I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Common cents ?
Posted by: Casey Abell (205.145.107.---)
Date: November 14, 2012 10:25AM

So im trying to use the common cents method to measure the power etc of a rod blank I reall like. When trying to measure the power I came up with over 300 Cents needed to pull enough to create the needed tip angle.

I then went to the rosetta stone chart but it does not go up high enough. Any thoughts ????

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Common cents ?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 14, 2012 10:31AM

There was an expanded chart in a later magazine. Off the top of my head 300 cents should equate to about an ERN of 25. I'll check a little closer this afternoon when I have time.

I assume when you say "tip angle" you actually mean "deflection?"

Date: November 14, 2012 10:44AM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There was an expanded chart in a later magazine.
> Off the top of my head 300 cents should equate to
> about an ERN of 25. I'll check a little closer
> this afternoon when I have time.
>
> I assume when you say "tip angle" you actually
> mean "deflection?"
>
> ......................

Yeah sorry... still learning terminology...

Date: November 14, 2012 10:45AM

and sorry it was 365 cents...

Rod is an older conolon, 9 foot, medium action, fast taper

thanks

Posted by: rick sodke (---.pmc-sierra.bc.ca)
Date: November 14, 2012 08:11PM

Something sounds wrong there. Most medium action rods I have measured are in the ERN=10 to 14 range.
Are you deflecting by 1/3 or deflecting to 1/3 of the length?

Date: November 14, 2012 08:22PM

Action and power are two entirely different things. Action is where the rod initially flexes, power is well, power.

Remember, both ultra-light and 130lb class offshore trolling rods can both possess a medium action.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2012 08:25PM by Tom Kirkman.

Date: November 14, 2012 08:24PM

Your ERN is just over 28.

Posted by: Casey Abell (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: November 14, 2012 08:33PM

rick sodke Wrote:
> Something sounds wrong there. Most medium action
> rods I have measured are in the ERN=10 to 14
> range.
> Are you deflecting by 1/3 or deflecting to 1/3 of
> the length?

Sorry I should have said medium power fast taper

Posted by: Casey Abell (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: November 14, 2012 08:35PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
> Your ERN is just over 28.
>
> .............
thanks

Ill try to get to the rest of the measurements soon

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 14, 2012 08:47PM

Duplicate

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2012 08:50PM by Russell Brunt.

Date: November 14, 2012 09:39PM

"Medium Power, Fast Taper" doesn't really mean anything - it's subjective according to the specific manufacturer. The best you can draw from that is that it's a fast action (fast taper) rod. There is no rating, chart or scale for what "Medium Power" is.

Posted by: Geoff Staples (---.olypen.com)
Date: November 15, 2012 11:04AM

Hi Casey,
The conversion to ERN, in my opinion, is intended to more easily correlate the power of a fly rod with a specific fly line weight. We just choose to publish intrinsic power (aka ERN) as the weight in grams required to deflect the blank or rod tip a distance equal to 1/3 the total length of the blank or rod. This would only be for non-fly blanks. I have noticed that at least on other blank provider has also done the same. Just for reference: a penny weighs approximately 2.5 grams. Hope this helps.

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Date: November 15, 2012 01:05PM

Fly line weight changes as you move more or less of it past the tip. In other words, a fly rod with an ERN of say, 5.5, is not necessarily supposed to be lined with a #5 line under the CCS. Just in case anyone might be confused over this discussion of ERN.

Likewise I occasionally get an email from someone that thinks the amount of weight required to obtain the required measurement deflection is the amount of weight a rod will cast. Not even close. In fact, if you attempt to cast the amount of weight needed for the measurement deflection, you'll most likely destroy the rod.

Date: November 15, 2012 01:53PM

wow.... im beyond confused now lol

Posted by: Russell Brunt (165.214.14.---)
Date: November 15, 2012 03:03PM

Don't be Casey. The common cents system was first applied to fly rods. With a fly rod you cast the line. The more line you are casting, the more the line weighs, and the stronger rod you need. So a lousy caster would need a lighter power rod than a great caster (assuming they are all using the same weight fly line).

Now with a regular rod a 1/2 ounce sinker weighs the same no matter how far you cast it.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: November 15, 2012 03:09PM

Okay, so I guess what im not understanding is how the common cents method is going to help me. If I do complete all the measurements and get a baseline for the rod which I like, how would I then compare this data to a modern mfg.

From what I have been reading the ratings between rods vary depending on mfg and the intended purpose of the rod. So my medium power surf rod would be different than a medium power steelhead rod.

All im after is a way to quickly figure out if a blank from a modern mfg will resemble the power and action of the old rod which I have.

Posted by: Chad Huderle (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: November 15, 2012 03:50PM

Casey, all the CCS is designed to do is give you a couple objective measurements. Action angle and ERN. A bathroom scale will tell you how much something weighs but not whether something is heavy or light.

If an action angle is taken for two different rods, you'll know which one is faster because it'll have a higher AA. Same with ERN, one rod will be more powerful than the other.

The only problem at this point is that only a few manufacturers are posting these measurements. You have to have the actual blank in order to measure it or find someone who's already measured that blank. Builders used to be able to post their measurements in an online database that was available but I haven't seen it for awhile. I know that's not the answer you are hoping for but that's the way it is right now.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Date: November 15, 2012 04:01PM

Chad Huderle Wrote:
> Casey, all the CCS is designed to do is give you a
> couple objective measurements. Action angle and
> ERN. A bathroom scale will tell you how much
> something weighs but not whether something is
> heavy or light.
>
> If an action angle is taken for two different
> rods, you'll know which one is faster because
> it'll have a higher AA. Same with ERN, one rod
> will be more powerful than the other.
>
> The only problem at this point is that only a few
> manufacturers are posting these measurements. You
> have to have the actual blank in order to measure
> it or find someone who's already measured that
> blank. Builders used to be able to post their
> measurements in an online database that was
> available but I haven't seen it for awhile. I know
> that's not the answer you are hoping for but
> that's the way it is right now.

Yeah, its not the answer I was hoping for but sums up with I was thinking. Im thinking that the ccs method probably wont get me where I want to go. I think I will still complete the measurements just as a learning tool but may also do what someone else suggested. Ill just measure the butt, tip and get an approx weight. Then shop for something of similar material and measurements. It may not be the exact science im looking for but may get me closer.

or I may just be spinning my wheels... lol

thanks

Posted by: Chad Huderle (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: November 15, 2012 04:11PM

It's kind of a bummer but if you measure every blank that you're able to, pretty soon you'll have a good selection to pick from when this situation arises again some day.

I've built on a number of the Batson blanks. If you're able to shoot me the AA, ERN and rod length you're looking for I may be able to recommend one of their blanks that is similar.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Date: November 15, 2012 04:19PM

The more of the CCS numbers that match, the closer any two rods will be to each other.

Perhaps the least used but among the most helpful aspects of the CCS is the frequency measurement (CCF). Even two rods with identical ERN and AA figures can still "feel" very different, and have very different response and recovery times (rod speed) if they are made from different materials. However, when the ERN, AA and CCF match, you will have two rods that also "feel" similar and have similar reaction and response times.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster