I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
EVA Glue Up Challenge
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 12, 2012 08:48AM

I am not familiar with adhesives, I use Contact Cement because Bernie Cohen used it. When it dries, it doesn't leave a hard seam. I would like to find another adhesive - where you can cut all the pieces up, put glue everywhere, clamp it up overnight and come back next AM and the inlay is all glued up.
What I would like people to do for this challenge is use whatever adhesive you have to glue up a few EVA inlays (simple trim rings that are 1/4" thick). Silicone caulk, poyurethane wood glues, gorilla glue - WHATEVER you have laying around. PLease post what you used, how well the glue seam held up (try pulling it apart), and how hard the seam was when you press/squeeze it, how flexible the grip is when you flex/bend it.
For grip inlays that I hold the foregrip, I need teh glue to not leave that hard seam. BUT, for grips that do not get touched (back grips, show rods), I might want to make a few show rods with hundreds of pieces, where I do not want to wait 50 hours to glue it up.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: EVA Glue Up Challenge
Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 12, 2012 11:32AM

Hi Billy,

I am sure there are products out there. My concern is that such and adhesive, fast, soft and no residue, would be like Permaglos is to 2 part expoxy finish. The smell from the curing process would be toxic as all @#$%&, a killer.

I hope good comes from this.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: bobby stout (---.redriver.army.mil)
Date: December 12, 2012 11:59AM

Billy you still on hold on shipping EVA blocks.

Bobby Stout
Bloomburg, TX

Date: December 12, 2012 02:15PM

I am not able to ship anythign until my shop is rebuilt, I do not have a place to put my inventory, everything is in plastic bags in 4 people's houses, I have stuff outside underneath my neighbors patio deck - I can't go through all the bags to find what's what, then rebag everything. That is the problem I have. Not to mention with th eEVA blocks, I have to wash each of them individually in soap/water/pressure wash because they are CAKED in dried muck. I have at least 1,000 blocks to clean, each one will take about 1 minute. 1000 minutes = 17 hours. EVA clleaning party at my shop in February!!! Who wants to come. It'll only be 15 degrees outside! lmao

Posted by: bobby stout (---.redriver.army.mil)
Date: December 12, 2012 03:59PM

Billy would like to come help but i am cold weather intolerant lol. Down here in east texas gets that cold we are froze in and cannot go anywhere.

Bobby Stout
Bloomburg, TX

Posted by: Bill Ballou (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: December 12, 2012 06:08PM

Be there in a N.Y. minute. BTW I think the elephant had some extra adhesive. LMAO

Posted by: Brandon Gay (---.rsvlcmta01.rlvlar.lr.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: December 12, 2012 06:31PM

If someone has any Fusion polyurathane glue give it a try. I can't find my bottle, but have used it to glue cork to plastic before with great results. It's clear and super strong. The cork gave before the joint failed. If I find my bottle I test it.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: December 12, 2012 07:03PM

I second Brandon's suggestion of Liquid Fusion. Clear, urethane, and flexible but incredibly strong.

Posted by: mark crouse (---.direcpc.com)
Date: December 12, 2012 08:27PM

Hi Billy
Try spray Textille glue, they use it on clothing it does not leave a hard seam and holds up in the wash machine and dryer.
Best Regards Mark.

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 12, 2012 08:33PM

Has anyone tried "Sticky Ass Glue"?

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: brad mcdonald (---.jwh.com.au)
Date: December 12, 2012 08:45PM

liquid fusion - i just found a local supplier in Perth, i'll give this one a try!

Date: December 12, 2012 09:25PM

MArk, somethign like this? [www.ilovetocreate.com]

Posted by: Brandon Gay (---.rsvlcmta01.rlvlar.lr.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: December 12, 2012 11:00PM

This is the stiff I used. It is super tough and clear.

[www.stuff4crafts.com]

Posted by: mark crouse (---.direcpc.com)
Date: December 14, 2012 05:36PM

Hi Billy
i do not remember the name, go to a fabric store, like JoAnns Fabric they have it.
Mark

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: December 14, 2012 08:56PM

I tried Liquid Fusion while adding a craft foam trim piece to the end of an EVA grip and it did not hold. I let it dry, put it on the lathe to sand it even with the grip and it just came off. It didn't even have time to heat up, just basically came unglued.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: December 15, 2012 07:56AM

DAvid thank you for trying that out! Geez, it's looking like Contact cement might be the ONLY adhesive that works! Not what I was hoping for. GOnna try the textile glue and some PVC glue next.

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: December 15, 2012 09:40AM

billy, have you tried any of the liquid nails products? it would be great to find something that works that allows movement of the pieces to better align them unlike contact cement. i am sure there is something out there that will work. we just have to find it

Date: December 15, 2012 10:29AM

There has to be something else that would work. I agree with John, maybe try liquid nails. I have some other glue and will try it when I can and post the results here.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: December 16, 2012 11:56PM

I tried some glue called Quik Grip and it seems to hold fine. It is in a small tube and works similar to contact cement but not quite as messy. i found if at Hobby Lobby.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: December 17, 2012 06:19AM

DAvid, can you sand down the test that you made to make sure it holds up to heat & sandpaper? Some of the other adhesives seemed OK until they were turned on the lathe.

[www.beaconadhesives.com]

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster