I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

100yds. pro wrap
Posted by: barry batchelor (---.tmodns.net)
Date: December 12, 2012 11:29AM

Its seems alot of us are commenting on how our spools of pro wrap runs out much quicker than we anticipated. Wonder why this? Im not in the mood to roll a spool down the road and measure it. Maybe a batch was released from the factory without their spooling machine being calibrated. Just makes ya wonder. Im not knocking the product. I love Pro Wrap

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 100yds. pro wrap
Posted by: James Newsome (---.244.204.207.client.dyn.strong-sf33.reliablehosting.com)
Date: December 12, 2012 11:54AM

barry batchelor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Its seems alot of us are commenting on how our
> spools of pro wrap runs out much quicker than we
> anticipated. Wonder why this? Im not in the mood
> to roll a spool down the road and measure it.
> Maybe a batch was released from the factory
> without their spooling machine being calibrated.
> Just makes ya wonder. Im not knocking the product.
> I love Pro Wrap

A lot of us? Yours is the first comment I have heard about this. Out of curiousity I just donated a fresh spool of PW by unrolling it. Tied one end to a tree and then spun it off and measured with a roll tape. I came up with 103 yards.

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.lightspeed.nworla.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 12, 2012 11:57AM

I've yet to hear of any comments on how fast a spool of thread runs out. I'm sure if it states on the spool it's 100 yards. Do a test wrap of about 6" long then unravel it and measure how long it is. You' d be surprised at how much thread you used. Add in all of your guide wraps, a decorative wrap and any other trim wraps and a 100 yard spool will run out pretty quick.

Posted by: Scott Hovanec (---.sub-70-199-107.myvzw.com)
Date: December 12, 2012 03:49PM

I never gave much thought about it. I typically wrap 2 rods with a spool and put it away for possible repairs on those 2 rods. I don't want to be half way through a rod and have to switch spools and risk different dye lots.

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 12, 2012 04:36PM

You guys worry about the wrong things. Having your home blown/floated away is a real worry.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 12, 2012 04:36PM

easy fix

just get two or three spools of the same thread

Or
A larger spool instead of the 100 yd

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 12, 2012 06:14PM

Until you are in the mood to roll a spool down the road and measure it, it's not really fair to insinuate that you or anyone else is being shorted on the yardage. These are the type posts that could use a little more fact and a lot less assumption. This is how unfounded rumors get started.

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 12, 2012 07:05PM

I solved that issue by buying 950 yd spools!

Rog

Posted by: Jerry Cook (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: December 12, 2012 09:00PM

I'm with you on that Roger. A 950 yd spool doesn't cost that much more than a 100 yd spool and if it is a thread color you use a lot of, it makes sense to buy the larger spool.

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: December 13, 2012 10:36AM

I use mostly Pro-Wrap at this point and the spools are like Gudebrod spools. A 100 yard spool will do several rods. What I have started doing, for rods that I build for others, is to include the leftover spool with the rod, so the person getting it has thread for repairs. In the scheme of things, a 100 yard spool is a trivial expense.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 13, 2012 10:37AM

Ya may just save a little money with the 950 spools also

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster