I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

6 or1 8 RPM dryer motor
Posted by: Pat Connor (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: February 05, 2013 08:44PM

Need advice going to purchase a 4 rod dryer and cant decide on 6 or 18 there is no price difference.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 6 or1 8 RPM dryer motor
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: February 05, 2013 09:09PM

My theory is ... heavier finishes = slower speed, lighter finishes = higher speed. Although you won't go wrong with either. I have a Flexcoat (the ONLY dryer I would own) wall mount quad dryer at 18rpm and absolutely love it. It is a lifetime product, period.

Posted by: Pat Connor (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: February 05, 2013 09:45PM

That is the model I am looking at but I will put in a heated box ..

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 06, 2013 12:16AM

Pat,
Some folks have issues with an 18 rpm dryer if the finish is thin causing football formation.
No issue with that with the 6 rpm dryer.

But, your choice.

Roger

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 06, 2013 07:32AM

The faster will help to get it all coated quicker and with streighter lines on the edges
To me that 18 is slow

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: February 06, 2013 07:51AM

Will you be applying finish to a rod mounted to a dryer in the box or will you apply it outside the box and transfer to a dryer in the box?

I like a variable speed fast device for application with both hand and foot control of speed and direction, and a slower constant speed device once it is in the box.

I think many people prefer the 18rpm if you're going to use one device for both applying and setting up the finish as it's speed is in the middle.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: February 06, 2013 08:08AM

The OP was asking about drying/curing not about application.

I think an 18 rpm motor will football only if you have too much epoxy on the wraps. If you have the proper amount, it shouldn't football.

Either motor should work equally as well in my opinion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2013 08:09AM by Jay Lancaster.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 06, 2013 08:26AM

Put the finish on
check it If it starts to Hang on the bottom of the wraps Stop the turner Wick any drips off Then Do a 180 2-3 times start it up Just too much finish

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: February 06, 2013 09:57AM

I have two single dryers. One is an 18 rpm and the other is a 36. Niether one has ever caused the finish to football with light build or high build.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster