I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly Rod Help
Posted by: Chris Tulk (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: February 23, 2014 03:57PM

Hi All,

I want to build a fly rod to use at my cottage this year. Problem is I am not an experienced fly fisherman. I would be fishing for bass and pike.

I am looking to a tutorial on fly rods. When guys talk about 4wt or 9wt I have to idea what that means.

Any help would be really appreciated!

Thank You,

Chris Tulk

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly Rod Help
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 23, 2014 04:22PM

It isn't that hard. In a nutshell the weight is about the weight of the line. Much like how heavy a sinker you will use, the bait (or fly) is just along for the ride. Now the bigger/bulkier/more wind resistant the fly is....and the worse the wind conditons are....the heavier the line weight you will need.

Now the other part is rod strength. You could use a 12 weight and cast any fly. But a 12 weight wouldn't be much fun for a small trout. Most would say a 7 weight is right for bass. I think most would go a tad higher for pike. Depends on size of fish, waters you fish, and what you want to cast. In the end I think you would do fine with a 7 or 8 weight rod. As a beginner I wouldn't go with an ultra fast high end blank. Rainshadow's RX6/RX7 or a MHX would be a good place to start and would be a good enough rod to be satisfied with as you progress.

My favorite bargain place for fly rod blanks is Utmost but they don't have any listed at the moment....but you could always call and ask.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 23, 2014 04:33PM

First thing I would suggest is to do a Google search on Learning About Fly Rods And Fly casting and Fly Line Weights

You will get a lot of Learning materials to read

Also if you have any fishing shops in your area Find out if they teach how to cast a fly rod

All rods Load with a weight Of either a lure or Fly line
The 4-5-7- etc is the line weight that should load the rod 4 wt - 5wt - 7 wt

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2014 04:36PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 23, 2014 04:34PM

If there is one near you, I highly recommend joining a fly fishing club. Most have programs for beginners and the members can give you good advice.

Date: February 23, 2014 06:10PM

Hi Guys!

Bill I have started reading online.Wow. A lot of info.

Phil I think I will look for a fly fishing club for some one on one lessons.

Russ most of what I have read basically says a 7wt medium action is a great starter that covers what I will want it for. I am still trying to determine the length though? I will be fishing from a boat.

Thank You,

Chris Tulk

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: February 23, 2014 06:40PM

the 7 or 8 WT will do what you want , have fun, the frist buld. stay cheep an learn by your mistakes as you will make some
SID

William Sidney
AK

Date: February 23, 2014 07:38PM

Hi William,

What length would you recommend? Medium or fast action?

Thank You,

Chris Tulk

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2014 07:45PM

I would start with a glass or S-glass rod blank. The slower action will help you learn good casting techniques. People who start with a graphite rod have trouble casting with a glass rod, while the opposite is true of those who started with a glass rod and learn to load the rod on the back cast. The smaller the number of the rated line weight, the lighter the line. If you are going for large pike, I would go with an 8 or 9 wt blank about 9'. It will cast the large heavy flies well.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.lightspeed.frsnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 24, 2014 03:39AM

9 foot in length is standard for a fly rod.

sounds like a 9 foot, 7wt 4 piece Batson RX6 would work well and not break the bank. maybe even an RX7. many other options of course, but these would be a good starting point. try a full wells cork grip on that, maybe even a short removable fighting butt. i wrapped a 7 wt RX7 for largemouth/striped bass using a Pacific Bay Channel Lock (CL8?) all aluminum reel seat years ago, works fine for my needs.

having someone beside you as you learn to fly cast is highly recommended. one of my local sporting goods stores offers free fly casting lessons in the parking lot, plus a short sit-down inside as the instructor explained the various type of flies, lines, reels, and basic techniques and strategies. although you are welcome to come to central california for this, i suggest you may be able to find something similar in your area. but joining a fly club would work just as well.

eric
fresno, ca.

Date: February 24, 2014 07:02AM

Thanks for the suggestion Eric!

Thank You,

Chris Tulk

Posted by: Torin Koski (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: February 27, 2014 08:14PM

Chris,

A rod with only enough power to load with a 7 wt line at nominal distances (30-50ft) would be a little limiting in my opinion. If you're casting Bass flies tied on size 6 and smaller hooks, a 7 wt would be fine. But some of the larger wind resistant Bass Flies and Very Large Pike Flies would require a rod that load with an 8 wt or larger line. Are there a lot of weeds/structure for you to need a little more back-bone to pull a fish from? If so, I would step up to a 9 or 10 wt. A 9wt is my go-to pike rod. It's a nail biting experience trying to pull a 48in pike through a thick matted weed bed with a 7wt. Having said that, bare in mind that the fatigue factor typically increases when the larger flies and more powerful rods are used during a full day of casting.

I also prefer a Med Fast Action Rod for this, while a growing number of anglers are confiding in Faster Action Blanks. I find a Medium Action a little less authoritative than I like and occasionally miss out on hook-sets.

Posted by: Chris Tulk (184.151.190.---)
Date: February 27, 2014 08:40PM

Thanks Torin. I am actually going to go with an 8wt I believe. I think I am going to pick up a Rainshadow 9' 2pc mod fast action. I think anyway. Still researching and looking.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 28, 2014 09:42AM

Best thing is to have a rod in hand A few lessons you can find what you like Not all rods are what they are listed as

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster