I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Unsanded blank
Posted by: Brian DeKorne (---.feather.net)
Date: September 19, 2012 08:11PM

I am in the process of wrapping an unsanded blank, and I am having some trouble. It is difficult to get the thread exactly where I want it. I am kinda picky about my thread wraps looking uniform, and the ridges make it tough. Is there anyone out there that could offer some suggestions?

Brian

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Unsanded blank
Posted by: John Martines (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: September 19, 2012 08:46PM

I just was messing with one as well and while this is a pain in neck I layed out where the wraps are going and put a thin coat of finish on the blank in those areas. It smoothed it out so wrapping was easy. Not the best way but it worked for me!!

Posted by: Mike Adams (---.dhcp.mdfd.or.charter.com)
Date: September 20, 2012 12:47AM

Brian and John, what do you think of the unsanded look? I have an opportunity to buy some but wasn't sure of the looks.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse5.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: September 20, 2012 02:37AM

Hi Mike,
I've built a few of those and they can be difficult as the thread wants to follow the spirals and the burnishing tool gets a real work out. Some guys like the look and some don't. If the blank you want only comes in unsanded then you haven't got a great choice. You could also give them a coat of permagloss or clears to smooth them out but that may not suit. I find that it just takes a bit more time and effort to build on them.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 20, 2012 10:12AM

take it outside and sand it with some 220 wet with water then go over it with some 600 paper
Just make it smooth enough to wrap Does not need a coating but if you want a coat of permagloss or lumiseal

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Brian DeKorne (---.feather.net)
Date: September 20, 2012 11:11AM

Mike, I really like the look of the blank, but it does add some frustration to the build. I finished wrapping the rod last night, and I had to re-wrap a few guides to make it look right. I guess in the end, everything is personal preference!

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 20, 2012 02:57PM

Another option, is to sand smooth a narrow band where the guides are to be finally placed.

Posted by: Mike Adams (---.dhcp.mdfd.or.charter.com)
Date: September 20, 2012 04:09PM

Col and Brian, thanks for the feedback.

Mike

Posted by: John Martines (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: September 20, 2012 04:18PM

I like the look it's ok. The blank I have is has had the cello removed ,I have built some that they leave it on like a Ugly stick and don't like that look. This blank is also been buffed and coated with clear but the ridges are still a pain to wrap, so thin coat of epoxy where my wraps went took care of that.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster