losing the grip in my hands & thought the fighting butt might give me better control if or when I hook a decent bass

Another thought is to install the reel seat even with the blank butt and glue a piece of another blank inside the rod blank and install a fighting butt onto that.

I would appreciate others thoughts on building this shortened fly rod for myself.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fighting butt on a fly rod
Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: August 16, 2015 10:59AM

1-you can remove the reel seat and start over
2- you can trim the butt and add fighting butt(trimming will change the action)
3-i recommend a large grip it will be easier to hold(i always do this with people who have gripping issues or arthritis)
it is your rod. make it however you want

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.direcway.com)
Date: August 16, 2015 11:16AM

Rex, Check with our sponsors on the left. They sell resets with a fighting butt. Often it is removable so you can use only when needed.
Good luck with your project.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Bruce Johnstone (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: August 16, 2015 11:18AM

Usually the fighting butt epoxies into the bottom of the reel seat and the blank butts up against it. The fighting butt will give you something to grip with your other hand. It usually is used to place against the body and gives you a fulcrum to fight the fish with while reeling and palming the reel with the off hand. I think for loss of grip you would be better off with a larger grip as John suggests. You'll also find it is more comfortable just to handle the rod and cast.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 16, 2015 12:24PM

Rex,
Please describe why you think you botched the job.
How much blank is protruding from the back of the reel seat?
What sort of reel seat did you use?
You measure the length of the rod from the end of the fighting butt to the tip. So I don't understand why you say you now have a 8'7" rod. Maybe you will have a much longer fighting butt than you anticipated - but that doesn't make the rod shorter.
I typically leave 1 3/8" - 1 1/2" of blank outside the seat to affix cork rings for the fighting butt.
That is still a 9'0" fly rod.
Herb

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 16, 2015 12:30PM

You can also do what some big game fly rod anglers do - craft a grip that features an additional cigar shaped 4-inch forward section onto a standard 7-inch full wells grip. When a fish is hooked, you can move your hand forward those few inches which then effectively puts the reel seat portion under your forearm near the elbow, reducing the leverage advantage the fish has on you.

Posted by: Rex Mason (---.sangtx.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 17, 2015 06:51AM

I was installing a PacBay reel seat that comes with a metal butt cap. I had not taken a good look at a fly reel seat in a long time and installed the seat with the threads next to the grip. I was trying to remove the reel seat to turn it around and broke the rod just In front of the reel seat. I did not want to give my client a shortened rod with potential loss of action so I purchased new blank & reel seat & started over on his rod. That is when I decided to try my hand at fly fishing again. There is a small lake near here where I can go fish for an hour or so at a time.

Utilizing suggestions from several of you, I think I will make the handle oversized with the front extension to hold onto when I have a fish.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 17, 2015 07:31AM

Now I understand.

Herb

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 17, 2015 07:54AM

I larger diameter grip will also help you in being able to grasp the rod more comfortably. Remember, if you have a lathe you can always reduce the diameter of the grip if you decide to do so later.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 17, 2015 05:15PM

Never be in a hurry -- Always dry fit before you glue up -- Then think about what you are doing If not sure ASK

I mark all things with a piece of tape as to and with an arrow to tell me which way it goes on -- Everything is marked - Just a reminder And don't watch TV as you do your work Been there

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster