I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cutting down a blank
Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---.bvtn.or.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 29, 2013 05:16PM

By cutting down a blank from 6.6 down to 6ft to much of a change I will be cutting it down from the butt end of the nlank.

Glenn McMurrian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2013 05:48PM by Glenn McMurrian.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cutting down a blank
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 29, 2013 05:27PM

Maybe, it really depends on which end you trim from. A lot of change for sure if you trim from the tip end. Some change if you trim from the bottom end.

Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---.bvtn.or.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 29, 2013 05:52PM

I will be cutting it down from the butt end.

Glenn McMurrian

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 29, 2013 05:58PM

Why do you want to cut it ??

Bill - willierods.com

Date: December 29, 2013 06:20PM

The action will become slower and the resulting rod will be less powerful than it is now.

Date: December 29, 2013 06:27PM

Tom is correct Like he always is
You will take the Stiffer Part of the blank ( the butt ) off The flex of the tip will move down
If the blank is a Mod- fast tip it will then become ( more or less ) a Moderate the flex will go closer to the butt end

You can see if you like it Buy marking the blank where you want to cut the butt put several guides on and string it up Cast it See if you like it

Or
just get a blank you like

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2013 06:29PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 29, 2013 09:55PM

Be safe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2013 05:51PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Terry Kirk (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: December 29, 2013 11:01PM

I would ask the same thing Bill asked, why would one want to cut or lengthen a blank? With the CCS system and the multitude of quality blank manufacturers what is the purpose, I have yet to see a blank that can't be found for the application without altering the blank? From what I saw on the blank manufacturing processes, blanks are designed to be a certain thickness in different areas of the blank. If one starts cutting into those areas aren't you weakening the blank? Do manufacturers warranty these types of alterations, I am betting not? Do you advise your customers accordingly, what do you put on the rod if the customer wanted the manufacturer label on it?

Date: December 30, 2013 07:44AM

The action does change - it always becomes slower. Here's easy way to understand it. Say you have a fast action blank with the initial flex taking place in the upper 1/3rd of the blank's length. Now cut away the lower 2/3rds of the blank. Now the initial flex will take place in the entire blank length, making it a slow action blank.

Cutting a blank from either end always creates a slower action. There is no such thing as a "heavy action."

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 30, 2013 08:26AM

Terry;
At least one of the site's sponsors sells a line of blanks in which they advertise can be- "Can be built full length or custom trimmed to your specifications."

There are sometimes when specific needs require cutting blanks.

Posted by: jim spooner (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: December 30, 2013 10:00AM

Since most of the rods I use are less than 6’, it’s aggravating that most manufacturers don’t offer blanks shorter than 6 ½' length…..especially in higher powers. Fortunately I generally don’t like extra fast actions, so I don’t lose much in that regard. Voiding the warranty is an issue, but so far, not a problem. Also having to discard the cut-offs is money wasted….although on occasion I’ve been able to use them for blank extensions.
In regard to the power lost, ironically, the shorter rod will actually feel more powerful because of the mechanical advantage.

Date: December 30, 2013 10:10AM

I have a card board tube from a delivery that I put any scrap in Lay it in the corner under furniture hang from the celling ????

Bill - willierods.com

Date: December 30, 2013 10:16AM

I think the shorter rod blanks went by the wayside with the advent of "straight-thru" rod construction. In the days of pistol grips and other handles that fastened to the blank with a chuck or ferrule. there were plenty of 4'8" to 5'2" blanks around. Things have a way of coming back around every so often, however, so it's always possible they'll make another appearance.

Posted by: jim spooner (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: December 30, 2013 11:03AM

I also think part of the evolution was to go longer for casting distance and to facilitate techniques such as flipp’n/ pitching…….which also led to longer grips to allow two hand casting and recover some of the mechanical advantage….. and balance the tip-heavy rod.

I still have one of the old pistol grip (Fuji) handled rods (w/ferrule) that I’ve kept for sentimental reasons. It amazes me to pick it up and appreciate how much lighter modern-day rods are by comparison.

Posted by: Tim Demond (---.tmodns.net)
Date: January 03, 2014 09:22AM

Shorter blanks do have their place. I fish docks at LOZ. and a short rod with a pistol grip makes sense there. Some people like to hold their rod close to their body when fighting a fish, this is another application of a shorter handle and or rod. As a side note I found a very old steel rod with a pistol grip, pretty sure every vibration will transmit thu that rod.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster