I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Titanium Minima Guides are Here!
Posted by: Geoff Staples (---.olypen.com)
Date: April 29, 2013 03:19PM

We are happy to announce the release of our new solid titanium framed Minima guides. They are now available in T, M, and F frames. Please see the front page of fishpacbay.com for a link to specs and list prices. We hope you will enjoy these new Minimas. Happy building!

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Titanium Minima Guides are Here!
Posted by: Ken Finch (204.45.65.---)
Date: April 29, 2013 05:34PM

How much lighter can they get? They weigh nothing now, so I'm guessing these weigh half of nothing?

Seriously I'll be looking forward to try some not so much for weight savings but for light saltwater use. Keep the good stuff coming!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 29, 2013 05:44PM

Are they the 4's or the 3's on the ring

Do they bend ( Easyily ) Fuji's are said to be better ??

Bill - willierods.com

Date: April 29, 2013 06:12PM

Bill,
Its hard to comment on "easily" because it is a bit subjective. In our tests we found that they did bend easier than SS304 (Ti is typically softer depending on the alloy) but the measurable work hardening was almost identical to SS304. I believe the Fujis are alloyed Ti, but I don't know which alloy in particular and I don't think Fuji is telling.

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.tmodns.net)
Date: April 29, 2013 06:38PM

Handled a set of each in the M frame at Lamiglas last month, easily decernible weight difference and they appearred to me the be identical as far as structural integrity. He also has a new spinning reelseat in 18mm with a hump in the back similar to the aero with a variety of different insert styles that looked very cool.

Posted by: Torin Koski (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: April 29, 2013 08:35PM

Spencer,

How does the chrome ring to titanium frame interaction hold up with regards to corrosion?

Posted by: Steve Dyczkiewycz (---.50.28.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: April 29, 2013 09:13PM

Hi Geoff,

Any plans to offer S frames?

Thanks,
Steve

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.static.rvsd.ca.charter.com)
Date: April 29, 2013 11:09PM

Pretty WOW. The regular Minima are already among the lightest guides - wondering how much lighter these are.

Anyways, a few quick questions:

1. Why hard chrome rings and not the harder TiCH plated rings?
2. Your rings are very thin (hence, lightweight) so a size 4 is about the same inner diameter than a more traditional (SIC or Oxide) size 5. Any chance you would make smaller micros in size 3 or so?
3. Are you sure your size 4 micro weight is correct? it is higher than the micro size 5 and the regular 4L - both of which should weigh more.
4. I'm looking at the weight and I have the original weights but in the size 4, the original steel are lighter than the titaniums in the same size. Is there a reason for this?

Very glad to see the titanium Minimas!

Mo

Date: April 30, 2013 01:22PM

Hi Mo,
I'll try to answer your questions below in the order asked.

1. Why hard chrome rings and not the harder TiCH plated rings? A: The performance difference is negligible and the cost difference is vast. Hard Chrome is our work horse and best seller by far due to it's combination of performance and price.

2. Your rings are very thin (hence, lightweight) so a size 4 is about the same inner diameter than a more traditional (SIC or Oxide) size 5. Any chance you would make smaller micros in size 3 or so? A: No plans at this time to go smaller. We have found that the swaging process becomes less than consistent when sizes get that small.

3. Are you sure your size 4 micro weight is correct? it is higher than the micro size 5 and the regular 4L - both of which should weigh more.
A: I'm assuming we are talking about the M frame. The spec sheet on our website shows the 04 at 0.142g which is more than the 04L (04 has more material in the taller frame) at 0.108 and less than the 05 at 0.192g. Am I missing something here?

4. I'm looking at the weight and I have the original weights but in the size 4, the original steel are lighter than the titaniums in the same size. Is there a reason for this? A: I did re weigh the small sizes and updated the spec sheet on the website for the ceramic ring frames (there were some slight corrections to the weights.) I also confirmed that the weights were correct on the Ti Minima spec sheet. You may notice that there are still some inconsistencies when you compare size to size in the small guide range. This could possibly be because the ceramics that small become lighter than the SS304 in the Minima ring. Or, it may be due to the tolerance of our scale, which can fluctuate .010g or more if a breeze hits it, meaning it is so sensitive that it won't hold a constant zero. Either way, if our fancy scale can't pin down ten thousandths of a gram I don't thing the angler will be able to either.

I hope this helps. Take care.

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.tmodns.net)
Date: April 30, 2013 04:04PM

Torin,
Google "Nobility charts of common metals" on it you will see the metals you asked about. The higher and closer the metals are to each other, the less they react to each other. The further the spread the more they will react to each other.
Short answer no problems, they are so new I don't think many of us has a history with the guides yet.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster