I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Blank similar to Five Rivers FT (Dan Craft)
Posted by: Michael Kelle (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: February 05, 2013 08:11PM

Hello,
I am looking for a blank similar to the Five Rivers FT 9ft 4weight fly blank from Dan Craft. I have built a fine spinning rod out of it. It was a great rod for spinners, jigs and small crankbaits in the 1/16 to ¼ range. Unfortunately I lost the tip section in the deep norwegian woods while hiking back from a remote lake. I am now trying quite a while to get a replacment tip without sucess. Now I even get no longer any response to my inquiries, so I have to built a new one. But for sure from a different, bigger company who will hopefully have a better customer service and spare part managment.
But I really liked the stiff, special tip action of that blank. So hopefully someone has a recommendation of one which is similar to the Five Rivers FT 9ft 4 weight.

Thanks
Michael

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank similar to Five Rivers FT (Dan Craft)
Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 06, 2013 09:53AM

I've never tried them side by side, but you might look at the Batson RX8.

Posted by: rick sodke (---.vc.shawcable.net)
Date: February 06, 2013 10:19AM

The FT is pretty unique. I have a 9' 4wt tied up as a fly rod and hate it for the ridiculously fast action. ERN: 7-8, AA: 75-80
I imagine it would make a much better spinning rod, though a fairly expensive one.
Sage TCX/TCR are very fast action but are even more expensive.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 06, 2013 10:30AM

Rick

Try a heaver line on it Maybe a 6 will load it better
It's all about weight You may be able to get longer casts fron the 4 ??The more line past the tip the more weight to load the blank heaver line will give you shorter casts

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: rick sodke (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: February 06, 2013 12:37PM

Thanks Bill. I tried it with a 6 wt and it still feels like a 2x4 while casting. I only use it as a trolling rod now - nice sensitive tip and lots of backbone for hooksets with lots of heavy sink line out. .

Date: February 06, 2013 04:37PM

Usally the line weight 4 is placed over 16 to give a fraction Reduced giving a lure weight Which would be
4/16 2/8 = 1/4 oz For a spin rod 6 wt would be 3/8 th lure Seems this is well underrated

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 06, 2013 05:16PM

The problem with that equation is that it assumes that any fly rod with any specific line weight rating possesses a specific power. In reality, you can have a dozen "4-weight" rods that each possess a different power, so not all will load or cast equally well with a 1/4 ounce lure, just as they won't all load and cast equally well with 30 feet of #4 line.

Date: February 06, 2013 05:31PM

it is said to get one in the ball park - But to hit a home run ???
That blank sounded like it was or is a very high powered blank yet under rated Since it is rated as a 4 wt yet does not seem to be able to load with a 6 wt line ??

Then again I do not have it ( in hand )

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2013 05:32PM by bill boettcher.

Date: February 06, 2013 06:16PM

A 6-weight line and a 4-weight line weigh the same thing at some respective distance.

Posted by: rick sodke (---.pmc-sierra.bc.ca)
Date: February 06, 2013 06:48PM

Only if that distance is 90 feet or less.

Date: February 06, 2013 06:54PM

That's my point. Any rod will cast either line, at some distance. The physical weight of the line changes as you move more or less of it beyond the tip of the rod.

Date: February 06, 2013 08:49PM

Strip it down and make it a spinning rod

Get a fare power 3 wt and use it as a 4 wt

Then again how fare do you want to cast - what line -

if this is a 9' 4 wt fly rod -- It seems to be a lot stiffer and needs a heaver line
if he is casting a 4 wt line 30 - 50 ft from the tip OR short casts sounds like he wants a -- Mod- fst blank ???
This one is to stiff for the line

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: rick sodke (---.vc.shawcable.net)
Date: February 07, 2013 09:43AM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's my point. Any rod will cast either line, at
> some distance. The physical weight of the line
> changes as you move more or less of it beyond the
> tip of the rod.
>
> ............

So if I took a 2x4 piece of lumber, strapped some guides to it and attached a reel with 4wt line you would be able to cast it?
If by some miracle you were able to aerialize 90 feet of line it still wouldn't load the rod and once you reach backing it won't load the rod any more.
My statement about the DC FT is that it is a poor example of a 4wt rod at any casting distance.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: February 07, 2013 10:21AM

Michael,
Hi.
The Ft's were one of the first blanks I started to build on.

They can be sweet - I liked the #7 as a #9 fly rod.
Never "wiggled" the #4 so maybe I can't be too helpful.

Except that CTS' #7 Affinity-X is VERY similar to the FT #7 - they can both handle a #9 line well.

While that relationshp may not translate down the line from #7 to #4 - they might.
Also, one of my customers (I am the U.S. Distributer for CTS Fly Rods) had CTS build him a custom 8'9" #3, 4pc fly rod.
I was very impressed with the action - it would make a very nice spinning rod for very light lures.

It could be made in a #4, of course.

I would be glad to work with you if you wish. I am in the auto shop now waiting for my car to be serviced so I do not have any price records with me. The FT's are not cheap - so I assume the pricing would be similar.

hnlcustomflyrods@gmail.com

Date: February 07, 2013 11:11AM

If you had a heavy enough line, yes the 2x4 would cast it. But that's a red herring argument. I try to stay within practical parameters here.

The Dan Craft rod you describe will cast a 4-weight line nicely, but it's a very powerful rod meant to carry a lot of 4-weight line beyond the tip.

Posted by: rick sodke (---.pmc-sierra.bc.ca)
Date: February 07, 2013 12:57PM

Let's agree to disagree then.
I would go so far to say that this may be the worst example of a 4wt fly rod - it is certainly the worst I have ever casted.
You are most certainly a better caster than I, and although I can readily aerialize 75 feet of 4wt WF line using several different fly rods (ERN < 5.2), I find that I cannot load the FT in order to even get this much line out without significant effort.
Given this, I would define any rod blank that a majority of fly casters cannot load with the designated line as NOT a nice casting 4wt.

Date: February 07, 2013 01:39PM

I wasn't aware that the majority of fly casters had weighed in on whether or not they can or can't easily cast that rod with a 4-weight line. Perhaps there was a poll I'm not aware of.

I understand that you can't and that's what matters to you. Thus, I certainly understand your personal reasons for not recommending it as a 4-weight rod.

Posted by: rick sodke (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: February 07, 2013 04:06PM

Fair enough. Interestingly your opinion is worth exactly the same as mine in this poll.
Enjoy your FT.

Date: February 07, 2013 05:23PM

Check out the numbers on his post
It is and seems to be a x-fast 7 - 8 wt blank Labeled as a 4 wt

Please with numbers like that yea I know any rod will cast any line
But
Nicely --- That is why it is nice as a spinning rod
What happened to the ( a rod should be rated at 30 feet past the tip ) thing

Bill - willierods.com

Date: February 07, 2013 07:45PM

I didn't state that a majority of fly fishermen could or could not cast the rod with the rated line.

If you search the archives here you'll find that the Dan Craft blanks do have a legion of fans who feel they are extraordinary at casting the rated lines.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster