I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

RDR70M vs SPG???
Posted by: Mitch Leppelmeier (---.dsl.bcvloh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 18, 2013 08:00AM

looking for the Batson SPG Blank that most closley matches the RDR70M. I was thinking the SPG842 or SPG843. This will be used for trolling small cranks. Im hoping the SPG being all glass will show vibration in the tip a bit better the the RDR.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: RDR70M vs SPG???
Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: May 18, 2013 10:53AM

The SPG843 comes closer to the RDR70M, but the SPG842 has a much lighter tip, if that is what you are looking for.
The 843 does bend a little farthher into the blank than the RDR, with close to the same power.

SPG link;
[www.schneidersrods.com]

The RDR link;
[www.schneidersrods.com]

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 18, 2013 11:27AM

This is a good question. Flat lineing for inland lake walleye, some snap weight trolling and small inline boards the SPG844/ SPG845?
I have some 8.5" rods that a little much sometimes and looking for something cheap and shorter that can take a beating on the boat.

I have the SP721 and you can almost tie it in a knot it is so flexable.

Thoughts?

Date: May 18, 2013 04:16PM

The SPG blanks seem to be a well kept secret.
We've built on both the SPG844 and 845, they have a nice moderate action but with some backbone.
I like the 'turnover" wrap on trolling and live bait rods.
And yes, they are inexpensive and tough.
Here is a link;
[www.schneidersrods.com]

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Date: May 18, 2013 04:28PM

Ron,

Thanks for the reply! So for lack of better terms, does the SPG843 have more "wiggle" in the tip the the RDR. Im just worried that the SPG842 may nor have the power needed.

Mitch

Date: May 18, 2013 06:27PM

Yes, the SPG843 has a little more "wiggle" or "give" in the tip, and also bends a little farther into the blank.
If you need the power, then 843 is the way to go.
If you really want the tip to bend, then 842.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Date: May 22, 2013 06:06PM

I dont for say need to tip to bend, just be light enough to be able to read the vibrations of a smaller crankbait better the the RDR does. Sometime I do use snap weights to get a bit more depth on the lure so I dont want to give up to much power.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster