I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pro kote and flex coat light questions
Posted by: mike langevin (---.sub-174-255-116.myvzw.com)
Date: December 12, 2012 12:32PM

Hi all I recently bought pro kote finish and tried it for the first time. I love everything about it except it didn't dry very hard. I can push my thumb nail into wrap and it makes a scrape or dent. I read reviews that pro kote dries " soft" but I can't really figure out what may be human error or the product itself. Is this normal for this product or did I goof?

Second question. I was at my local shop and saw that the flex coat light is now labeled as more uv resistant. I guess that means it won't turn yellow? Or turn yellow so quickly? Not sure.. But if it does resist yellowing how much better is it compared to the old flex coat light? Much better? A little better? Anybody with info it is greatly appreciated

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pro kote and flex coat light questions
Posted by: barry batchelor (---.tmodns.net)
Date: December 12, 2012 02:14PM

I use the Flex Coat ultra V which is advertised to more uv resistant and really like it. Ive got rods that I built years ago with the origanal Flex Coat formula and have'nt noticed any yellowing. In my opinion they are both excellent products. I guess the ultra v is more piece of mind for me.
Barry

Posted by: mike langevin (---.sub-174-255-116.myvzw.com)
Date: December 12, 2012 04:29PM

Well I don't know why but I had a very different experience with what I assume is the original formula flex coat light that was not indicated to be more uv resistant. Many of the rods built with silver under wraps look terrible as the finish has turned an amber color. It also turned very quickly like two or three days in the sun.
I enjoy the application of both pro kote and flex coat light but I don't want a weak epoxy or one that turns yellow. Argh!!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 12, 2012 04:33PM

None of them are weak and all of them turn yellow sooner or later. That's just the way it is with epoxy.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 13, 2012 08:20AM

Pro Kote takes longer to reach complete cure. This is especially true if it is applied in one thick coating.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2012 08:21AM by Ken Preston.

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 13, 2012 09:22AM

Mike,
the ProKote also applies and cures best at room temperatures 72 degrees and higher. I apply it regularly in the evening and fish the rod the following day with no issues.

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: mike langevin (---.sub-174-252-80.myvzw.com)
Date: December 13, 2012 07:28PM

Thanks everybody!
Todd when pro kote is fully cured should I be able to push my nail into it? Yeah my basement is like 60 degrees at best maybe that's the problem!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster