I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

guide material
Posted by: andi robb (---.phnx.qwest.net)
Date: November 20, 2013 06:54PM

Hi guys quick one for you
I have a customer who needs a boat rod built where he will be using braid with fish up to 50lb.
What type of guide material would be best for this application? He really doesn't want to use any roller guides on this rod
Thanks for responses
Andi

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: guide material
Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: November 20, 2013 07:13PM

Hello Andi.

All the guide rings built these day's are fine for most any kind or size of line, if you are talking frames what you need to consider is the amount of abuse they will be subject too, I find that most 50# and up seem to endure a greater amount of abuse so I always use double foot guides.

Tight Wraps.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: November 20, 2013 07:26PM

Robert, Good advice!!

Posted by: andi robb (---.phnx.qwest.net)
Date: November 20, 2013 09:27PM

Thank you very much sir.
Just wanted to say thank you to all members of this forum as the advice and help here has made stepping up my rod building much easier.
Thanks all
Andi Robb

Posted by: Mark Gwynne (101.162.131.---)
Date: November 21, 2013 02:30AM

Either Fuji BMNAG or MNSG will be fine for this application. If you did go with the Alconites maybe a SIC tip should still be used.

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: November 21, 2013 12:24PM

In the Fuji lineup, you can also consider the "HB" and "HN" guide frames with the Silicon Nitride II rings. They are very durable guides.

BHBNG / HBNG in the "HB" heavy boat frames
BHNNG in the "HN" heavy N frames.
[anglersresource.net]

I'd also recommend you check over the American Tackle offerings, a couple good choices there too. I can't provide any direct links to American Tackle's website though, my browser doesn't like their website.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: November 21, 2013 05:21PM

just about all gudes will work it is just how much money you want to spend on the guides most of the highter end guides will last longer than the less expencive ones
an where it will be beat up a lot , American tackle is handled by a lot of our supporters but Mud Hole stocks a lot of them , there web site is great for a small user like me

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 21, 2013 05:34PM

Fish up to 50# isn't the important info. What pound test, what drag setting, and what kind of fish are more important. Big difference between a 50# grouper and a 50# wahoo.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 21, 2013 05:41PM

The heavy American tackle Vertis are nice I have tried the SIN FUji Very stiff frames Strong but no flex in them And As far as I know no Hard chrome that I think bring some Bling to the rod And more flexible

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster