I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tiger wrap question.
Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: September 19, 2012 06:06PM

I need to do my first Tiger wrap on a rod. I have done some test wraps, and think I have the "how to" down. I just can't figure out how to get the colors I need for this rod to work. This is a school themed rod, and school colors are kelly green, white, and gold. I need the kelly green to be the main color, and then the white, and finally the gold. I want to use Pearl white and gold metallic thread for the white and gold. I just can't figure out if I use the white and gold as the first wrap, and the kelly green as the second wrap. I really need this to turn out mostly kelly green, and white. The other wraps will be kelly green and pearl white metallic.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tiger wrap question.
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 19, 2012 06:32PM

Did you read the original articles? They're on the library page and explain which layer provides the contrast (bottom) and which layer provides the color (top).

Almost certainly you'd want to use black and white for your bottom layer. Kelly Green on top, and gold for the trim wraps.

Posted by: Brandon Gay (---.rsvlcmta01.rlvlar.lr.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: September 19, 2012 06:34PM

I don't think you could go wrong with either green or white on top. If you go with white pearl metallic then don't use CP and the green will really show through. I did a white/ red bottom and white met on top with no CP and it looked good.

Posted by: ernest sebastian (---.fast.net.id)
Date: September 20, 2012 03:37AM

i cant answer your question because the only tiger pattern i did just black and white(mimicking giant snakefish)

but i have read in another board that you can "predict" your tiger outcome
by taking bottom layer picture with your phone(or any low pixel camera) before any finish apply and watch it through thumbnail or you can simply resize those photo to smaller size

Date: September 20, 2012 07:25AM

The top layer determines the color, the bottom layer the amount of contrast.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 20, 2012 10:14AM

Try some test wraps on scrap different ways to see what it looks like

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.137.112.82.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: September 20, 2012 07:50PM

As Tom said - black and white bottom, kelly green top. Use the gold and white in your trim bands. Here's one i did with black and white on the bottom with teal on top, give you some idea how your kelly green will stand out.[www.rodbuilding.org]

Jersey, Channel Islands. (U.K.)

Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: September 20, 2012 08:42PM

Steve: That is what my test wrap with white and black on the bottom and kelly green on top turned out like. The green was not as green as I wanted it. I can't remember if I used CP on the top wrap or not. I am going to try a couple more test wraps. When you use black and white for the bottom wrap the black basically doesn't show. What would happen with a white and gold bottom wrap, and kelly green top wrap with CP? I will test this for myself, I am just wondering if anyone has an idea how this would work.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Date: September 20, 2012 10:00PM

White and gold on the bottom would provide very little contrast, making the overall effect more subtle.

Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.109.244.87.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: September 21, 2012 09:37AM

You could try green and white (bottom) green (top) but i think your best option is black and white (bottom) green (top) try without cp.

Jersey, Channel Islands. (U.K.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2012 09:40AM by Steve Mcleod.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster