I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tru Oil finish method
Posted by: Kevin Bergeron (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: February 01, 2014 10:59PM

I have been using Tru Oil for finish for the last few years with good to great results. I generally apply four coats with my finger without sanding between coats. Can I get better results with sanding between coats? If so, what do you guys use to sand before applying a new coat? Finally, do you guys use your fingers to apply and how many coats are applied till you reach your desired results? Thank you gentlemen.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tru Oil finish method
Posted by: Wes Motsinger (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: February 01, 2014 11:51PM

I use a paper towel to apply. and do 2 coats and no sanding. i like the look

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.direcway.com)
Date: February 02, 2014 12:57AM

I use small cosmetic sponge foam to apply. I sand between coats with 800 grit paper. I use a total of four coats--I like that look too.

Michael Blomme

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 02, 2014 07:45AM

Finger an "sand" with 0000 steel wool, prefer 4-5 coats for high gloss look.

Ray Zarychta
Glastonbury, CT

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2014 08:17AM

It all depends on what you are applying it to. I like it on corks and put a flood coat then wipe off the excess after a few minutes. It will bring out the grain and soak in while still leaving a cork feel. That is my preference as i don't like glossy cork. I think there are better finishes for woods, though tru oil will work fine.

Posted by: Scott Hovanec (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 02, 2014 09:14AM

If its on burl cork, I apply it with a paper towel while it turns on the lathe.....just enough to make the cork change color, then I take a dry paper towel and remove any excess. Its able to be handled and mounted immediately. If its for a reel seat insert. I apply with my finger while turning on th lathe. 4-6 coats with a light scuff between coats to remove any high spots or dust that might have landed. After the last coat, I polish up to 12k micromrsh and apply a coat of furniture polish.

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: February 02, 2014 09:54AM

I apply with a cloth sanding with 000 or 0000 between every 4 or so coats until all voids are filled. This depends on the material I am applying to. As little as 4 or so and as many as 15.

Posted by: Steve Hartzell (---.mid.suddenlink.net)
Date: February 02, 2014 01:42PM

Are there any pics on the photo site that shows how the Tru oil changes the color of the cork? Does it waterproof or protect the cork or is it mostly cosmetic?

Steve Hartzell
Lake Conroe - Willis, Texas

Posted by: Ralph Daigle (---.speed-burst.com)
Date: February 03, 2014 09:11AM

Light sanding between coats removes lint and minor blemishes and each coat will get smoother and smoother.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 03, 2014 09:56AM

for picks try these
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.usar.army.mil)
Date: February 03, 2014 05:07PM

[www.rodbuilding.org]

here is a 10-15 coat job

Posted by: Tim Demond (172.56.11.---)
Date: February 10, 2014 11:00PM

Is tru oil the best finish for cork? What other options are available? I am building a Tenn, handle and not crazy about how it looks. I am looking for a more finished look.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster