I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Super Shallow Rodbuilding Bench
Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.btas.verizon.net)
Date: May 19, 2013 02:43PM

I would think you could put a shelf above and/or below the one your lathe is to be mounted on. So really, you only need enough room to accommodate the lathe on the shelf. everything else can go above or below.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: May 19, 2013 03:03PM

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Chester, you can see the framing in the above photo. This was a home being built by a local tract/semi-custom builder. Framing of the home was complete when we came into the process.

You'll see in the photo the long closet space. The original building plan called for that interior wall to be insulated, but the exterior surfaces to remain uninsulated. This was the plan for both closets on either side of the room. We asked that they insulate the exterior surfaces instead and dry finish the rooms so they could be used as flex space.

This will be a tight squeeze for sure, but I'm going to have to at least attempt to make it work.

Date: May 19, 2013 03:07PM

I'm thinking that too, Mr. Jim.

I should have pulled the tape yesterday to get the length (heck, I got the width measurement...I'm a nincompoop). My guess is that the room is 20+ feet in length. With a shelf over the work space, and with the extra space I'll have in sheer room length, I'm thinking it may be doable.

Date: May 19, 2013 03:10PM

I'm most likely going to put the bench on the right side of the room. My only electrical outlet is on the left, but I can work it out. With the roof line you see slanting on the right side I should be better off standing on the opposite side of the room.

Posted by: John Bumstead (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 19, 2013 03:16PM

Jay: The tables I use are 60" long by 18" deep. I have two of them end to end and attached by cabinet clamps that are mounted underneath and they pull each table together. This has worked for me for 20 plus years. John

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 19, 2013 03:35PM

i take it you are getting ready to move in after work is complete
You can - make it work It will probably drive you crazy ??
move a wall over to add room
add the two closets together
start making plans for a rod building addition to the house

You have probably thought of these But if you have a good following and get good money for your rods it may be a thought ??

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 19, 2013 04:45PM

Jay,
It would have been nice if the builder had put in a sliding door, (pocket door) that slides into the wall out of sight.

Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: May 19, 2013 08:58PM

I just hope your not claustrophobic.

Chester

May your line be tight and your beverages be cold!

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: May 19, 2013 11:09PM

LoL Chester.

Measured it this afternoon...21'8" long.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 20, 2013 08:06AM

Rogers rolling wrapper should work LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Robert Metzger (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 20, 2013 06:14PM

Jay - I use 2 benches 6'2" long x 16 1/2 " wide in my shop and find them plenty wide. The tops
are 1 1/8 " butcherblock with 3 - 19" x5 1/2" x 13" deep drawers under. There is a fixed shelf
on the bottom and a mid shelf you can position as desired. The entire bench is hardwood - no
pressboard, cardboard or plastic. These are from IKEA- Model is Norden occasional table
and sells for $ 199.00. I have 2 for rods and two in the cellar for work stations 1 for wood lathe
1 for band saw and grinder and sander. I have small drawer cabinets on the lower shelves
(also from IKEA ) that give me a total of 27 drawers 12" wide x 10" deep x 3" high and 39
4 1/4 x9 1/2 x 3 also all wood. Over the top of the bench I store blanks horizontally Over the years
it hasworked very well for me. E-mail me your address and I'll mail you some pictures.
Unless you have weight problem you should be fine. Good luck with it - Bob

Date: May 20, 2013 06:20PM

Bob,

Would you mind sending me pictures of your set-up, I'm also very interested is seeing set-ups that are compact yet very workable.

Thanks

Chester

Date: May 20, 2013 08:44PM

Thanks, Robert.

Click on my name right here ^ ...my email is there.

Date: May 20, 2013 10:54PM

Bob,

My email can be found by clicking on my name next to "Posted by:".

Chester

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: May 21, 2013 11:18AM

I had a pair of 18" wide bi-fold closet doors that I used as work benches in my old shop.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.lightspeed.bcvloh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 24, 2013 03:53PM

Think about making the bench high enough to build standing up. Keep the chair out of the way and it should work fine.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: John Samuels (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: May 25, 2013 10:50PM

Jay:
I think you oughta custom build the bench to maintain as much room in there as possible. But another option might be this: The woodworking benches sold at harbor freight are about 20" deep and made out of nice hard maple -like wood, easy and quick to assemble and have drawers. you could put two end for end for a full length bench and get eight drawers and shelf space to boot.
Good luck ...and a narrow rod building room is way better than no rod building room. you'll make it work.

Posted by: Doug Chadwick (---.sub-70-196-2.myvzw.com)
Date: May 27, 2013 03:52PM

My bench is a whopping 13" wide ,8' long tight space , I used upper cabnits for kitchens as pedastal and storage, and a rolling shop stool

Date: May 27, 2013 11:18PM

Thanks, Doug...and everyone else.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster