I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
ThreadMaster One questions
Posted by: jon edwards (---.lightspeed.wpbhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 29, 2013 05:35PM

So i ordered some Threadmaster one and i have a few questions before it gets here

this is only a one part finish and everywhere i read says its hard to remove bubbles so what is the best thing to use to apply it? brush? spatula?

is it good for use on a whole rod? or is it a repair only type deal? ill be using it on a rainshadow hs9000 blank for light saltwater flats fishing

is the dried product rubbery or hard?

is it like permagloss where when you open the bottle you need to hurry and use it or do some crazy stuff to stop it from hardening?

guess thats all the questions i have for now lol i cant find very much info on it besides a few posts with mixed reviews

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ThreadMaster One questions
Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: April 29, 2013 09:14PM

I ordered some and only used in once. It took days (like 4-5) before it was tack free. I've not used it since.

Chester

May your line be tight and your beverages be cold!

Date: April 30, 2013 07:26AM

wow 4-5 days to be tack free??? guess ill have to find some other use for it

Posted by: mike langevin (---.sub-174-236-97.myvzw.com)
Date: April 30, 2013 08:24AM

I tried and tried to apply it in a bubble free way but couldn't do it. Ended up stripping the rod and redoing with flex coat. I am only saying that I couldn't use this someone else may be able to.. I will follow this thread most closely... Btw I was using a brush to apply

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 30, 2013 09:29AM

I have tried it Not bad It dried well No bubbles and I used a brush ????

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: April 30, 2013 11:16AM

There are tricks to using it.
Thin coats are better than thick is biggest trick. A thin coat can dry in under an hour at 72f in moderate humidity.
I use a batch at 10~15% distilled water diluted for my first few coats.
It dries very fast and too thin for bubbles.
Do NOT stir or shake product.
Do NOT use heat on it.
The less you poke at it or mess with it and just allow gravity to work the better.
Great product when you learn how it works for you.
I use on lighter builds where i want something easier than PG but just enough to barely cover threads.

Date: April 30, 2013 11:16AM

There are tricks to using it.
Thin coats are better than thick is biggest trick. A thin coat can dry in under an hour at 72f in moderate humidity.
I use a batch at 10~15% distilled water diluted for my first few coats.
It dries very fast and too thin for bubbles.
Do NOT stir or shake product.
Do NOT use heat on it.
The less you poke at it or mess with it and just allow gravity to work the better.
Great product when you learn how it works for you.
I use on lighter builds where i want something easier than PG but just enough to barely cover threads.

Posted by: Scott D parsons (205.244.119.---)
Date: April 30, 2013 12:19PM

Jon,
Lou is right on, why Chester had it not dry for 4-5 days I have no idea. Thin multiple coats is best, because it does dry so fast you can do a whole rod with multiple thin coats faster then doing a rod with 2 part finish. If you do get bubbles you can blow them out with a thin straw or poke them with a toothpick or similar device. By using thin coats you should get a nice build up in 3 coats. The product dries very scuff resistant and flexable, it is not rock hard, but in the case of a rod you don't want rock hard.

Scott Parsons
919-900-8998
[www.roddancer.com]
[www.fishhawkthreads.com]

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 30, 2013 01:36PM

Hello Lou.

I have 1 question for you.

If you add water 10~15%, how do you mix it without "stirring or shaking" the product?

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: April 30, 2013 02:55PM

Robert ,
when i buy it i get a 1 oz container(seal-able is important) mix with 10~15 % distilled water ( i eyeball it with an eye dropper) go mix well and let it stand a few days to get it to where it has no bubbles. Mixing creates bubbles but if sealed they float out.
After initial thinning no more mix/stir/shake.
TM one and water does not separate out, so no need to mix again.
But if you have another technique that works for you, share it please, i will try it too.
Maybe it works better than mine.

Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: April 30, 2013 03:24PM

I can't really say why it didn't work, but to be fair I only tried it once. I might have been able to master (no pun intended) the technique with more time. I'm not sure if temperature played a part on not. It has been quite sometime since I tried it, I can't remember.

I certainly wasn't bashing the product, so I hope it wasn't taken that way.

Chester

May your line be tight and your beverages be cold!

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: April 30, 2013 05:06PM

I was sent a sample , and just tried it on a couple of test wraps the other day. It is very thick, about like a 2 part finish that you have mixed that is about at the end of its usability for putting on a rod. I applied one thin coat, and rotated it for 2 hours. It came out like one coat of Perma Gloss. Gave it a second thin coat and same results. Like two coats of PG. I don't like the thickness of this finish, but I am withholding my final decision until I have played with it for about a month or so. NEVER USE A NEW FINISH ON A ROD THAT YOU BUILD WITHOUT TESTING IT COMPLETELY ON NUMEROUS TEST WRAPS!!!!

Date: April 30, 2013 05:45PM

wow i just tried it now and so far i put on 2 coats of very thin and the second coat is already dry to the touch after about and hour or 2 and no bubbles so far but i can still feel the threads through it so maybe im going a tad too light? lol and i love that it cleans up with water

so far i like it but im not sure how well it holds up yet

im hoping this does good after some more testing cause this will be great for my flats rod to keep it as light as possible

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2013 06:31PM by jon edwards.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 30, 2013 11:30PM

Hello Lou.

Thanks Lou, I have not done a lot with TM1 including thinning it.
I was just asking how you thinned yours so I could give it a shot thinned, I did not like it thick.

Tight Wraps.
Thanks Again.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: May 01, 2013 07:54AM

The point of this finish to me is not to have something the same as say TM lite, its more like PG. I love PG and would us it on all my guides except for the fumes. Oh and getting it off if you have a repair can be an issue.
So as many coats as i need to where i have covered the threads its good for me.
Just for grins i did an open weave and used TM One on it, about 25~26 (i lost count)coats and still not absolutely filled and level. I kind of like the textured feel of it and will most likely keep it like it is.

Posted by: Scott D parsons (205.244.119.---)
Date: May 01, 2013 09:46AM

Thanks for the comments everyone. I will tell you what I do. I usually put on the first coat thin just enough to wet the thread, this pushes the air out of the wraps, after that you can start to apply it thicker, I squirt it right out of the bottle onto the wrap and use a brush to level it off at a relatively fast rotation speed. I can usually get a build up comparable to TM high build in 3 coats. Just my 2 cents. As stated above don't use it for the first time on your finished rod, do some testing with it and get comfortable.
Thanks
Scott

Scott Parsons
919-900-8998
[www.roddancer.com]
[www.fishhawkthreads.com]

Date: May 01, 2013 04:27PM

thats what i did but i did it after 3 coats lol i put it on thin but wow its reallllllly thin then i figured another thin one might be normalish but no very thin still so i made it pretty thick and it covered pretty nice..i should have done the thick one on second coat

by the way i didnt use a drier i rotated by hand for a few (78F in the room) a quarter turn every couple mins and it leveled perfectly without sags i even used the rod i did it on today (i had to replace just one guide last night and it held up all day although its still a bit rubbery but has only been on for 20 hours? or less i think

Posted by: Todd Theodore (---.fuse.net)
Date: May 01, 2013 05:36PM

I guess having a finish that doesn't rock harden completely allows it to be more flexible. But, doesn't it lend itself to more damage? Or, is it kind of like cork that will basically bounce back (so to speak) and re-fill an area that has been hit/gouged? Certainly goes against the traditional. Which doesn't bother me. But, do customers have a problem w/ it since their knowledge is of a rock hard finish?

Date: May 01, 2013 06:05PM

well i used it on a 30-50lb gatorglass blank today (conventional reel attached) and it was to put on the guide closest to the reel and i did some bottom fishing today and it didnt move around or come off or anything but....its only been drying about 21 or 22 hours or so at this time and if i try to move around the guide it flexes but returns to its proper spot...not sure if it will go rock hard or stay like this but ill check again in a couple days to see how it is

haha i just wanted to wrap the guide real quick so i could use the rod today but after a few days ill check to see how its hardened and then ill be stripping all the guides off and rewrapping them anyway so it didnt bother me if it came loose or so today

Posted by: mike langevin (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 01, 2013 07:40PM

I just want to say I was not bashing this stuff either. Yeah I know I should have tested it but I get antsy in the pantsy and had to try it. This was a 20-40lb rod with double over wrap guides. It took me six thin coats to cover the thread. I know I did something wrong but not sure where it went wrong. I think this is the future of coating

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster